Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which of these is a better deal?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which of these is a better deal?

shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep
edited March 2013 in General

The dark themed one is using 4x SAS disks in Hardware RAID10. The light themed one is using 4x SSD in RAID10.

Comments

• Are you looking to buy one of these VPS or are you selling them?

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

It really depends what you are using them for but the dark ones seem overpriced.

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep

I love SSDs, so I'm obligated to say the 2nd one.

• HassanHassan Member, Patron Provider

I think the SSD Deals are better

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Why not a dedicated?

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Thanks for the info guys. What if I told you the dark ones are on older Xeon series and the light ones are on Xeon E5-2620 :)

• DylanDylan Member
    edited March 2013

For those who don't know, he's comparing his "BetterVPS" plans to SparkNode (Hivelocity).
    https://www.bettervps.com/pricing/
    https://www.sparknode.com/order/cart/vps/

Presenting the two next to each other like this, without saying that, as if they're alternative plans you're considering selling, seems a bit sleazy. Price isn't everything when you're considering what the best "deal" is -- support, infrastructure, and the provider itself matter too.

@Dylan I purposely left that out of it, so that results would not be biased.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@shovenose Another brand? That's pretty quick.

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited March 2013

Price isn't everything when you're considering what the best "deal" is -- support, infrastructure, and the provider itself matter too.

case in point, I have two 4GB Xen VPS's in Amsterdam with the following specs:

BudgetVM $29.99 monthly, 4GB RAM/8GB Swap, 180GB HD, 6TB bandwidth, 4 cores, 3 ip addresses
    CloudVPS about $52 monthly (€39.95), 4GB RAM/4GB Swap, 80GB HD, 1TB bandwidth, 3 cores, 1 ip address.

At first glance the BudgetVM plan would appear to be "a better deal" but when you factor in "support, infrastructure, and the provider itself" the CloudVPS VPS is actually a far better deal.

The light themed one is using 4x SSD in RAID10.

See my statement above. :P Even if the provider is using "4x SSD in RAID10." I probably wouldn't be willing to pay above low end box prices for a Xen VPS from them if they don't have the infrastructure in place to provide a reliable or high availability service (and if the provider is using rented dedis at budget data centers like Datashack, Dacentec, Wholesale Internet, PerfectIP, etc then they definitely don't have the infrastructure in place to provide a high availability service).

To put it another way, using your original comparison of SAS plan A vs SSD plan B, the reliability and infrastructure that the provider in plan A has in place is far more important than the superior benchmark tests that provider B's "4x SSD in RAID10." provide. Plan A is the best deal.

• Apple is better than orange.

• @NHNahian said: Apple is better than orange.

That's comparing apples to oranges ;o /irony

Apple = hardware and software company
    Orange = ISP

All those fruity company names :D

• I like the dark themed one

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@shovenose said: @Dylan I purposely left that out of it, so that results would not be biased.

You're throwing out the baby with the bathwater. You didn't just 'remove bias', you also removed one of the vital points to judge a host on - their reputation.

@joepie91 Not really. Some people just hate on providers, grudges. Not for any legitimate reason!

• DamianDamian Member
    edited March 2013

@shovenose said: Not really. Some people just hate on providers, grudges. Not for any legitimate reason!

And when it's revealed that they liked a provider that they would otherwise hate, irregardless of reason, their reaction isn't going to be "orly!? I think I will buy from them, then!"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

@Damian What do you mean?

When it's revealed that they liked a provider that they would otherwise hate,

• This is obviously BetterVPS.com

@BronzeByte a bit obtuse perhaps? Read the thread!

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited March 2013

Well since it's revealed who the 2 providers are, the first one. People don't look at the price only when selecting high end VPSs but the company and history.

• Run by Hivelocity, own DC
    • In business for past 10 years?
    • Superior Network / Support
  • @Patrick said: Well since it's revealed who the 2 providers are, the first one. People don't look at only the price when selecting high end VPSs but the company and history.

Run by Hivelocity, own DC
    In business for past 10 years?
    Cloud (Self Healing / Automatic Failover)
    Really good network

+
    Staffs who knows what they are doing,
    Admins who are proactive,
    Have a solid business plan,
    We can probably go on the whole day.

• dont try to compare with sparknode.com...

@Patrick said: People don't look at only the price when selecting high end VPSs but the company and history.

+1