Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Namecheap now accepts Bitcoin
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Namecheap now accepts Bitcoin

joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
edited March 2013 in General

We're delighted to inform you that we now accept the Bitcoin payment method, in addition to PayPal, Google CheckOut, Visa, Mastercard, and American Express. Bitcoin is a decentralized P2P currency that enables instant payments. Use Bitcoin to purchase domains, web hosting, SSL certificates, or WhoisGuard on Namecheap.

https://www.namecheap.com/support/payment-options/bitcoin.aspx

Article on TheNextWeb: http://thenextweb.com/insider/2013/03/05/domain-registrar-and-web-host-namecheap-begins-accepting-payment-via-bitcoin/

Comments

• DStroutDStrout Member
    edited March 2013

Yeah, I noticed that too. So... why doesn't Bitcoin appear as a currency option in the header (between Whois and "24x7 Support")?

Also: this.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@DStrout said: Yeah, I noticed that too. So... why doesn't Bitcoin appear as a currency option in the header (between Whois and "24x7 Support")?

I suspect they still have to update the template. Content management, shopping cart implementation, and website layout/design are probably all different people :)

• High anonymous reg. now.
    Don't know Good or Bad -.-

M.

• NickkNickk Member

@MikeIn said: Don't know Good or Bad -.-

Terrible idea. Going to be a lot of extra work for Namecheap for little gain.

@MikeIn said: High anonymous reg. now.

Don't know Good or Bad -.-

M.

You still need to provide valid contact information for your domain to prevent it from being killed by ICANN (if someone complains). I doubt this makes a difference in that regard.

@Nick said: Terrible idea. Going to be a lot of extra work for Namecheap for little gain.

Source? Or assumption?

• NickkNickk Member

@joepie91 said: Source? Or assumption?

Chances are if you aren't even going to use paypal or any proper payment source then you are going to bullshit the registration details. It means lots of user accounts will get flagged for fraud and who wants customers with fake details anyway.

@Nick said: Chances are

Assumption.

@Nick said: if you aren't even going to use paypal or any proper payment source

And Bitcoin is not a 'proper payment source' because?

@Nick said: then you are going to bullshit the registration details.

Why?

@Nick said: It means lots of user accounts will get flagged for fraud

You think that normally doesn't happen? You have any idea what the fraud rates on creditcards are like?

@Nick said: and who wants customers with fake details anyway.

People that have no interest in the identity of their customers, and just provide a service for a payment?

All I see in the above post is a lot of assumptions without supporting arguments, based on other assumptions, deriving from other assumptions, and nowhere is an actual fact or hard statistic provided.

• NickkNickk Member

@joepie91 said: nowhere is an actual fact or hard statistic provided.

Wow calm down dude.

• @joepie91 bitcoin fanboy a little huh? :-)

But seriously, all valid points.. people are scared of the unknown. Interesting to see if bitcoin gets more legitimized.

edited March 2013

@Nick said: Wow calm down dude.

No, I'm tired of people throwing out all kind of assumed crap without ever providing any valid basis for it. There's enough FUD going around as it is.

Show that you have a valid argument, and provide the requested reasoning - something that should take 5 minutes to do if you already know your reasons for stating all of the above. You should have the reasoning before drawing the conclusion.

If you're unable to do that, I can only assume that you never had a valid argument to begin with and are just blindly rehashing what others are saying without actually understanding it.

EDIT: Need I remind you, that you have not answered a single question I asked above?

@unused said: @joepie91 bitcoin fanboy a little huh? :-)

An enthusiast, yes. A fanboy, no. I recognize the issues that exist with Bitcoin, but I have a very low tolerance for people throwing out all kinds of parrotted FUD bullshit that has no basis in reality (and then, when confronted with their lack of knowledge on the topic, often start throwing out personal insults or changing the topic).

• @joepie91 said: And Bitcoin is not a 'proper payment source' because?

In Europe: As it has no official exchange rate to EUR you can't pay the correct tax on the earnings (or only very complicated)

edited March 2013

@William said: In Europe: As it has no official exchange rate to EUR you can't pay the correct tax on the earnings (or only very complicated)

Not quite sure what that has to do with "proper payment source" in the context of registering a domain... Just sounds like a legislative to-do list item to me. For comparison: tomatoes being hard to declare for taxes as a payment method, does not mean that paying your registrar with tomatoes will automatically mean you're up to no good.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@joepie91 said: Not quite sure what that has to do with "proper payment source" in the context of registering a domain...

you need to declare taxes (if applicable)

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Given that BC provides little to no anonymity, this announcement is about as exciting as them announcing they were adding AlertPay or something.

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Anonymity

That's my, er, two cents...

@raindog308 said: Given that BC provides little to no anonymity, this announcement is about as exciting as them announcing they were adding AlertPay or something.

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Anonymity

That's my, er, two cents...

Well, no. The exciting thing about this, is that it's a decentralized currency backed by no 'official' institutions, that they have started to accept. Honestly, I don't really care about the anonymity aspect here, domain name registrations are the wrong business to expect anonymity in to begin with. It's just a large step in terms of the perceived legitimacy of Bitcoin.

• krokro Member

Thanks joe

• Isnt Bitcoin a actual currency as defined by a bank somewher? :S

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

I think from now onwards, lots of people will get these "highend vps, for lowend prices" and keep on mining bitcoins >.>

Behold your selves hosts, the farmers are here!

• @rsk said: Behold your selves hosts, the farmers are here!

Not to fear, my autokill script is here!

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

We accept bitcoins from last 2 - 3 month and today I sell this at double profit..

(When we start accepting bitcoin USD Conversation rate was $13 = 1 btc but now rate is double $26 = 1btc)

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

I really should start farming... there are money to be made :)

@rsk said: I think from now onwards, lots of people will get these "highend vps, for lowend prices" and keep on mining bitcoins >.>

Heh. I think it would take them about 2 hours to figure out that they're really not earning anything noticeable with it.

@MikHo said: I really should start farming... there are money to be made :)

Unless you are willing to buy specialized hardware (FPGAs), don't expect to make a profit off Bitcoin mining. The cost will likely exceed the profits.

• @MikHo said: I really should start farming... there are money to be made :)

Money to be made, for your electric company. =P

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

@joepie91 said: Unless you are willing to buy specialized hardware (FPGAs), don't expect to make a profit off Bitcoin mining. The cost will likely exceed the profits.

Naw, ASICs are the new mining stuff now :P

@SpeedBus said: Naw, ASICs are the new mining stuff now :P

If I recall correctly, ASICs are a subset of FPGAs.

• I've never considered the bitcoin a real currency, and i am never going to.

A big minus for namescheap that just show they are not professional enough compared to other domain registration companies, one more indicator to keep away.

edited March 2013

@Janevski said: I've never considered the bitcoin a real currency, and i am never going to.

And again, no reasoning.

@Janevski said: A big minus for namescheap that just show they are not professional enough compared to other domain registration companies, one more indicator to keep away.

And again, no reasoning.

It would be nice if there were at least one person that could name a negative aspect of Bitcoin (they do exist) that was actually well-supported by arguments, facts, or statistics. If you have an irrational hate for Bitcoin, then what are you doing in a Bitcoin-related thread?

• @joepie91 said: If you have an irrational hate for Bitcoin, then what are you doing in a Bitcoin-related thread?

Hatin' ;-)

I like bitcoin, the fact that the network's puzzle gets harder as techniques involve and thus keeping inflation back is amazing

• JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited March 2013

@joepie91 said: If you have an irrational hate for Bitcoin, then what are you doing in a Bitcoin-related thread?

I don't hate bitcoin, i just think it has not established real monetary value well enough approved by the humanity.
    Very simple, when i check the currency lists in the bank, there is no bitcoin currency, which means it has no real monetary value to the world.

This is a public forum, and people might have different opinion than You, i really don't see why You're trying to chase me off this thread.
    I have my opinion, you have your opinion - okay, i'm fine with that.

• ajitajit Member
    edited March 2013

I fear that bitcoin's biggest strength may become its biggest weakness. Governments like to tightly control and monitor the flow of money.

However for governments to step in, bitcoin will have to gain more usage to irk the them (an assumption). But it may be too late by then. Any reasonably big measure to stifle its usage should result in backlash from internet community as it did for SOPA/PIPA (a hope).