Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this Ok?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is this Ok?

hyena56hyena56 Member

I have received an email from my provide about copyrighted infridgement and was asking me $150 is it ok not to pay my VPS is from OVH (century1stop) and it was for downloading game of thrones via bittorrent via vpn thank you, also the file was already deleted by the doer and i suspend his account (vpn subscriber) thank you.

Comments

• tommytommy Member

ignore it

• How long did you even seed it... My partner uses my Kimsufi to download GoT (and software) from public trackers and whatever, then doesn't pause them - but I haven't got any DMCA. I paused them though.

• rokokrokok Member

Thanked by 1iKeyZ
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

ignore it

• JustAMacUserJustAMacUser Member
    edited June 2016

Is this based on Canada? There are some newer laws where rights holders just contact ISPs and the ISPs have to forward the message to the users. You can Google about it. If this is the case, in the end you can just ignore it. The only way you're required to pay is if they take you to court and you lose the case. The rights holders don't even get info about you other than an IP address, they just send the ISP an email and the ISP forwards it.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@JustAMacUser said:
    Is this based on Canada? There are some newer laws where rights holders just contact ISPs and the ISPs have to forward the message to the users. You can Google about it. If this is the case, in the end you can just ignore it. The only way you're required to pay is if they take you to court and you lose the case. The rights holders don't even get info about you other than an IP address, they just send the ISP an email and the ISP forwards it.

I don't think many ISPs would be willing to go to court so their customer can download game of thrones though ;)

• JustAMacUserJustAMacUser Member
    edited June 2016

@jarland,

I agree. But my point is this is just step one for the rights holders. The OP asked if he had to pay, the answer is he doesn't. Not unless he's proven guilty in a court of law (which in Canada the amount is legislatively capped anyway, from what I've heard).

OVH is often used in Canada and they have these stupid new laws, so I just wanted to let the OP know. He certainly should not expect his provider to fight a battle for him.

• ATHKATHK Member

@jarland said:
    I don't think many ISPs would be willing to go to court so their customer can download game of thrones though ;)

Then the clients service should be suspended.

I love our laws here in Australia, you American's/Canadian's seem to have it very tough.. $150 in damages is absurd .. Here you would be forced to pay the admission fee for the cinema or if the show is no longer in cinemas the price of the DVD/Blueray. Which is .. in the end the actual loss of revenue from piracy.

Thanked by 1iKeyZ
  • America is bad. In Canada I don't think there's even been a case that's gone to an actual trial...

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

@ATHK said:

@jarland said:

I love our laws here in Australia, you American's/Canadian's seem to have it very tough.. $150 in damages is absurd .. Here you would be forced to pay the admission fee for the cinema or if the show is no longer in cinemas the price of the DVD/Blueray. Which is .. in the end the actual loss of revenue from piracy.

In NZ, Hollywood copyright trolls don't even know we exist and assume the location is fake. IMO... Testament to the fact some group/person was seeding latest releases from his house for yonks before the govt did something bout it.

Also, HBO is a joke... Isn't the app still down? and if they own the licence then why cant they rent to over seas people?

Thanked by 1iKeyZ
  • ATHKATHK Member

@pbgben said:

@ATHK said:

@jarland said:

In NZ, Hollywood copyright trolls don't even know we exist and assume the location is fake. IMO... Testament to the fact some group/person was seeding latest releases from his house for yonks before the govt did something bout it.

Also, HBO is a joke... Isn't the app still down? and if they own the licence then why cant they rent to over seas people?

Because Murica.

In all honesty I have no idea why they restrict access by country. Obviously it's just forcing us to piracy. It's not something I'm proud of either.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

JustAMacUser said: OVH is often used in Canada

since when?!

@netomx said:

since when?!

Dis a joke ryt?

Thanked by 1netomx

@ATHK said:

@pbgben said:

@ATHK said:

@jarland said:

Because Murica.

In all honesty I have no idea why they restrict access by country. Obviously it's just forcing us to piracy. It's not something I'm proud of either.

Being from APAC, I read the AUS Gizmodo... Its full of "Stories" about how honest people have tried to pay to watch GOT and have been rejected, no other way unfortunately.

Film industry should just factor it in like physical retails have to do with stock, things get broken / lost /stolen all the time in the retail industry and its just accepted. Hollywood are just money whores, it costs them more in fighting piracy as they dont make anything back. Putting a pirate behind bars of bankrupting them wont make them want to pay for your content, hell, if you take the poor guys money how can he pay you!

Ridiculous.

Piracy is bad tho, I don't agree with it.

• @netomx said:

since when?!

Often doesn't mean always or mostly. It just means frequently. And I think a quick search of LET shows they come up frequently. That, along with the OP's question, led to my response.

• ATHKATHK Member

pbgben said: Piracy is bad tho, I don't agree with it.

I paid for Netflix, I paid for Hulu to watch their American content .. now I'm blocked from doing so .. I did the stupid thing and stocked my Hulu up with over $100 in credit..

That said I did have access to a HBO sub, and now that's gone too ..

I'd be damned if I'm going to pay $70 + dollars a month to watch GOT for a few months and be stuck in a 1 - 2 year contract or pay $80 + p/m to not be in a contract.

There's no competition over here and we get shat upon because of it.

• the service will be suspended/terminated for failure to comply with terms, should their fiasco continue.........being tolerant don't get you any where nowadays