Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DO vps or Scaleway baremetal?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DO vps or Scaleway baremetal?

seenuseenu Member

Scaleway baremetals are so tempting to me,

I have $20 vps @ DO, so thinking whether to keep it or move data to scaleway baremetal...

can anyone point me in right direction?

NOTE: its a production vps @ DO... so is scaleway ready for production sites?

Thanks.

Comments

• dailydaily Member

Why move from Digital Ocean when no issues?

My vote is for DO.

Thanked by 1seenu
  • Don't "fix" what's not broken!

Thanked by 3seenu default doghouch
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

seenu said: Scaleway baremetals are so tempting to me

I ran them for months, I moved my stuff to DO. Obviously, I have a bias. That said, low-end hardware and a terrible network weren't doing it for me. Their primary online.net brand has much better network, OVH better still. Whatever they do to the network on scaleway is just sad.

Thanked by 2seenu Mathias
  • I actually quite like the network, one of my clients (from lebanon) has under 100 ping to scaleway. OVH, i3d and DO have 130ms at least.

Since they fixed their ams-ix peering it's been way better.

That's not to say I do not consider scaleway to be "production-ready" if you make more than 100 euros off your website per month as there are some outages from time to time. One of the outages even had a "low" priority on their internal system.

Thanked by 1jar
  • seenuseenu Member

hmm,

we sell products online and they generate more than $100 per month (its not adsense)

and we won't be having 24/7 visitors but even if its down for 30mins and one client not able to access our website then it will be definitely a problem.

• @jarland said:

seenu said: Scaleway baremetals are so tempting to me

I ran them for months, I moved my stuff to DO. Obviously, I have a bias. That said, low-end hardware and a terrible network weren't doing it for me. Their primary online.net brand has much better network, OVH better still. Whatever they do to the network on scaleway is just sad.

@jarland: Which server package did you use ?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@chrisfe said:
    @jarland: Which server package did you use ?

My opinion may be outdated at that question. There was only one.

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

What support would you rather deal with? @jarland or Onlines historically bad support

• seenuseenu Member

If you ask me and regarding DO support...

i have sent 1-2 support mails to DO 2years back when i started using vps... and i didn't send any support mails after that.

its pretty much DIY.

• You're better off using scaleway's vps than the C1 server if that's your idea.
    I've been with them for months and I'm not planning on moving away any time soon.

Thanked by 1seenu
  • I was using OVH VPS in BHS and the connection was very bad, max 200kbits/s to my home (Chile)

With Scaleway C1 and C2 with a simple http download I got 80mbits/s. The C2 server is really good, but I dont know how are their vps products.

• VbroVbro Member

Scaleway fine for me. I have 2x C2L servers. So far no downtime. Good speed with unmetered bw. Who wants to leave?

• YmpkerYmpker Member

I think DO is a great choice. That being said check my sig :P

Thanked by 1seenu
  • seenuseenu Member

@Ympker, your sig is what stopping me from jumping.... because this DO vps is my production vps and my food earner.

but more time i spend on LET, its leading me to more confusion.

i used to spend $150+ on dedi but looks like we can have for just $20-40 from
    online.net
    hetneizer
    scaleway

these are tempting me and confusing me :(

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@seenu said:
    @Ympker, your sig is what stopping me from jumping.... because this DO vps is my production vps and my food earner.

but more time i spend on LET, its leading me to more confusion.

i used to spend $150+ on dedi but looks like we can have for just $20-40 from
    online.net
    hetneizer
    scaleway

these are tempting me and confusing me :(

Well Hetzner has some stable server and I havent heard only bad things about online.net . But if you are doing just fine now, and you can afford it there is no need to switch, eh?

• seenuseenu Member

yes its going 100% fine and i can afford but
    only because for the price of vps, i am getting a dedi

• @seenu said:
    yes its going 100% fine and i can afford but
    only because for the price of vps, i am getting a dedi

In a different discussion

seenu said: and in this whole transition period, my wife is so angry because as per her....i am wasting time and taking risk by shaking up things which running smoothly and at the most i am saving only $40 bucks.... but i always convinced her, its not about $40 but about $40x12 months and flexibility blah blah blah... but now she is right...because i am in dangerous situation now

Remind me wasn't this your situation? Leave well enough alone.

• seenuseenu Member

hmm,

i am out of that now....i jumped out of wable and moved those VPSes to other company and they are doing pretty fine.

but you are correct...thats my problem..... if i have no tension, i will try to create a new tension for me (always on some experimental mode)