Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Disappointed by ginernet suspension procedures after reaching bandwith limit [resolved]
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Disappointed by ginernet suspension procedures after reaching bandwith limit [resolved]

darknessdarkness Member
edited June 2016 in Providers

Hello. I'm a customer of Ginernet, an spanish hosting provider. I have two VPS with them. I have a fairly low usage, mainly for testing.

The problem started on Tuesday 21th, I was using my VPS but I was not aware of an extreme use of bandwith (indeed i think it was pretty low). Several hours later I received a notice by email my service was suspended (no additional information was provided), so I had to open a ticket asking what was the issue...

They told me I exceeded my monthly bandwith allowance. I think my average bandwith may be ~5GB/month maybe... And the limit is 100GB/month

I didn't undertand how it was possible and I wanted to investigate it. However I could even access my panel to view the usage graph. It only said SUSPENDED, SUSPENDED, SUSPENDED anywhere I looked.

I asked them to give me an additional GB so I could rescue some files I needed. They denied my request and suggested to upgrade to upper plan. And i did, new plan provided 100GB more of bandwith. The VPS wasnt reactivated automatically, so I informed of my payment in the ticket. And this is the funny part of the story...

They replied the ticket at 22/06/2016 07:05 saying the service was reactivated. I didnt see their reply until ~7pm. I was happy to enter my panel and set things up. And I encountered it remained suspended... So I asked again.

And they say all the bandwith was used again! That would be 100GB in only twelve hours. How can that be possible? I sound like a DoS attack.

I am disappointed about their procedure to manage these issues. If my VPS was suspended in first instance, why did they BOOT my VPS without my consent? Is that habitual in the hosting industry? I it exceeded the bandwithd allowance it may mean the should be something that isn't ok. Moreover I didnt receive any notice when I was near the limit. Previously I reached this situation and I received a warning when I used 90% of my bandwith.

I am curious if there are other customers of GinerNet that can confirm this is their way of do things or I am extremely unlucky.

Comments

• So much about their DDoS protection...

• cociucociu Member

and your first post here is a complain ...

Thanked by 3netomx ManofServer tux
  • Have you looked at the possibility that you did not properly secure your vps, causing it to be hacked?

Thanked by 1netomx
  • kkrajkkkrajk Member

cociu said: and your first post here is a complain ...

Why not?

Thanked by 2inthecloudblog rokok
  • ktkt Member, Host Rep

@teamacc said:
    Have you looked at the possibility that you did not properly secure your vps, causing it to be hacked?

This sounds likely cause if it isn't an attack leak. I would ask them to keep the VM shutdown after removing suspension.

• spammyspammy Member
    edited June 2016

Let me guess...SSH port is 22 and password is StrongPassword or 12345? :)

That is why providers should always at least set a strong password as part of the OS reinstall and randomize the SSH port if possible. Many providers does the first, only BandwagonHost does the second as far as I can remember.

• raza19raza19 Veteran

I am also a ginernet customer and to be fair their service has been very nice for me but maybe thats because I dont host any websites,etc on it . This is my second year with them and I have never had any downtime.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Another possible cause would be if your server was an open resolver.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • tr1ckytr1cky Member

Still not a professional way to handle it, even if the customer actually used the traffic.

Also not professional of @jmginer to ignore this thread despite being online.

• jmginerjmginer Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2016

@tr1cky said:
    Still not a professional way to handle it, even if the customer actually used the traffic.

Also not professional of @jmginer to ignore this thread despite being online.

What I can say?

• Server auto-suspended due bandwidth usage
    • The customer do a package upgrade
    • Server reactivated
    • Server auto-suspended due bandwidth usage
    • The customer contact us and we have done a traffic reset, then they can investigate their ¿¿"hack"??

It's a DDoS? I doubt... 200 Mbps of incoming traffic don't trigger our antiddos.

If a server is unsuspended, will return to the previous state before the suspension. If you want unsuspend your server but remain stopped you need ask us and we ususpend and we stop it... But by default, if you server was running before the suspension, after the suspension will be auto-started.

Thanked by 2netomx Mahfuz_SS_EHL
  • Hello. It was my fault. An misconfigured nginx server was running and it was being used as a proxy server. Thanks to @jmginer for the extra bandwidth. I hope my complaint could be take as a constructive critic.

Thanked by 1rds100
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

darkness said: I hope my complaint could be take as a constructive critic.

As, for you, right? I don't think as @tr1cky , I think @jmginer do it OK.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@darkness said:
    Hello. It was my fault. An misconfigured nginx server was running and it was being used as a proxy server. Thanks to @jmginer for the extra bandwidth. I hope my complaint could be take as a constructive critic.

Cool. I added "[resolved]" to the title.

Thanked by 2jmginer netomx
  • tr1ckytr1cky Member

Okay, this time it was the customer's fault but we all know solusvm traffic bugs happen and if I was the provider I would at least provide some sort of evidence or provide the customer with logs so that the customer can resolve the issue.

• A fairer title:
    Ginernet - suspended by bandwidth overusage two times [resolved]

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

tr1cky said: sort of evidence or provide the customer with logs so that the customer can resolve the issue.

Or he could check his own VPS, don't you think? He overused, he paid, they give him more BW, and he overused again, suspended, and he goes to LET instead of checking his VPS first

• NixtrenNixtren Member
    edited June 2016

@netomx said:
    Or he could check his own VPS, don't you think? He overused, he paid, they give him more BW, and he overused again, suspended, and he goes to LET instead of checking his VPS first

He asked jmginer 1GB of bandwidth so he could check what was going on, but the provider refused it and asked him to upgrade to the next plan. The client had no way to check his VPS meanwhile. When he saw the updated ticket the server was already suspended again.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member

@Jarland, IMO you should change the title to something that in a first look is not bad for ginernet. From OP's answer, it is completely clear that all the fault is on him, and by having a thread here with this title, a quick look could give negative feeling about this provider (it is like a 0,99 in a price... It is actually 1 but the first thought is giving "below 1").

Thanked by 1netomx
  • it's clear,, enough

@jvnadr said:
    @Jarland, IMO you should change the title to something that in a first look is not bad for ginernet. From OP's answer, it is completely clear that all the fault is on him, and by having a thread here with this title, a quick look could give negative feeling about this provider (it is like a 0,99 in a price... It is actually 1 but the first thought is giving "below 1").

I think the title isn't too bad. My main points are "disappointed" which is an expression of emotion rather than an accusation of wrongdoing, and suspended for bandwidth overage is accurate.

Thanked by 3netomx pedagang raza19
  • raza19raza19 Veteran

@jarland said:

I think the title isn't too bad. My main points are "disappointed" which is an expression of emotion rather than an accusation of wrongdoing, and suspended for bandwidth overage is accurate.

The funny thing is this title gives the impression that the entirety of ginernet is disappointed with something :) more like skynet with humanity.

• darknessdarkness Member
    edited June 2016

@jvnadr said:

I agree, but how can I change the title?

darkness said: I agree, but how can I change the title?

What do you want it to say?

• dailydaily Member

I think the thread title is fine.

"Ginernet dissapointed". Probably.

• darknessdarkness Member
    edited June 2016

@jarland said:

darkness said: I agree, but how can I change the title?

What do you want it to say?

Disapointed by ginernet suspension procedures after reaching bandwith limit

Mainly:
    * No warning email when usage is near to limit
    * No automatic unsuspension after upgrading to higher plan
    * No questions regarding I wanted my VPS being booted automatically

Luckily all solved after all

Regards

Done

• edited June 2016

Jeez, finally we can put this to rest!

No, wait...maybe all parties must vote on the proper title. Just kidding, never mind. ;)

Thanked by 1zafouhar
  • @globalRegisters said:

No, wait...maybe all parties must vote on the proper title. Never mind. ;)

We should start a referendum. And call it Titlexit.

Thanked by 1globalRegisters
  • @zafouhar said:

@globalRegisters said:

No, wait...maybe all parties must vote on the proper title. Never mind. ;)

We should start a referendum. And call it Titlexit.

I for one support that motion!

Thanked by 1zafouhar