Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A new low end VPS project by 96MB.com - Low End Press
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

A new low end VPS project by 96MB.com - Low End Press

96mb96mb Member
edited March 2013 in General

Since @AnthonySmith posted the offer here, I really thought it would be an interesting experiment to set up a production site on this tiny 3Euro per year VPS and after a bit of trial and error (and thanks to @prometeus for offering the 50 cents VPS that works as a IPv4 reverse proxy, since there are only NAT IPv4 provided by InceptionHosting), LowEndPress.com is finally up and running!

Basically, I hope LowEndPress would be a sort of news + how-to + other random interesting things happens on low end VPS community, and unlike 96MB.com, where I am doing the majority of writing (other than the reviews that @jcaleb has done recently), I thought it would be a great idea to have other people start to post and write on it. For now the registration is closed, however if anyone is interested in posting something, feel free to send me the posting via email or PM. Eventually I will add some reputable members who would be interested in contributing as team members to the site as well.

Providers are more than welcome to send me any news, etc, that the low end VPS community would be interested, however at least for now, I won't be considering posting any offers, since in my view LEB/LET has done a great job posting those things.

Meanwhile, if you are interested in taking a detailed look at the set up (including some problems/issues), feel free to take a look at my first post:

http://lowendpress.com/node/2

You can also see the current activity level here:

http://mon.lowendpress.com/localdomain/localhost.localdomain/index.html

As usual, feedbacks are always welcome!

Comments

• Wow, looks awesome.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Thats the spirit! Even if the drupal looks aint the prettiest one out there, it sure is snappy when loading (even over ipv4)

• 96mb96mb Member

@AstroProfundis said: Wow, looks awesome.

Thanks!

@MikHo said: Thats the spirit! Even if the drupal looks aint the prettiest one out there, it sure is snappy when loading (even over ipv4)

Thanks, yes, Wordpress would be my favourite but unfortunately it does not handle too well with the non-standard port (which was apparently a bug in the Wordpress design that I was not aware of until this time!)

• @MikHo said: even over ipv4

pardon my ignorance, how does ipv4 make a difference?

• 96mb96mb Member

@vanarp said: pardon my ignorance, how does ipv4 make a difference?

I think what @Mikho meant is because in this case the VPS itself does not come with external IPv4, I have to set up a reverse proxy in Italy to make sure it is visible to the IPv4 part of the world.

• @96mb said: I think what @Mikho meant is because in this case the VPS itself does not come with external IPv4, I have to set up a reverse proxy in Italy to make sure it is visible to the IPv4 part of the world.

Okay. Thanks for explaining it. I initially thought you did setup some Nginx reverse proxy kind of thing.

I think you probably will run into memory issues with this 64mb vps unless you rely on static generators. For WP it could be Really Static plugin or these, but not sure about Drupal. Would love to see your my.cnf and php configs if you do not mind.

• 96mb96mb Member

@vanarp said: initially thought you did setup some Nginx reverse proxy kind of thing

Yes I did, just to make sure things will run on port 80 since the port 80 of the 3 euro VPS from inceptionhosting is off-limit to the customers. However IPv6 is native and the Nginx reverse proxy handles nothing other than port forwarding.

@vanarp said: run into memory issues with this 64mb vps unless you rely on static generators

Nope, no static generator planned (not sure if there is any in Drupal as well), but again, the site, at least for now, is not designed to handle like a million PVs a day so I guess the memory should hold up for now, we'll see, to be honest I am a little worried about munin though since I know it uses quite a bit of CPU power and I have not used munin on such a low end VPS before.

@vanarp said: Would love to see your my.cnf and php configs if you do not mind.

Those are mostly just stock Percona my.cnf and php-fpm config with some minor tweakings. A lot of things in Percona were got rid of during compiling and the new Mysql/Percona is really good at taking care of low memory VPS.

@96mb
    @vanarp

Yes, sorry for that. I was talking about the extra added latency going thru italy first.

• Doesn't cloudflare provide ipv4 proxying for ipv6? A lot better than having people connect to Italy imo, and it's free

• @bronzebyte

You mean trough cloudflare I can make my ipv6 sites available to non ipv6 visitors?

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited March 2013

Technically once it is setup I believe he can as @AnthonySmith to add the site to the nginx transparent proxy that will be setup on the public ipv4 for customers. I am sure for now @96mb is just allowing Anthony to get everything settled and using another method till that is ready (or not?).

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@96mb thanks for taking some time on this.

I think you may have missed the point slightly though on the IPv4, the €3 p/year offer gives you a NAT'ed IPv4 address, I already have a reverse proxy running on the host node and can add entries for you so you do not need to use an external IPv4 address at all.

You just point your A records at the second interface which handles the reverse proxying ask me to add an entry and that's it :)

I think the confusion came about as you were requesting domain:port to be forwarded which is a separate thing

• @AstroProfundis said: Wow, looks awesome.

This.
    @96mb You are impressive. How did you setup also mysql in the same box? Some kind of special tuning?

I have opened up 5 more slots ahead of the next offer in light of this post, Steve I will get a guide up on the forum for an optimal mysql config too.

• @AnthonySmith
    That's great, thanks. :)

• @taronyu said: You mean trough cloudflare I can make my ipv6 sites available to non ipv6 visitors?

I think so, at least it gives ipv6 visitors an appropiate IP when you enable it

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited March 2013

@96mb
    Sorry but using CloudFlare is cheating :)
    Remove it and make the site directly accessible, so that people can see the performance of the LowEndVPS itself (and of the reverse proxy), not of CloudFlare's powerful worldwide CDN.
    Sure you would use CF on a random regular site, but if you make a site specifically to make a point of "look how well everything runs on just 64MB of RAM", I think you need to show it w/o CF.

• 96mb96mb Member

@BronzeByte said: Doesn't cloudflare provide ipv4 proxying for ipv6? A lot better than having people connect to Italy imo, and it's free

Nope, it seems to be the other way round, they proxy IPv4 to IPv6 (i.e., if your website does not have IPv6 address people in the IPv6 only world can also see your site), but not the other way unfortunately.

@AnthonySmith said: You just point your A records at the second interface which handles the reverse proxying ask me to add an entry and that's it :)

Thanks Anthony, I have put in a ticket, let's discuss it there and see how it works.

@rm_ said: Sorry but using CloudFlare is cheating :)

Remove it and make the site directly accessible, so that people can see the performance of the LowEndVPS itself (and of the reverse proxy), not of CloudFlare's powerful worldwide CDN.

I was a bit afraid that some people will do some load testing on the site and destroy it for fun, since like what I said, such configuration is definitely not meant to handle a million PVs a day. However that is a good point, I am talking to Anthony to see if I can avoid the @prometeus layer, if not I may also move my reverse proxy to NL to further reduce latency. Anyone knows a really low end VPS provider in NL?

@Steve81 said: Some kind of special tuning?

It is basically a Percona 5.5 DB (which is based off MySQL and is my new favorite recently), except I compiled from the source code and got rid of a whole bunch of stuff that won't be running on such a low end VPS.

• tridinebandimtridinebandim Member
    edited March 2013

:) i got confused, if i open a ticket i pay you 3 euro?

i opened a ticket about ipv4 adress and reverse proxy

will i be able to access vps like ipv4adress:3401 ?

3401 : one of the ports assigned to me

• 96mb96mb Member

@tridinebandim said: :) i got confused, if i open a ticket i pay you 3 euro?

Anthony has never charged me for a ticket, the VPS itself cost 3 euro per year.

• I managed to nab one of the five stock that were added :).

I think it's a really great idea, once you offer more locations it would be a great platform for a really cheap HA setup or CDN

@rm performance to some degree can be seen on http://forum.lowendspirit.com this is not behind cloudflair, mikho helped me test it and it handled around 2200 requests p/second at peak.

Regarding the support costs, it is quite clear that this product does not come with any support during sign up, however that would only be enforced if the information is already readily available to you and you chose not to bother looking first, as requests come in I will make knowledge base documents for people.

The forum should also be used for none urgent community support.

@96mb's tickets are a little out of the ordinary as it is a first of type so I don't mind helping with that at all.

The whole service is a fledgling one, no doubt I have not considered some things and it is helpful to iron things out via tickets to both parties.

A common question now is 'how do I set up A records' which I really cannot help with beyond telling people to contact their registrar/DNS host.

Anthony.

• 96mb96mb Member

@AnthonySmith said: @96mb's tickets are a little out of the ordinary as it is a first of type so I don't mind helping with that at all.

Thanks Anthony.

As an additional note I am looking to stand the next location up within 2 weeks, would any one be offended if it was €5 p/year for 128MB or do people think 64mb should be the base?

@AnthonySmith said: it handled around 2200 requests p/second at peak.

I think that was right before the response time started to increase. It did handle higher load.

• @AnthonySmith

I would prefer 64mb as the base to be honest and maybe offer 128mb ram as an upgrade

edited March 2013

@titanicsaled said: I would prefer 64mb as the base to be honest and maybe offer 128mb ram as an upgrade

Have to agree, in the low end spirit... 64 would be enough and there are many providers offering 128 mb.

But, a possible upgrade would be a good choice, so that more people can enjoy it.
    Or--- offer stackable resources ... get two, combine to one .. regarding Ram, Cpu, Disk, Bandwidth

Sounds good,

The only reason I ask is the RAM/containers would be out of balance at 64mb on the next server I am looking at.

I suppose I could create a RAM drive and use it like others use SSD cache, if anyone has any experience with this I would love to hear from them.

• IshaqIshaq Member

Good idea behind this.

Good luck.

• @AnthonySmith said: I am looking to stand the next location up within 2 weeks

What is the next location going to be?

@AnthonySmith said: it handled around 2200 requests p/second at peak

Great performance indeed! Did every request hit the database?

@AnthonySmith said: would any one be offended if it was €5 p/year for 128MB or do people think 64mb should be the base?

I will prefer 64mb or 96mb with 1 ipv4 instead. Will that be doable?