Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

what difference VPS and cloud VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

what difference VPS and cloud VPS?

your ideas?

Comments

• NekkiNekki Veteran

One very obvious difference.

If you use the term 'cloud VPS' you're a massive cunt.

If you use the term 'VPS', you're just a regular cunt like the rest of us.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Most of time, it's a gimmick which hosts talks out of their asses.

Thanked by 1dosai
  • defaultdefault Veteran

Sometimes search engines are your friend: https://myhosting.com/vps-vs-cloud/

• Cloud VPS just means it's stored on someones physical server somewhere... VPS means it's stored on someones physical somewhere...

Difference? None.

P.S Some companies say cloud when they use SSD's for storage.

• noamannoaman Member
    edited June 2016

@Thomas001 said:
    your ideas?

Well there isn't much difference...

If you can spin a VM from front end and delete it destroy it....and create snapshots ...assign different ip to different IP VM...I.e floating ips....paid hourly and usually ssd ...yes they are cloud vps company..

• just marketing strategy i think.

but most who claim cloud vps is offer High Availability and Scalable. and usually offer snapshot and hourly billing features.

• LiteServerLiteServer Member, Patron Provider

The term 'Cloud' is most of the time just used for Marketing. Some people think "cloud" is just better, which is not right in case it's just a regular VPS.
    In my opinion, the term "Cloud" is only valid in case the VPS is running on a HA cluster - setups that are price wise much more expensive.
    So if you're looking for a "Cloud" service, dig up some information about the platform they're using :-)

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited June 2016

LiteServer said: In my opinion, the term "Cloud" is only valid in case the VPS is running on a HA cluster - setups that are price wise much more expensive.

This is how the company I work for has always thought of the term and is what we generally offer, FULL HA where your server can be restarted on another hypervisor almost immediately upon a physical failure (usually includes mirrored drive images on 2 or more physical servers so that is a single failure occurs your server can still be restarted elsewhere and a new mirror built.

However, most groups like 'Digital Ocean' and 'Vultr' and the like have tried to make it about the dashboard and the tools they provide instead, such as floating ips, point and click scalability, etc. Though I don't think I would call this 'Cloud', more so a 'fancy' vps with some extra (albeit nice) features.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Thanked by 1MivoCloud
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Nekki said: If you use the term 'cloud VPS' you're a massive cunt.

I think the right term there is "scalable cunt".

Regular cunts like us require downtime (aka a "bender") to become bigger cunts.

Thanked by 1noaman
  • DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2016

Cloud VPS means big shark like Google/Amazon want to fool peoples by using term "Cloud VPS" and their next target is "Cloudless VPS" or "Universe VPS".

Universe Hosting Your each files will be hosted on different different planet like Mars, Jupiter, Saturn so your site will be get 200% extra uptime and fast speed than cloud hosting.

Thanked by 1shovenose