Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com
Which offer has better CPU perfomance? (BuyVM and Dediserve)
New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

Which offer has better CPU perfomance? (BuyVM and Dediserve)

sonicsonic Member

Dediserve and BuyVM has really good offers atm.

Dediserve:
2x Intel Xeon E5-2660v2 CPU
2GB RAM
50GB Enterprise RAID 10 SSD Storage

BuyVM:
1x E3-1270v3 thread (50% dedicated)
2GB RAM
40GB SSD

But i dont know which offer has better CPU performance?

Thanked by 1dediserve

Shared: Smallweb| VPS: NexusBytes, FlowVPS, VirMach, InceptionHosting, Linode
Gapps legacy 100/200 users cheap 4 sale. PM

Comments

  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Provider

    Depends if you're single thread heavy.

    Ours are 3.6Ghz or so where as Dedi's is probably ~2.5 ish given it's an E5.

    We include windows if that changes things at all.

    Francisco

    Thanked by 1Geekoine
    BuyVM - Free DirectAdmin, Softaculous, & Blesta! / Anycast Support! / Windows 2008, 2012, & 2016! / Unmetered Bandwidth!
    BuyShared - Shared & Reseller Hosting / cPanel + Softaculous + CloudLinux / Pure SSD! / Free Dedicated IP Address
  • As Cisco said, depends on your use case. If it's single-threaded, then Buyvm, if not then Dediserve.

  • AmitzAmitz Member

    Aren't we all a bit single-threaded? ;-)

    For those who care:
    You can now find me at https://talk.lowendspirit.com or https://www.hostballs.com

  • sonicsonic Member

    I build LEMP to host wordpress blog, which one is better for me?

    Shared: Smallweb| VPS: NexusBytes, FlowVPS, VirMach, InceptionHosting, Linode
    Gapps legacy 100/200 users cheap 4 sale. PM

  • Buy both do HA.

    Thanked by 1ehab
  • sonicsonic Member

    @budi1413 said:
    Buy both do HA.

    Really want to do HA, but i'm newbie at this. Do you know who or where has good/step by step tutorial or paid job which help me do this?

    Shared: Smallweb| VPS: NexusBytes, FlowVPS, VirMach, InceptionHosting, Linode
    Gapps legacy 100/200 users cheap 4 sale. PM

  • vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited June 2016

    Does BuyVM's 50% vCpu use some sort of credit scheduler or a hard-cap on Thread performance?

    Tired of LET scams?
    A Moderated forum : https://talk.lowendspirit.com/

  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Provider

    @vimalware said:
    Does BuyVM's 50% vCpu use some sort of credit scheduler or a hard-cap on Thread performance?

    For now it's just fair share of the thread. The nodes all have plenty of space and we keep the load outs pretty spread out. If we get to a point where we see nothing but 24/7 cpu slamming on the shared CPU's (the $7/m plans only) and it's causing issues we'll do hard 50% caps.

    @sonic - Either would be fine. 3.5Ghz+ is a lot of CPU and things are very zippy.

    Francisco

    BuyVM - Free DirectAdmin, Softaculous, & Blesta! / Anycast Support! / Windows 2008, 2012, & 2016! / Unmetered Bandwidth!
    BuyShared - Shared & Reseller Hosting / cPanel + Softaculous + CloudLinux / Pure SSD! / Free Dedicated IP Address
  • thatixthatix Member

    Definitely go for dediserve's LET special plan. 7$ for 2 Core and 2GB RAM

    https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/85620/new-dediserve-com-2gb-let-special-6-99-per-month#latest

    Performance is pretty decent.

    Thanked by 1dediserve
  • emre22emre22 Member

    I would avoid dediserve, had a lot off downtimes in the past. you can search for the long thread.

  • dediservedediserve Member, Provider

    @sonic said:
    Dediserve and BuyVM has really good offers atm.

    Our cores are also 100% and our 12 drive raid 10 enterprise SSD means very very fast IO :)

  • ehabehab Member
    edited June 2016

    @Francisco has been around here long enough I belive he knows what he is doing and is stable... never had a chance with him before but maybe in future.

    i can say @dediserve support is very fast, 2 notes if they can improve on

    • change of vm location requires a ticket to be created. would be nice if you consider letting the user select it freely when available.

    • early expiry of a vm. my self and other experienced 2-3 days before expiry date the plan is terminated. this can really be improved in your system.

      like what budi1413 said, take both and judge for yourself.

    Thanked by 3dediserve netomx nguyen
    • do not prepay > 1 year and check for reviews/support
    • only use monthly from a provider operating < 1 year 🍆
  • the buyvm one anyday. E3 wins easily against E5 single threaded.

    I AM BACK :)
    Working Windows Server 2012 R2 on 6GB! Beat that!

  • jcalebjcaleb Moderator

    how much traffic are you expecting?

  • No experience with buyvm, but using dediserve VM for WordPress (LEMP) and the site flies. Can totally recommend. No downtime in the last 4 months.

    Thanked by 1dediserve
  • sonicsonic Member

    @jcaleb said:
    how much traffic are you expecting?

    My WP site has on arround 10k UV/day, BW usage 300GB/month. It's running fine on linode 2048 (which is free upgrade to 4096 now). But i want to save money so i find new stable provider.

    Shared: Smallweb| VPS: NexusBytes, FlowVPS, VirMach, InceptionHosting, Linode
    Gapps legacy 100/200 users cheap 4 sale. PM

  • NyrNyr Member

    @sonic said:
    My WP site has on arround 10k UV/day, BW usage 300GB/month. It's running fine on linode 2048 (which is free upgrade to 4096 now). But i want to save money so i find new stable provider.

    Given that amount of traffic, the best way to save money would be to optimize it. Such website should run more than fine with any 256MB VM and a shared thread.

  • sonic said: Dediserve and BuyVM has really good offers atm.

    Dediserve: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2660v2 CPU 2GB RAM 50GB Enterprise RAID 10 SSD Storage

    BuyVM: 1x E3-1270v3 thread (50% dedicated) 2GB RAM 40GB SSD

    But i dont know which offer has better CPU performance?

    did benchmarks for both but at various times, Dediserve was a while back while BuyVM was with new KVM VPS - disclaimer though it was a trial limited test not paid VPS. Currently still have a live Dediserve 4 CPU Xen VPS in Sydney as part of my centminmod.com geo dns latency based cluster.

    benchmarks

    For same amount of CPU threads >1 CPU thread, I'd say BuyVM. But 1 CPU thread regardless of CPU or web host is really limiting for a full LEMP/LAMP stack that gets any kind of decent concurrent user traffic.

    If you can stretch it to 2 CPU thread BuyVM new KVM plan, then that probably would be a better option.

    Thanked by 1sonic
    * Centmin Mod Project (HTTP/2 support + ngx_pagespeed + Nginx Lua + Vhost Stats)
    * Centmin Mod LEMP Stack Quick Install Guide
  • eva2000eva2000 Member
    edited June 2016

    sonic said: My WP site has on arround 10k UV/day, BW usage 300GB/month. It's running fine on linode 2048 (which is free upgrade to 4096 now). But i want to save money so i find new stable provider.

    Stick with Linode if you can if bandwidth/network speed is important - you'd be capped at 250-500Mbit with Dediserve. Though 2GB Linode is 250Mbit cap on network out too.

    * Centmin Mod Project (HTTP/2 support + ngx_pagespeed + Nginx Lua + Vhost Stats)
    * Centmin Mod LEMP Stack Quick Install Guide
  • jcalebjcaleb Moderator

    My WP site has on arround 10k UV/day, BW usage 300GB/month. It's running fine on linode 2048 (which is free upgrade to 4096 now). But i want to save money so i find new stable provider.

    10k UV/day is light. Any of the two should be much more than enough. Yeah maybe even 256mb is fine like @Nyr mentioned. Even non ssd disk is ok.

    Thanked by 1sonic
  • jcalebjcaleb Moderator

    For me, the resources you mentioned is overkill. Just go for the provider you trust and more comfortable with

    Thanked by 1sonic
  • sonicsonic Member

    @eva2000 said:

    sonic said: My WP site has on arround 10k UV/day, BW usage 300GB/month. It's running fine on linode 2048 (which is free upgrade to 4096 now). But i want to save money so i find new stable provider.

    Stick with Linode if you can if bandwidth/network speed is important - you'd be capped at 250-500Mbit with Dediserve. Though 2GB Linode is 250Mbit cap on network out too.

    I'm using easyengine to build Wordpress blog, it looks like ok. But i'm taking a look at Centminmod as it has been recommended so much today.

    Do Centminmod auto optimize, configure webserver depend VPS resources?

    Shared: Smallweb| VPS: NexusBytes, FlowVPS, VirMach, InceptionHosting, Linode
    Gapps legacy 100/200 users cheap 4 sale. PM

  • sonicsonic Member

    @jcaleb said:

    My WP site has on arround 10k UV/day, BW usage 300GB/month. It's running fine on linode 2048 (which is free upgrade to 4096 now). But i want to save money so i find new stable provider.

    10k UV/day is light. Any of the two should be much more than enough. Yeah maybe even 256mb is fine like @Nyr mentioned. Even non ssd disk is ok.

    Where is that link? My site has 20 plugins, i dont think it'll be fine with VPS under 512MB RAM

    Shared: Smallweb| VPS: NexusBytes, FlowVPS, VirMach, InceptionHosting, Linode
    Gapps legacy 100/200 users cheap 4 sale. PM

  • jcalebjcaleb Moderator

    I mean any of the host you mentioned should be fine

  • eva2000eva2000 Member
    edited June 2016

    sonic said: Do Centminmod auto optimize, configure webserver depend VPS resources?

    Yes CentminMod.com LEMP stack auto installer will detect all server cpu (number of cpu threads and even the type of cpu used including some specific kernel level supported parameters), memory and disk resources and then auto adjust the base configurations for nginx, php-fpm, mariadb, csf firewall and memcached server out of the box based on it's findings. This doesn't mean it's optimal for your web application and traffic but just means it's base configuration is optimal for what server resources you have available to use :)

    Centmin Mod has a wordpress auto installer too http://centminmod.com/nginx-wordpress-installer.html. 123.09beta01 version is further improved security and performance wise :) Demo Wordpress7 site at http://wordpress7.centminmod.com/

    Centmin Mod 123.09beta01 is the latest and greatest and has the most extensive feature set to date. See change log at https://centminmod.com/changelog.html so might want to try 123.09beta01 first. It's the next stable release to come just working on a few more things like

    * Centmin Mod Project (HTTP/2 support + ngx_pagespeed + Nginx Lua + Vhost Stats)
    * Centmin Mod LEMP Stack Quick Install Guide
  • I just wanted to add that I have found measurable performance differences in the HTTPS handshaking time between sites powered by 2GHz vs. the faster 3+GHz CPUs.

    With HTTPS becoming more common and guests loading down crappy 2GHz nodes, some VMs are really struggling.

  • eva2000eva2000 Member
    edited June 2016

    sonic said: I'm using easyengine to build Wordpress blog, it looks like ok. But i'm taking a look at Centminmod as it has been recommended so much today.

    Also as your evaluating web stack installers, check their respective sites for OpenSSL CVE-2016-2107 vulnerabilities as alot of them are still outdated despite the fixed versions released 6 1/2 weeks ago ! You can check by inputting site into checker at https://filippo.io/CVE-2016-2107/ or run ssllabs test. Also be careful with web stack installers and check their nginx and ngx_pagespeed module versions (if they include them) some use outdated and insecure versions unlike Centmin Mod :)

    Centmin Mod LEMP stacks are already secured and fixed at time of updated versions 6+ weeks ago as Centmin Mod LEMP supports both OpenSSL 1.0.2h and higher or LibreSSL 2.3.6+ and higher via variable switch LIBRESSL_SWITCH setting y = LibreSSL 2.3.6+ used for Nginx or n = OpenSSL 1.0.2h+ is used :)

    tests

    FYI, Centmin Mod 123.09beta01 Nginx also supports Nginx dynamic TLS record size patch from Cloudflare for better HTTPS performance too https://community.centminmod.com/threads/optimizing-tls-over-tcp-to-reduce-latency-tls-dynamic-record-sizing.7592/ :)

    * Centmin Mod Project (HTTP/2 support + ngx_pagespeed + Nginx Lua + Vhost Stats)
    * Centmin Mod LEMP Stack Quick Install Guide
  • eva2000eva2000 Member
    edited June 2016

    globalRegisters said: I just wanted to add that I have found measurable performance differences in the HTTPS handshaking time between sites powered by 2GHz vs. the faster 3+GHz CPUs.

    With HTTPS becoming more common and guests loading down crappy 2GHz nodes, some VMs are really struggling.

    indeed not just the clock speed though, cpu architecture matters too - there's between 25-85% difference in performance between E3-1240v3 vs E3-1240v5 from benchmarks at https://community.centminmod.com/posts/24321/ !

    Thanked by 1globalRegisters
    * Centmin Mod Project (HTTP/2 support + ngx_pagespeed + Nginx Lua + Vhost Stats)
    * Centmin Mod LEMP Stack Quick Install Guide
  • dediservedediserve Member, Provider

    Also bear in mind the overall architecture - an E5 typically means an 'enterprise' server - and all that means not only in performance, but in availability, reliability and hot swap (and scalability) You can spin up a 40 core, 256GB RAM VM on our cloud, for example :)

  • eva2000eva2000 Member
    edited June 2016

    dediserve said: Also bear in mind the overall architecture - an E5 typically means an 'enterprise' server - and all that means not only in performance, but in availability, reliability and hot swap (and scalability) You can spin up a 40 core, 256GB RAM VM on our cloud, for example :)

    @dediserve Is there still a limitation on max cpu cores per single vps instance in the server creation within a single pool ? when i last tried dediserve with 32 cpu pool, I couldn't get a single vps instance created with 32 cpus and had to get tech support to do it for me. This was ages back for Los Angeles Dediserve pool though with E5-2660v1 :)

    * Centmin Mod Project (HTTP/2 support + ngx_pagespeed + Nginx Lua + Vhost Stats)
    * Centmin Mod LEMP Stack Quick Install Guide
  • TheOnlyDKTheOnlyDK Member
    edited June 2016

    @dediserve If I create a server with 40 vcores, and only 2GB of ram, how does that work? Will I be the only client on that server? If so, you would be losing lots of money, but if not then the CPU cores aren't dedicated to me.

  • dediservedediserve Member, Provider

    @eva2000 said:
    @dediserve Is there still a limitation on max cpu cores per single vps instance in the server creation within a single pool ? when i last tried dediserve with 32 cpu pool, I couldn't get a single vps instance created with 32 cpus and had to get tech support to do it for me. This was ages back for Los Angeles Dediserve pool though with E5-2660v1 :)

    The Older CPUs probably didnt have as many cores? The default now is 40 per blade.

    @TheOnlyDK - 40 cores with 2GB RAM is pretty impractical for most use cases, so we don't have any such configurations actually in use (plus you'd pay $210 a month just for the 38 cores that you'd have trouble getting use from :) )

  • @dediserve said:

    @eva2000 said:
    @dediserve Is there still a limitation on max cpu cores per single vps instance in the server creation within a single pool ? when i last tried dediserve with 32 cpu pool, I couldn't get a single vps instance created with 32 cpus and had to get tech support to do it for me. This was ages back for Los Angeles Dediserve pool though with E5-2660v1 :)

    The Older CPUs probably didnt have as many cores? The default now is 40 per blade.

    @TheOnlyDK - 40 cores with 2GB RAM is pretty impractical for most use cases, so we don't have any such configurations actually in use (plus you'd pay $210 a month just for the 38 cores that you'd have trouble getting use from :) )

    Yes, but we are talking about theoretically if someone does that, what would you do?

  • dediservedediserve Member, Provider

    @TheOnlyDK said:

    @dediserve said:

    Yes, but we are talking about theoretically if someone does that, what would you do?

    Hypothetically, they'd be on their own on that hypervisor. In reality, it never happens :)

    Worse case, we'd get about $250 per month for that blade, and would likely put the customer on a low RAM hybrid versions, rather than our 'full fat' public blades.

    Thanked by 1TheOnlyDK
  • eva2000eva2000 Member
    edited June 2016

    dediserve said: The Older CPUs probably didnt have as many cores? The default now is 40 per blade.

    yeah IIRC support say max via the gui console for server creation at the time for my pool was like 16 threads on my 32 max E5-2660v1. If i needed more that 16 per vps instance, they'd have to create it on their end. Is that still the case for new 40 cpu thread single vps via the console when creating a server in a pool ? i suppose limit following the same logic would be max 20 cpu threads per vps and >20 need tech support to do it for me ?

    dediserve said: In reality, it never happens

    except when I did :)

    * Centmin Mod Project (HTTP/2 support + ngx_pagespeed + Nginx Lua + Vhost Stats)
    * Centmin Mod LEMP Stack Quick Install Guide
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Provider

    @dediserve said:

    @TheOnlyDK said:

    @dediserve said:

    Yes, but we are talking about theoretically if someone does that, what would you do?

    Hypothetically, they'd be on their own on that hypervisor. In reality, it never happens :)

    Worse case, we'd get about $250 per month for that blade, and would likely put the customer on a low RAM hybrid versions, rather than our 'full fat' public blades.

    You forgot 'cry over our onapp bill' somewhere in there. :P

    Francisco

    BuyVM - Free DirectAdmin, Softaculous, & Blesta! / Anycast Support! / Windows 2008, 2012, & 2016! / Unmetered Bandwidth!
    BuyShared - Shared & Reseller Hosting / cPanel + Softaculous + CloudLinux / Pure SSD! / Free Dedicated IP Address
  • Actually it's cheaper to order 20X 2GB LET specials than making it 40 Cores. 40 Cores cost $225.45 a month, while 20 2GB only cost $140 a month. Plus the additional RAM, Disk, IPs etc.

    @dediserve So are the servers only utilizing 40GB of ram if everyone buys only the 2GB plans?

  • dediservedediserve Member, Provider

    @eva2000 said:

    dediserve said: The Older CPUs probably didnt have as many cores? The default now is 40 per blade.

    yeah IIRC support say max via the gui console for server creation at the time for my pool was like 16 threads on my 32 max E5-2660v1. If i needed more that 16 per vps instance, they'd have to create it on their end. Is that still the case for new 40 cpu thread single vps via the console when creating a server in a pool ? i suppose limit following the same logic would be max 20 cpu threads per vps and >20 need tech support to do it for me ?

    dediserve said: In reality, it never happens

    except when I did :)

    There are no GUI limits now

  • dediservedediserve Member, Provider

    @Francisco said:

    @dediserve said:

    @TheOnlyDK said:

    @dediserve said:

    Yes, but we are talking about theoretically if someone does that, what would you do?

    Hypothetically, they'd be on their own on that hypervisor. In reality, it never happens :)

    Worse case, we'd get about $250 per month for that blade, and would likely put the customer on a low RAM hybrid versions, rather than our 'full fat' public blades.

    You forgot 'cry over our onapp bill' somewhere in there. :P

    Francisco

    Lol. We have a good deal ;)

    Thanked by 1Francisco
  • dediservedediserve Member, Provider

    @TheOnlyDK said:
    Actually it's cheaper to order 20X 2GB LET specials than making it 40 Cores. 40 Cores cost $225.45 a month, while 20 2GB only cost $140 a month. Plus the additional RAM, Disk, IPs etc.

    @dediserve So are the servers only utilizing 40GB of ram if everyone buys only the 2GB plans?

    the 2gb plan offer has closed. Of course those plans are spread across all available public hypervisors. It's iur job to manage workloads so everyone gets full resources :)

  • eva2000eva2000 Member
    edited June 2016

    dediserve said: There are no GUI limits now

    cheers @dediserve good to know :)

    * Centmin Mod Project (HTTP/2 support + ngx_pagespeed + Nginx Lua + Vhost Stats)
    * Centmin Mod LEMP Stack Quick Install Guide
Sign In or Register to comment.