Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help me understand StartSSL plans
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Help me understand StartSSL plans

drdrakedrdrake Member

Hello,

I have seen startssl plans (https://startssl.com) and i saw this one particular plan:

Limit your annual budget to US$199.90 for:

Unlimited 2-years period green bar EV SSL Certificate for FREE, up to 100 domains;
Unlimited Class 3 OV SSL certificates, 3 year, up to 100 domains, wildcard certificates;
One Class 3 Code Signing Certificates including kernel signing;
Unlimited Class 3 organization Client Certificate.

Does this mean i can get a EV certs for 100 (sub)domains for only 200 USD?

What about the OV SSL?

Please someone help me understand this right.

How many certificates can i get for that price? I tried to talkto the support but i didn't get a clear answer.

Thank you!

Comments

• tommytommy Member

ask them!

• Hello @Arjon , well yes , According to their homepage and the plan you mentioned above you can have upto 100 different domains EV SSL Certs,

OV SSL stands for StartSSL™ Organization Validation Certs. may be used for organisations (i'm not sure tho..)

• @tommy said:
    ask them!

I did! They couldn't explain it good and had a bad support team.

@jrishabh55 said:
    Hello @Arjon , well yes , According to their homepage and the plan you mentioned above you can have upto 100 different domains EV SSL Certs,

OV SSL stands for StartSSL™ Organization Validation Certs. may be used for organisations (i'm not sure tho..)

So they say "Unlimited Class 3 OV SSL certificates" so i can get 100 wildcard certificates for 100 domains?! They are not clear.

• jrishabh55jrishabh55 Member
    edited June 2016

Arjon said: So they say "Unlimited Class 3 OV SSL certificates" so i can get 100 wildcard certificates for 100 domains?! They are not clear.

yes that's correct. a wildcard domain consists for *.domain.tld and its obvious that you will not need 2 wildcard for same domain (100 not a chance), but make sure to verify this with them as well, to assure your purchase...

• ATHKATHK Member

@Arjon said:

@tommy said:
    ask them!

I did! They couldn't explain it good and had a bad support team.

Their support isn't that hot, might be a different story if you're paying though.

• gianggiang Veteran

@ATHK said:
    Their support isn't that hot, might be a different story if you're paying though.

Usually, they answer me within 6 hours and I'm a free user.

Comodo EV team anwsers ticket once a day :/

• century1stopcentury1stop Member
    edited June 2016

well, their support are a confusing lot. just remember each free certificate is valid for a year and needs renewal every year (from what their support said). certificate feature table isn't very informative.

• From what I understand, your fee gives you 1 year access to issuing certs. During this year you can issue 2/3 years certs. You only get 1 EV cert, but it may be possible to add more to the SAN area (not sure on this) for multi domain cert.

• @TheOnlyDK said:
    From what I understand, your fee gives you 1 year access to issuing certs. During this year you can issue 2/3 years certs. You only get 1 EV cert, but it may be possible to add more to the SAN area (not sure on this) for multi domain cert.

I have the personal verification for $59.99 and your correct. The 60 bucks gives my account access to issue certificates for one year. The personal verification gives me class 2 certs that are valid for 2 years from the issue date. And support 100 hostnames and support wildcard certificates. Currently I have 10 wild card certificates. I choose to have each domain on its own certificate but it could just put the wildcards on one.

I'm not sure about the EV ones, I would assume you can SAN them since you can with the other paided ones.

Thanked by 2TheOnlyDK drdrake
  • they ask for a photo that you holding your passport for validation , this must stop many people from buying .