Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What package is this part of?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What package is this part of?

jhjh Member
edited March 2013 in Help

Does anyone know which packages I need to install on CentOS, Debian or OSX to get this functionality?

CPATH=/usr/local/cross/bin
AS=${CPATH}/i586-elf-as
CC=${CPATH}/i586-elf-gcc
LD=${CPATH}/i586-elf-ld
CFLAGS="-Wall -Wextra -Werror -fno-builtin"
LDFLAGS="-nostdlib -nostartfiles -nodefaultlibs"

Comments

• Is this a really old software package?

• nstormnstorm Member
    edited March 2013

Some crosscompiling toolchains...
    Just change the CPATH and AS, CC, LD to your current (modern) compiler. Should work.
    EDIT: oh well or just comment these lines out (but leave CFLAGS & LDFLAGS) to use default values.

More info here for example http://wiki.osdev.org/GCC_Cross-Compiler

• jhjh Member

So I can just change them to GCC?

• @jhadley just comment them out like I've said in previous edit and you'll get your default gcc compiling it (make sure you have it installed ofc).

• jhjh Member

Didn't work - the script is clearly built for that compiler. Anyone know of an OS that uses that compiler or will take it?

• Whats the error? Whats your system compiler target (gcc --version)? Probably you are having a x86_64 system and that one requires x86 target (it doesn't makes much difference between i686 and i585 or even i386).
    Or another reason is that it requires old gcc version.
    I'd say that Gentoo Linux are suited for having various gcc versions / crosscompliers (crossdev package are very cool there).

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

on debian you can use "apt-file search" to find what package to install if you know the filename.

I wrote a post about it today actually :)

• @MikHo It's not related to the packages.
    It's just the makefile for the sources, which points to use i585 crosscompiler. Debian and no other modern binary distro won't include i585 cross-compiler. You have to complite it yourself. May use helper scripts for toolchains like buildroot. Or crossdev on gentoo.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

the point I tried to make was that a file could be missing because of a package not being installed ...

• jhjh Member
    edited March 2013

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, @nstorm.

I've set up a Ubuntu 10.04 VPS (oldest image I could find - thought I'd have the best chance). I then Googled around for some guides on how to set this up, and found an apt repo that doesn't work and this:
    http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=29786

Unfortunately that guide doesn't seem to work either. Apart from the really obvious things it's missing, I'm getting some weird errors as well, for example:

configure: error: libgmp not found or uses a different ABI.

Again, Googling doesn't seem to produce much.

This is for a university assignment and we've been provided with a 7.5GB VirtualBox image, which would take about 24 hours to download on my connection, and I don't really want VirtualBox on my computer.

Do you know of any OS that includes this stuff? Or would it be easier to just set up VirtualBox and start downloading this beast? (The assignment is already late...)

Or an alternative would be installing VirtualBox on one of my KVM boxes (yay for double virtualisation...). Not sure if that would work...

• twaintwain Member

Vdi? Vhd? Cant you convert that to raw or qemu or some other format and then use the virt platform of your choice?

• jhjh Member
    edited March 2013

VDI. Great if I can but never done it before.

• VBoxManage should be able to convert it to raw for you, I know I've converted images from Virtualbox to use with Xen before, something like:
    VBoxManage clonehd input.vdi output.raw -format raw

• jhjh Member

OnApp won't take RAW files. I'll just bite the bullet and download the 7.5GB file on my very dodgy connection and hope it doesn't drop :/

Thanks @nstorm & @Martin

• @jhadley said: OnApp won't take RAW files. I'll just bite the bullet and download the 7.5GB file on my very dodgy connection and hope it doesn't drop :/

I can put it into a VPS for you to give you chance to do what you need, if it would help?

• jhjh Member

Lifesaver! PM sent..

• tuxtux Member

@jhadley said: Unfortunately that guide doesn't seem to work either. Apart from the really obvious things it's missing, I'm getting some weird errors as well, for example:

configure: error: libgmp not found or uses a different ABI.

Again, Googling doesn't seem to produce much.

You need -dev package

apt-cache search libgmp | grep dev
  • @jhadley said: OnApp won't take RAW files. I'll just bite the bullet and download the 7.5GB file on my very dodgy connection and hope it doesn't drop :/

Or just fire up a VM instance install virtualbox, then download the image to the VM and use from there (assuming you can do what you need via VNC/RDP

• Load up a random VM you have, install VNC, throw VirtBox, download @ 1Gbit speeds and have mega fun.

Good luck with the assignment.

• dmmcintyre3dmmcintyre3 Member
    edited March 2013

just use dd to write the raw file onto any KVM VPS

see the second half of http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/206140#Comment_206140

• flyfly Member

raw file is literally a raw filesystem. if you dd it on a vps that uses a non-janky virtualization (xen/kvm) it'll boot no problem

• @jhadley good luck with your assignment!