Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ShoveHost Canada VPS customers are being moved to BlueVM. - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ShoveHost Canada VPS customers are being moved to BlueVM.

Comments

• @Nekki said: shovenose has said in the thread that you can open a ticket to be migrated to a US node.

really?seems that i missing somthing..

infact I am happy with both BlueVM and shovehost..

so why not transfer one to BlueVM and remain one in shovehost
    I donot know what will be happend in the future?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@ynzheng said: really?seems that i missing somthing..

Sorry, I misread. Looks like you've just got to order a new package from scratch.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

@ynzheng you just paid $7 to renew. I can apply it as account credit and you can order a fresh VPS and it will be the US. glad to have your business. :-)

• earlearl Member
    edited March 2013

@dosserversca said: so he probelly take E3 and if he put 35 clients

He is actually running it on the i5!

35IP's x$7 p/m Plan= $245 - $59(SP1) = $186 - $20(extended features option)=$166 -$10(solusVM license)= $146 p/m

@Nekki said: @dosserversca Location issues aside, moving the customers to BlueVM was probably a sensible decision by shovenose

He was just lucky that BlueVM made an offer to purchase I'm sure he would have sold to Hostrail had that been the only offer!

• dosserverscadosserversca Member
    edited March 2013

@earl
    The profit is nice on I5 but its only 4 cores put on it 35 VPS will kill the server also as you know I5 its for home not for server :(

I hope BlueVM movint it to normal node (server not home)

edited March 2013

@dosserversca I'm sorry but you're just a blathering idiot.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@shovenose why didn't you offer to move your clients to your US servers?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@dosserversca said: I hope BlueVM movint it to normal node (server not home)

I'm fairly sure that BlueVM won't be deploying desktop hardware anytime soon.

@Nick_A I don't know. Our US location is further from Canada than BlueVM's.

@Nekki neither are we. Our US nodes run Intel Xeon CPUs.

• earlearl Member
    edited March 2013

@dosserversca said: The profit is nice on I5 but its only 4 cores put on it 35 VPS will kill the server

I don't know if that's possible or not, it was the specs given in their lowendbox offer, provisioned on either a Xeon or a core i5.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@shovenose said: @Nick_A I don't know. Our US location is further from Canada than BlueVM's.

I mean some clients would rather stick with a provider regardless of location. Just wondering why you didn't at least offer that to them.

• @earl said: I don't know if that's possible or not, it was the specs given in their lowendbox offer, provisioned on either a Xeon or a core i5.

Yes i know thats why im saying puting 35 vps clients on I5 will kill the server (and its OVH remember they dont have fans on the servers only water cooling its maybe green but water cant cool the server enough like if it was also a fan on the CPU)

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@shovenose said: @Nekki neither are we. Our US nodes run Intel Xeon CPUs.

I didn't suggest that you would, I was just addressing dosserversca's odd comment about blue VM using desktop hardware.

• @dosserversca said: Yes i know thats why im saying puting 35 vps clients on I5 will kill the server (and its OVH remember they dont have fans on the servers only water cooling its maybe green but water cant cool the server enough like if it was also a fan on the CPU)

You are an idiot indeed, 14Ghz not enough for 35 customers? Well, I wonder what you were running on your VPS then

The servers in the video don't have fans because the global airco does the work, also the metal cases takes away the heat.

• MiguelQMiguelQ Member
    edited March 2013

@dosserversca said: they dont have fans on the servers only water cooling its maybe green but water cant cool the server enough like if it was also a fan on the CPU

Lets educate ourselves a little regarding that matter: thermacore.com/thermal-basics/dispersing-heat.aspx
    koolance.com/cooling101-heat-transfer

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
    edited March 2013

@shovenose said: neither are we. Our US nodes run Intel Xeon CPUs.

http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/shovehost-7month-2048mb-openvz-vps-in-beauharnois-canada/#comments

But anyway, the "2 SATA drives in RAID-1" will probably kill performance before CPU.

• NoxterNoxter Member
    edited March 2013

@dosserversca said: (and its OVH remember they dont have fans on the servers only water cooling its maybe green but water cant cool the server enough like if it was also a fan on the CPU)

Haha. You clearly don't speak from any form of experience. I've had my OVH server maxed at 100% load (due to some looping PHP code) for hours (all night, about 6 hours) and it was fine (minus the downtime due to the tied up processes).

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep

@Shovenose Doesn't explain why you didn't even your customers the option.

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited March 2013

@dosserversca said: The profit is nice on I5 but its only 4 cores

E3-12xx's are technically only 4 cores too (4 cores/8 threads). :P

suggestion for a new LET rule: providers who are obvious to the difference between cores and threads should be forced to stand in the corner for a few hours while we lob spitballs at them :P

@dosserversca said: 35 vps clients on I5 will kill the server

The processor isn't the only factor that can kill a server's performance. Disk in/out is another biggie. A Dacentec dual L5420 with 8 physical cores and their stock 40MB/s crap drives in a raid1 array (which I've seen many providers use) might actually die before an i5-3570 with sata II's (and avg in/out of 140MB/s) if you have a bunch of users running disk intensive tasks.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Noxter said: Haha. You clearly don't speak from any form of experience. I've had my OVH server maxed at 100% load (due to some looping PHP code) for hours (all night, about 6 hours) and it was fine (minus the downtime due to the tied up processes).

Same here, my newznab install runs at 100% CPU constantly, had done for about 3 months, no issues.

• I5 can't take 35 VPS? Good old days of FDC, Pentium 4 , raid 1 storage and 5000~ shared hosting clients on a 10mbps shared connection.

-sobs-

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited March 2013

@shovenose said on March 8th: "Our US nodes run Intel Xeon CPUs."
    @shovenose said on February 24th (LEB offer): "Our US nodes use either AMD Opteron or Intel Xeon CPUs; all have RAID1 or RAID10"

//facepalm//

• AmitzAmitz Member

Offtopic: What I really love about LET is the extensive usage of the word "we" if one-man-and-their-dog-providers talk about themselves. This is, of course, not shovenose specific and it always makes me laugh out loud. Don't you feel stupid yourself claiming to be a real company while operating from your parents' house or school rooming house?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@Amitz said: What I really love about LET is the extensive usage of the word "we" if one-man-and-their-dog-providers talk about themselves.

Popes, Kings, and budget VPS companies invariably use the first person plural.

• AmitzAmitz Member

Because all 3 never know how long they are alive and want to spend that time as glorious as possible? ;-)

• @raindog308 said: Popes, Kings, and budget VPS companies invariably use the first person plural.

Don't confuse delusions of grandeur with the Majestic plural! :)

Yes, it is "we", there are two and half people behind ShoveHost.
    And yes, also we don't use AMD nodes anymore. The one we had failed badly and took all the data with it. Now we just use Intel Xeon.

• @shovenose said: Yes, it is "we", there are two and half people behind ShoveHost.

I don't find that funny. Instead of dodging, how about you answer what peoples are asking? Or does that mean that you are not capable of migrating containers?

What is funny about that? Me, somebody else who does some support, and is now managing funds, and another friend who occassionally assists ShoveHost customers.