Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner now requiring photo of credit card?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner now requiring photo of credit card?

I just signed up again with hetzner to test their storage boxes. I got an email requiring me to send a photo of ID and another one of credit card. I know that a photo of ID is required for fraud protection but why a picture of credit card?! I had a dedicated server with them 6-7 months ago and i only had to send my ID. Sending a plain picture of my credit card is not safe and i can not accept this.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• Block out the two blocks in the middle and I think it'd be reasonably safe.

• @mpkossen said:
    Block out the two blocks in the middle and I think it'd be reasonably safe.

I would say mask the front block too, just leave the last one.

• @mpkossen said:
    @globalRegisters said:

@mpkossen said:

I would say mask the front block too, just leave the last one.

It still doesn't make any sense. Why would i send a photo of my credit card?! Isn't the ID enough? Which other providers requires a photo of credit card?!

• I think they're crazy, this is super unsafe... taking photos of people credit card...

• rokokrokok Member

Credit card physical photo? thats wired

• @rokok said:
    Credit card physical photo? thats wired
    @foreverman said:
    I think they're crazy, this is super unsafe... taking photos of people credit card...

Totally unsafe!!

Here is the full email:

Thank you very much for your order.

As a new customer, we kindly request that you provide us with a copy (scan/photo) of your passport or ID card for authentication purposes, together with a copy (scan/photo/screenshot) of your credit card.

This requirement is only necessary when you place your first order with us.

Please would you send the documents by fax or as an email attachment to this email address.

The documents submitted are saved for a period of three weeks.

Best regards

Your Hetzner Online Team

• Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

Maybe it's first time for you but I have seen other providers asking for Credit Card Scan Copy ! For Me, I had to send only ID to Hetzner when I signed up. You can always block the Numbers (except Last 4) !

• fitvpnfitvpn Member

Arjon said: What do you guys think?

Say them thanks and walk away.

• @Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:
    Maybe it's first time for you but I have seen other providers asking for Credit Card Scan Copy ! For Me, I had to send only ID to Hetzner when I signed up. You can always block the Numbers (except Last 4) !

That is not acceptable! Credit card doesn't prove anything.

@fitvpn said:

Arjon said: What do you guys think?

Say them thanks and walk away.

I like their service. Let's see how it goes. If they will insist in the photo of credit card, i will leave.

• fitvpnfitvpn Member

Arjon said: Let's see how it goes

Ask them why they still not accept PayPal

• @fitvpn said:

Arjon said: Let's see how it goes

When i signed up, i had the option to pay via paypal.

• fitvpnfitvpn Member

Arjon said: i had the option to pay via paypal.

Hetzner accept PayPal? Ou, was CC. Anyway, if they not trust you which reason to trust them? Isn't?

• @fitvpn said:

I pay them with paypal.

Thanked by 1Mathias
  • fitvpnfitvpn Member

louis_lau said: I pay them with paypal.

Good to know :)

• awvnxawvnx Member
    edited June 2016

Server hosts can ask you to verify your identity as a client however they like, but not for the credit card beyond the fraud checks that Visa/Mastercard does.

I'm fairly sure it's against the policies of Visa and Mastercard for vendors to request any additional verification of the credit card like showing photo ID or taking a picture of the CC. I know in practice that some companies ask this, but you can report them for this if you feel like stirring up trouble

• First 6 numbers are the BIN number (Card Type), so should be no issues just showing this, cover the rest of the 16 Digit Number, I am sure they want to make sure the name and details on the card match the name and details on the ID provided.

Thanked by 1Lee
  • @AshleyUk said:
    I am sure they want to make sure the name and details on the card match the name and details on the ID provided.

I thought payment gateways did this.

• FuslFusl Member

@Arjon said:
    Which other providers requires a photo of credit card?!

DigitalOcean requires you to send them a picture of you holding your credit card and passport.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2016

Its common if their anti-fraud is not sure who you are.

Photo of the card, greyscale, and cover with watermark with company name.

If they say no, the ask who their card processor is and formally complain with evidence.

Thanked by 2Pwner netomx
  • jtkjtk Member

Some providers will understandably implement mechanisms to limit fraud (or ward off customers they deem high risk). I would advise, under no circumstances should any legitimate customer provide a scan of their government issued id, a utility statement, credit card or so on. This shifts too high a fraud risk back onto a potential customer. I would be skeptical of any provider who would seriously request and use that data to validate a potential customer. For a provider interested in anti-fraud protection, it is not just ironic, but potentially risky for them to accept this material as well. Even if well intentioned, if ever that information was found to have escaped their control, they may suffer more than just a degraded reputation.

• dailydaily Member

@Fusl said:

@Arjon said:

DigitalOcean requires you to send them a picture of you holding your credit card and passport.

Since when? I wasn't aware of this, and I've had stuff with them for years now.

• FuslFusl Member
    edited June 2016

@daily said:
    Since when? I wasn't aware of this, and I've had stuff with them for years now.

About 1.5-2 years ago when I registered with them.

Hello!

We are excited to have you as a DigitalOcean customer.

Thank you for the information you have provided thus far. However, some of the information that you’ve provided seems a bit off.

To help us further verify your identity, please send us the following:

1. A photo of you holding your government-issued photo ID or passport
    2. A photo of the credit card you are using with the ID in the same picture

Send these documents to [email protected] with this ticket's ID in the subject e.g. "Ticket #522***".

We do this manual review process to ensure the safety and security of the platform for legitimate users, and to prevent cases of credit card fraud or identity theft. > Once you have sent that please let us know by replying to this ticket.

• Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

@Fusl said:

@Arjon said:

Ha ha ha xD Funny !

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

@Fusl said:

@Arjon said:

Like this?

Thanked by 3Fusl ihatetonyy Mathias
  • FuslFusl Member

@pbgben said:

Wonder if this will be accepted?

Nope.... The passport is unreadable.

Thanked by 1pbgben
  • RodneyRodney Member

Huh that's weird. When I registered they only wanted my ID, but because it's illegal to make or store copies of the new german ID and I do not have a passport/driving license I had to send them some other ID.

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

Just ask what parts are important? Maybe you can black out everything but first and last # and last name.. :D

• ehabehab Member

@pbgben @Fusl

i can understand the humor aspect, but to me this photo is not funny at all. A country torn apart and this poor guy is in this bloody mess... i hope peace comes back to Syria and enough innocent lives.

hope you can consider removing the photo link. thank you.

• emre22emre22 Member

@ehab said:
    @pbgben @Fusl

i can understand the humor aspect, but to me this photo is not funny at all. A country torn apart and this poor guy is in this bloody mess... i hope peace comes back to Syria and enough innocent lives.

hope you can consider removing the photo link. thank you.

Why? He has the flag of the terrorists on the wall and not the real syrian flag.

So we cant joke about radical terrorists?

Thanked by 3sin Lee Pwner