Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Request] VPS for Tor Relay
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[Request] VPS for Tor Relay

KobeKobe Member
edited June 2016 in Requests

Just curious what the offers are on the market that are well-suited for Tor relays.

I know OVH, Online.net, Scaleway, CloudAtCost and DigitalOcean all have unmetered bandwidth and work well for Tor middle relays. I'm looking to diversify my selection of providers.

Just curious if any of you know of any other high (8TB+)/unmetered bandwidth allocation VPS providers that allows for Tor middle (non-exit) Relays.

Edit: Specifically under $7/month.

Comments

• dacentec have unlimited 100mbit servers and are not used much for tor.

• KobeKobe Member

@linuxthefish said:
    dacentec have unlimited 100mbit servers and are not used much for tor.

Their unmetered servers are comparatively more expensive.

• LiteServerLiteServer Member, Patron Provider

Since tor relays rarely (if at all) cause abuse, looking for a hosting company that accepts such service shouldn't be hard. We have a few customers from what we know they're hosting a relay, and never run into issues.

Do you have any requirements for the location?
    If NL is an option for you, we might able to help you:
    https://www.liteserver.nl/en/traffic-vps-series-kvm-vps/
    https://www.liteserver.nl/en/traffic-vps-series-openvz-vps/

• KobeKobe Member

@LiteServer said:
    Since tor relays rarely (if at all) cause abuse, looking for a hosting company that accepts such service shouldn't be hard. We have a few customers from what we know they're hosting a relay, and never run into issues.

Do you have any requirements for the location?
    If NL is an option for you, we might able to help you:
    https://www.liteserver.nl/en/traffic-vps-series-kvm-vps/
    https://www.liteserver.nl/en/traffic-vps-series-openvz-vps/

Unfortunately, I was hoping for stuff along the lines of stupid cheap traffic, like ITLDC or the other hosts noted above. I've mostly been going off of the torpid nodes.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

You should really avoid ISPs in FR, NL and DE. Not just OVH, Online and the common ones, but avoid the countries entirely.

Make your own research, there are plenty of small providers offering unmetered in uncommon countries. Still, if you let me know your budget, I can make some good suggestions from my personal list.

• MivoCloudMivoCloud Member, Host Rep

We have 100 Mbps Unmetered.

• KobeKobe Member
    edited June 2016

@Nyr said:
    You should really avoid ISPs in FR, NL and DE. Not just OVH, Online and the common ones, but avoid the countries entirely.

Make your own research, there are plenty of small providers offering unmetered in uncommon countries. Still, if you let me know your budget, I can make some good suggestions from my personal list.

My budget is just around under 7 USD monthly. Any help would be gladly appreciated.

• KobeKobe Member
    edited June 2016

@MivoCloud said:

So it would be a problem if I did 20-30mbit constant?

• VStoike is pretty good I've been running a relay for a long time with them on and off. Currently have 20+ relays with OVH atm going to expand into more when got the time.

@Domin43 said:
    VStoike is pretty good I've been running a relay for a long time with them on and off. Currently have 20+ relays with OVH atm going to expand into more when got the time.

Do you realize how useless and counterproductive for the Tor network is to keep adding more and more nodes in the same network and in a county with a worrying amount of surveillance?

One node in any non-EU country would be way more useful than 20 in OVH.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • emre22emre22 Member

do you guys profit from these relays or why do you invest in being a proxy for other guys?

• @emre22 said:
    do you guys profit from these relays or why do you invest in being a proxy for other guys?

The Internet wouldn't have been invented if profit was the only thing motivating human beings.

Thanked by 1dfmcvn
  • NanoG6NanoG6 Member

yes I was curious too, what is the profit providing TOR relays for others. Me myself only tried TOR just one time

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited June 2016

NanoG6 said: yes I was curious too, what is the profit providing TOR relays for others

None.

• KobeKobe Member

@emre22 said:

I do it mostly for ideological and personal reasons. Also I get a warm fuzzy feeling inside.

I know they used to give away Tor T-Shirts to people who run a relay for 60+ days but its pretty sporadic and poorly maintained. Its on and off that they do it, and with all the buzz coming about Jacob Appelbaum, I imagine they have better things to do than give out T-Shirts right now.

Thanked by 2emre22 Ole_Juul
  • blackblack Member

I got a free shirt and some stickers, worth it.

We have 100 Mbps Unmetered.> @Kobe said:

@MivoCloud said:

So it would be a problem if I did 20-30mbit constant?

It would be not a problem.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited June 2016

MivoCloud said: It would be not a problem.

Is your blend mainly Trabia EU bound? You don't happen to do BGP i guess?

• Your SSH key pair add told me the key exists already when adding it (for the first time...)

• No Ubuntu 16.04?

• I was able to select 512MB/8GB as lowest, does this now cost less than 6$ for 1GB/10GB per website?

2 ordered and now online, let's see in a month or so.

Seems ok for 6EUR or around (from my installer, not pretty):

tor1-md 188.211.x.x - Ubuntu_14.04.4_LTS 3.13.0-74-generic x86_64 Intel_Xeon_E312xx__Sandy_Bridge_ 1C 2099Mhz 4199Bogomips 0.83load 490MB /dev/disk/by-label/cloudimg-rootfs 7.5G 1.3G 18%

@William said:

MivoCloud said: It would be not a problem.

Is your blend mainly Trabia EU bound? You don't happen to do BGP i guess?

• Your SSH key pair add told me the key exists already when adding it (for the first time...)

• No Ubuntu 16.04?

• I was able to select 512MB/8GB as lowest, does this now cost less than 6$ for 1GB/10GB per website?

2 ordered and now online, let's see in a month or so.

Seems ok for 6EUR or around (from my installer, not pretty):

tor1-md 188.211.x.x - Ubuntu_14.04.4_LTS 3.13.0-74-generic x86_64 Intel_Xeon_E312xx__Sandy_Bridge_ 1C 2099Mhz 4199Bogomips 0.83load 490MB /dev/disk/by-label/cloudimg-rootfs 7.5G 1.3G 18%

1) We have a BGP session with them at the KivIX .. nothing else. 2) We'll check. 3) Soon Ubuntu 16 available. 4) Right, it's cheaper. Our prices are in Euro.

@emre22 said:

Because we like the idea of helping others and a free internet, even if it doesn't imply an economic benefit for ourselves? Someone needs to keep those nodes running.

• KobeKobe Member

Nyr said: Make your own research, there are plenty of small providers offering unmetered in uncommon countries. Still, if you let me know your budget, I can make some good suggestions from my personal list.

The biggest find I've seen is the torpid nodes. They're all operated on low-cost unmetered VPSes and they're pretty cool if you want to add those to your personal list.

Thanked by 1Nyr
  • @Nyr said:

@Domin43 said:
    VStoike is pretty good I've been running a relay for a long time with them on and off. Currently have 20+ relays with OVH atm going to expand into more when got the time.

Do you realize how useless and counterproductive for the Tor network is to keep adding more and more nodes in the same network and in a county with a worrying amount of surveillance?

One node in any non-EU country would be way more useful than 20 in OVH.

Hi Nyr,

I disagree I want more mainstream tor users to use the french and shitty locations and then the ones who value privacy and whom disable in torrc can benefit more.

Thoughts?

edited June 2016

@Domin43 said:
    Hi Nyr,

I disagree I want more mainstream tor users to use the french and shitty locations and then the ones who value privacy and whom disable in torrc can benefit more.

Thoughts?

Tor was created to bring "out of the box" privacy to the masses, it is assumed that every Tor user "values privacy" not just some of them and it has no relation to the users technical abilities to edit the configuration.

The Tor documentation suggests not placing more than 10 nodes per network. You can check for yourself how many are currently at the big and cheap ISPs.

At this moment, Tor is fast enough to prefer network diversity (very important issue) over bandwidth (hasn't been a problem for years).

Edit: anyone can try disabling the US + EU nodes and see. Circuits will go almost exclusively via Ukraine and Russia.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

emre22 said: do you guys profit from these relays or why do you invest in being a proxy for other guys?

Not everybody does everything just for money.

@Kobe I've run TOR relays on lots of hosts, but never went hunting specifically for unlimited/unmetered. Just divide your bandwidth by the hours and set the cap to use it.

And while this link seems down atm, it's a good read on what to expect with a new relay, even if you have to wayback it:

https://blog.torproject.org/blog/lifecycle-of-a-new-relay

• @Nyr said:

@Domin43 said:
    Hi Nyr,

Thoughts?

Tor was created to bring "out of the box" privacy to the masses, it is assumed that every Tor user "values privacy" not just some of them and it has no relation to the users technical abilities to edit the configuration.

The Tor documentation suggests not placing more than 10 nodes per network. You can check for yourself how many are currently at the big and cheap ISPs.

At this moment, Tor is fast enough to prefer network diversity (very important issue) over bandwidth (hasn't been a problem for years).

Edit: anyone can try disabling the US + EU nodes and see. Circuits will go almost exclusively via Ukraine and Russia.

Any place where i can find hosts that need tor nodes then i'll just buy one for that sake.

• emre22emre22 Member

@raindog308 said:

emre22 said: do you guys profit from these relays or why do you invest in being a proxy for other guys?

@Kobe I've run TOR relays on lots of hosts, but never went hunting specifically for unlimited/unmetered. Just divide your bandwidth by the hours and set the cap to use it.

And while this link seems down atm, it's a good read on what to expect with a new relay, even if you have to wayback it:

why are you guys offended? it was a normal question, because I am not familiar with tor and saw this relay topics a few times now..

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • deadbeefdeadbeef Member
    edited June 2016

@emre22 said:

@raindog308 said:

why are you guys offended? it was a normal question, because I am not familiar with tor and saw this relay topics a few times now..

People love every chance they get to say they're "different".

@Domin43 said:
    Any place where i can find hosts that need tor nodes then i'll just buy one for that sake.

Any place with bandwidth cheap enough for your liking and preferably outside of France, The Netherlands or Germany. Those are the countries with the biggest amount of high bandwidth notes, for obvious reasons ;)

Asian countries would be great, but high bandwidth offers are limited. From this forum, I remember some unmetered deals in Kosovo and Moldova recently, worth a try.

Ukraine and Russia also have plenty of small ISPs offering unmetered for cheap, which makes them good candidates for Tor nodes. Same applies for many Eastern European countries (Poland, baltics, Romania) which are still better than adding more OVH nodes.

I could even suggest some Spanish providers selling supposedly unmetered services if anyone's interested (starting from 10€/m).

• KobeKobe Member

@deadbeef said:

@emre22 said:

@raindog308 said:

People love every chance they get to say they're "different".

https://xkcd.com/743/

Thanked by 2deadbeef chinmoy
  • KobeKobe Member
    edited June 2016

@Nyr said:

@Domin43 said:

Any place with bandwidth cheap enough for your liking and preferably outside of France, The Netherlands or Germany. Those are the countries with the biggest amount of high bandwidth notes, for obvious reasons ;)

Asian countries would be great, but high bandwidth offers are limited. From this forum, I remember some unmetered deals in Kosovo and Moldova recently, worth a try.

Ukraine and Russia also have plenty of small ISPs offering unmetered for cheap, which makes them good candidates for Tor nodes. Same applies for many Eastern European countries (Poland, baltics, Romania) which are still better than adding more OVH nodes.

I could even suggest some Spanish providers selling supposedly unmetered services if anyone's interested (starting from 10€/m).

We're all super duper interested Nyr! :)