Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hosting Politically Sensitive Material - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hosting Politically Sensitive Material

Comments

• tr1ckytr1cky Member

hawc said: What about if a certain 4 letter UK based organisation was in contact?

NASA?

Thanked by 1netomx
  • hawchawc Moderator, LIR
    edited June 2016

tr1cky said: NASA?

hawc said: UK based organisation

• awvnxawvnx Member

Who cares if tor is slow if you use it to update a blog?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@hawc said:

jarland said: Host with a US based company

What about if a certain 4 letter UK based organisation was in contact?

Gonna be difficult for them to get a US court order.

• @jarland said:

@hawc said:

jarland said: Host with a US based company

What about if a certain 4 letter UK based organisation was in contact?

Gonna be difficult for them to get a US court order.

the court order is window dressing for the whole process, something to do or not so one of the latest batch of ivy leage lawyers can "change things".

• try running this https://github.com/HelloZeroNet/ZeroNet
    Can utilize tor but not required and runs fine and dandy on digital ocean and lots more.

edited June 2016

@raptorpeanutbuttr said:
    the court order is window dressing for the whole process, something to do or not so one of the latest batch of ivy leage lawyers can "change things".

What the heck does that even mean in the context of this conversation? Cute sentences strung together I guess? When has a four letter UK agency ever hired an Ivy League lawyer to bypass the need for a US court order against a US corporation?

Thanked by 1raptorpeanutbuttr
  • @jarland said:

@raptorpeanutbuttr said:

What the heck does that even mean in the context of this conversation? Cute sentences strung together I guess?

..calm down..
    meaning that if GCHQ/NSA/rest of five eyes signatories want your data and your company is in one of the five eyes countries, then the legal protections that are supposed to be available are a sham.

edited June 2016

raptorpeanutbuttr said: ..calm down.. meaning that if GCHQ/NSA/rest of five eyes signatories want your data and your company is in one of the five eyes countries, then the legal protections that are supposed to be available are a sham.

Sorry I don't deal in these items:

1. Conspiracy theories.
    2. "It sounds in character based on what I've read on the internet."
    3. Anecdotal stories

What you say sounds cute and all, and it fits common opinion from my observation, but it's by no means a well-sourced statement. I submit that the US is very accepting of negative political speech against other countries. In fact, it's commonplace. I have no evidence to suggest that the US government has an interest in outing political dissidents to other nations. If you do, you should start there for a counter argument against the US being an appropriate place to host dissenting political sentiments about other nations.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

Sealand, its the only way.

• @jarland said:

raptorpeanutbuttr said: ..calm down.. meaning that if GCHQ/NSA/rest of five eyes signatories want your data and your company is in one of the five eyes countries, then the legal protections that are supposed to be available are a sham.

1. Conspiracy theories.
    3. Anecdotal stories

What you say sounds cute and all, and it fits common opinion from my observation, but it's by no means a well-sourced statement. I submit that the US is very accepting of negative political speech against other countries. In fact, it's commonplace. I have no evidence to suggest that the US government has an interest in outing political dissidents to other nations. If you do, you should start there for a counter argument against the US being an appropriate place to host dissenting political sentiments about other nations.

You need to go back to being the pizza rolls challenge dude.

@raptorpeanutbuttr said:
    You need to go back to being the pizza rolls challenge dude.

Nice to have an intellectual conversation with you as well.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

@jarland said:

1. Conspiracy theories.
    3. Anecdotal stories

I guess, this shit is allowed to almost anything can be hosted in the US of A

http://www.landoverbaptist.org/

Thanked by 1jar
  • WilliamWilliam Member
    edited June 2016

Yea. If you are not an US citizen and/or have money and/or political and/or commercial influence.

Currently, being US citizen seemingly provides most protection from such things, but then you get to deal with other agencies and you don't end up in jail for your crimes but rather... yea.

Though, i give you that they get the data, however if "they" really want your data your server in Azerbaijan will not stop the NSA, considering they can just hand that off (hello CIA) or, the american way, pay someone to do it.
    Because thinking the gov of $3rdworldcountry or $ISP_in_easternbloc will decline $million in cash for 5min access to a server... is not realistic.

That is also... different crime levels, unless you are Snowden 2.0 and then you'd knew your choices anyway (Hint: Russia, China, Germany, Iran - each coming with a unique set of things they'll want from you for asylum/protection) nobody in the US will touch your political speech, and if anonymous like any generic warez site you are out of interest of the agencies OR they know your doings anyway already and just don't give a shit.

• nepsneps Member

Thanks for all the replies. My country currently has a mutual defense treaty with the US, but a regime change is underway and the winds of change are blowing. The incoming regime has trumpeted a "de-emphasis" on human rights under the age-old excuse of promoting law and order and shrugged off/trivialized media killings. The new leader is also very sensitive to criticism, and is taking steps that few of the populace realize are thinly veiled efforts to silence the mainstream media, who will no doubt be highly critical of what he plans to do.

• PwnerPwner Member

@jarland said:

1. Conspiracy theories.
    3. Anecdotal stories

Jet fuel can't melt steel beams, wake up sheeple.

• Bitcoins bought locally can be pretty secure if you use a bitcoin mixer

• tommytommy Member

Where's the op? You keep talking guys :)

• nepsneps Member

tommy said: Where's the op? You keep talking guys :)

I'm here, thanks for all the suggestions, would love to hear more.

• @jarland said:

@Arjon said:
    lol, it is unless you are telling the crimes/corruption of officials, then you will disappear.

This isn't /r/conspiracy, and you're not even from here.

Thank god I am not. If exposing government war crimes and corruption is conspiracy than you are proving what i meant. Americans need some justin bieber and kim kardashian news and the day is made. Fuck all important shit, right?

Thanked by 1switsys
  • TheRedFoxTheRedFox Member
    edited June 2016

@neps said:
    Thanks for all the replies. My country currently has a mutual defense treaty with the US, but a regime change is underway and the winds of change are blowing. The incoming regime has trumpeted a "de-emphasis" on human rights under the age-old excuse of promoting law and order and shrugged off/trivialized media killings. The new leader is also very sensitive to criticism, and is taking steps that few of the populace realize are thinly veiled efforts to silence the mainstream media, who will no doubt be highly critical of what he plans to do.

Turkey?
    Or UAE!

edited June 2016

@Arjon said:

@jarland said:

@Arjon said:
    lol, it is unless you are telling the crimes/corruption of officials, then you will disappear.

This isn't /r/conspiracy, and you're not even from here.

Thank god I am not. If exposing government war crimes and corruption is conspiracy than you are proving what i meant. Americans need some justin bieber and kim kardashian news and the day is made. Fuck all important shit, right?

What I said stands, and contrary to your opinion you've made no intellectual challenge to it.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited June 2016

Arjon said: Thank god I am not. If exposing government war crimes and corruption is conspiracy than you are proving what i meant. Americans need some justin bieber and kim kardashian news and the day is made. Fuck all important shit, right?

If we look on a global scale being a whistleblower in the US - even if you go to jail forever - is much safer than in like Russia or China (or yea, also Israel - i don't even note Iran or Saudi Arabia, they execute you at the point anyway), where i highly doubt you ever see a "jail" from inside if you go spill secrets to the US embassy or public.....

Further, while everyone always seems to be worried about death... internationally proven dead people mean not much, it's the "disappeared" that are the most concern. Some Saudi official dies in Pakistan? Yea, happens. Some Saudi official goes "missing" like nothing in Pakistan and all parties (ISI, Military, Civil gov) just shut up entirely? Yea.. that won't end well.

• jhjh Member

Can't you just host in a country that doesn't like the country you're criticising?

• jh said: Can't you just host in a country that doesn't like the country you're criticising?

That's the usual, yea, US criticism in EU/Russia, Russia in US/EU, EU in US or (rarely) Russia.

• @jarland said:

1. Conspiracy theories.
    3. Anecdotal stories

Conspiracy theories? I think you missed a lot in the past few years!
    You are right, bashing other countries is totally fine in the US. Though, if it is about concerns of the five eyes thats a whole other story. Particularly if said country has a political relationship with the US. I think he never tried to say anything else. You need examples? What about national security letters blessed by FISC?

In conclusion if said nations have political relationships with the US or even worse direct partnerships with the NSA there is a high chance that a 'small & minor' host within the US could get such a nice letter. For example Turkey and UAE are approved sigint partners. Yea and then try to tell them they should 'piss of', forgot lavabit?

• faulwurf said: Particularly if said country has a political relationship with the US.

If you are US citizen and somewhat publicly known, plus living in the US you can bash FE and other nations, including the US, all day long.

Like literally, think for a minute - there are groups for secession inside the US, heavily armed (LEGAL even), which are just ONE STRAW from terrorist organisations (i.e. actually seizing something from local/federal gov).... you are not a DHS problem more than a NYT journalist, yea $agency might be on your ass to jail you for anything slightly criminal or similar, and they probably will not operate fully legal in this, but the chance to die or disappear is nearly zero.

• faulwurffaulwurf Member
    edited June 2016

@William said:

Yea, I think you are totally right. You won't die or disappear. But that was not really my point. Especially because I think OP is not a US citizen.

Besides that, even if you are a US citizen life won't be the same after you piss of $agency. They can do whatever they want with the consent of FISC even with US citizens. Remember, it is the so called 'Yes-committee'. I don't think it's fun to be a person on the DHS list espacially if you are a tech person or trying to travel around..

Edit: I think Aaron Schwarz is a really good example for someone who really did nothing bad but his life changed in such a worse way that it ended without the help of any agency trying to kill or vanish him..

edited June 2016

faulwurf said: Conspiracy theories? I think you missed a lot in the past few years!

Well then cite me some examples that disqualify my first hand experience. Start writing the research paper on the US, to tell an educated US citizen how it is in the US, from Netherlands where you're at. By all means, but you probably don't even disagree with me. Case in point:

faulwurf said: You are right, bashing other countries is totally fine in the US

I pay attention to plenty. Plenty of bad things happen in every country. None of it intellectually disqualifies my statement that US culture is heavy on free speech and heavily biased against foreign governments that disagree. US citizens run US companies, usually. Therefore US citizen with interest in free speech, backed by US law, often has an interest in protecting free speech within their control.

While you and a couple of others are upset that I would say something positive about the US, and I understand your reasoning, you're not invalidating my point with any facts. Instead, you're hilariously dragging out this thread into useless bickering. Because I mention something positive, I'm somehow morally obligated to then speak poorly of the country or I've made some kind of internet foul. I don't subscribe to that rule. What I said stands. My point was simple, it was true, and no one has directly disagreed with the individual points. Want to hear my point again for clarity? It's this:

If there's one way to make a US based company tell someone to piss off, it's for a foreign nation to contact them asking for information about a customer speaking out against their politics. Freedom of speech is a very deep rooted part of our culture. As is a disrespect for other countries that disagree.

I don't understand why I'm on page two of people bickering with me over that statement, yet not one has even disagreed with the points within the statement. If you disagree, make a case. Otherwise, kindly stop derailing this member's thread. I understand that you want me to throw the US under the bus for having said something positive about it, but I'm not going to do it. The rule that if I say something positive then I have to follow it with something negative to be considered intelligent is not a rule I choose to obey.

• faulwurffaulwurf Member
    edited June 2016

@Jarland said:

First, I'm not from netherlands, why do you think so?

I think I already gave you an example but I will try another angle.

You are right you can say what you like in the US but the consequences are a little bit different, at least to my country. (Read my last post - or google about any NYT journalist which wrote about an agency)

I thought we're having an interessting discussion here and I believe you asked for it:

jarland said: What I said stands, and contrary to your opinion you've made no intellectual challenge to it.

..but to get to an end, no I do not want you to bash the US. You're right I was upset but only because I thought that you are trying to say that talking about three letter agencies and their practices are conspiracy theories, which stated my second last quote from you. Maybe we're talking at cross purposes. Put simple, as you asked for it, I'm out here ;)