Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NFS via internal network at BuyVM
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

NFS via internal network at BuyVM

JetSter735180JetSter735180 Member
edited March 2013 in Help

I have multiple servers at the LV location (OpenVZ), including a storage vps (KVM).

I have configured a NFS server on the storage server. But when I try to mount the server on the other OpenVZ servers, I either get a "device not found" error message or "nfs invalid argument".

I get the "device not found" error message when I dont specify NFS4 and "nfs invalid argument" when specifying NFS4.

The internal ip of the OpenVZ servers are in the allowed host and "showmount -e 172.16.." does display the available mount paths.

Anybody have working NFS on the internal network ?

Comments

• OpenVz doesn't support NFS from inside the box IIRC :-(

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

TL;DR - NFS + OpenVZ is a bag of dicks.

Yes we could enable support for it but it gets really sketchy allowing the user to make kernel threads. A bad mount by a client or a hung one and we'd have to restart the node.

SSHFS works well.

Francisco

• I'll look into SSHFS.

Thank you

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep
  • @JetSter735180 Why don't You configure and mount WebDAV?

• JetSter735180JetSter735180 Member
    edited March 2013

@JetSter735180 Why don't You configure and mount WebDAV?

Tried it, used way too much RAM.

SSHFS works well.

I've been running SSHFS for 24 hours, with constant file transfers. Every things is working better than I expected. Transfer speed seems to be in the 10MB range. :)

@JetSter735180 said: I've been running SSHFS for 24 hours, with constant file transfers. Every things is working better than I expected. Transfer speed seems to be in the 10MB range. :)

Good stuff :)

SSHFS is pretty decent. NFS would be faster but I don't know how well userland NFS clients work in .18. I'm sure in .32 it's a lot better.

Francisco

• @Francisco said: .18. I'm sure in .32 it's a lot better.

When is the ETA on .32

@texteditor said: When is the ETA on .32

Well, I got 4 nodes (one for each OVZ plan) going online next week. Customers in good standing can request a single VM for free for a month on it to help trial. Users that don't actually use the VM and help test it will get the vm thrown out most likely.

Once we get a good view into some new changes we added to our .32 we'll decide.

Francisco