Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lightweight tool to collect and graph network traffic
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Lightweight tool to collect and graph network traffic

Currently looking for recommendations on (a) tool(s) that can do some lightweight network traffic collection and display bandwidth usage, current traffic, and pps in either in a live graph or rrd.

Source device is a highly outdated debian router ** cough ** vyos ** cough **, target device is a raspberry pi.

No remote monitoring solutions please.

Comments

• cassacassa Member

mrtg?

Thanked by 1PrincessOfCats
  • You could have the router output the stats file from the network interface.
    You can run cat on them and get the values as a test.
    For eth0 they are stored under /sys/class/net/eth0/statistics and if it something else just replace eth0 with what ever interface it is.

The data you can get is from these files
    collisions rx_errors rx_packets tx_errors multicast rx_fifo_errors tx_aborted_errors tx_fifo_errors rx_bytes rx_frame_errors tx_bytes tx_heartbeat_errors rx_compressed rx_length_errors tx_carrier_errors tx_packets rx_crc_errors rx_missed_errors tx_compressed tx_window_errors rx_dropped rx_over_errors tx_dropped

• @Jack said:
    Observium is pretty lightweight imo.

Might be cutting it a bit close with the amount of memory I have on the Pi but will be taking a look if mrtg does not work the way I want it to.

Thanks!

@cassa said:
    mrtg?

Seems to be the lightest solution so far, i'll take a look.

Thanks!

@andreblue said:
    You could have the router output the stats file from the network interface.
    You can run cat on them and get the values as a test.
    For eth0 they are stored under /sys/class/net/eth0/statistics and if it something else just replace eth0 with what ever interface it is.

The data you can get is from these files
    collisions rx_errors rx_packets tx_errors multicast rx_fifo_errors tx_aborted_errors tx_fifo_errors rx_bytes rx_frame_errors tx_bytes tx_heartbeat_errors rx_compressed rx_length_errors tx_carrier_errors tx_packets rx_crc_errors rx_missed_errors tx_compressed tx_window_errors rx_dropped rx_over_errors tx_dropped

Thanks, but not really looking for a homegrown solution at this time as I would have to generate the graphs myself.

• @alinuxninja you could just export them to a csv file and use something like excel to do the graph really easily

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Haven't used cacti in a while but it was popular...

http://cacti.net

• and.....

Its all done.

I was going to use this for a local network portal.
    mrtg is generating RRDs, which will be displayed with RrdGraphJS

Thanked by 1cassa
  • ATHKATHK Member

ntop ?