Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

is blesta good?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

is blesta good?

seenuseenu Member

I have used whmcs long back and satisfied with it

now my host gave me blesta as free license but i find it not to useful and its UI/UX looks very old.

do you guys recommend spending time learning to use it?

Comments

• What do you intend to use it for?

Thanked by 1click4easy
  • click4easyclick4easy Member
    edited June 2016

Blesta is definitely stable, because there are many hosting companies using it for production. It is being actively developed as far as i know. Paul form support is very helpful.

http://www.blesta.com/forums/ - official blesta forums. Ask your question there and you may find some blesta experiences.

Thanked by 1Licensecart
  • qpsqps Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2016

Based on what was described to me by their sales department, all credit card info currently runs through Blesta even if you use a gateway that stores credit card info offsite for you. They are going to have to redesign the core of Blesta to fix it. While the developers agree they need to fix it, it has been pushed off to future releases over and over again (I first asked about it in August 2013 - no updates since then). This basically means that you will have to go through your own PCI Compliance.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

That seems like a big thing for a project to delay...sign of an unhealthy publisher?

• I use the STRIPE GTWY option to "Store Card Information Offsite", and encourage clients to not store their payment information.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

hdpixel said: I use the STRIPE GTWY option to "Store Card Information Offsite", and encourage clients to not store their payment information.

Even if you do this, with Blesta the credit card still runs through the Blesta system, not directly to Stripe.

• seenuseenu Member

that single point is enough not to use it :)

my intention to use it to manage my clients, i have very few hosting, domain clients.

Currently i call and ask them for money but planning to use some software to send them invoices and get payments.

• @seenu said:
    that single point is enough not to use it :)

my intention to use it to manage my clients, i have very few hosting, domain clients.

Currently i call and ask them for money but planning to use some software to send them invoices and get payments.

People are paying for your "services"?

• HxxxHxxx Member

Use a third party service like paypal "standard" or 2checkout. Don't bother taking credit card data, unless you really have the time to go through PCI compliance. People can pay with credit cards directly with or without account in these two.

• LicensecartLicensecart Member
    edited June 2016

@seenu said:
    I have used whmcs long back and satisfied with it

Why look at other systems is you are "satisfied" with what you have? I chose the other way because I wasn't, others who swap aren't satisfied with what they have. And people who still use WHMCS are satisfied with it now cPanel owns 49%. But again unless you are not satisfied or want to use something "securer" (from Rack911labs & SafeorNot security auditors) there's no point changing.

@seenu said:
    now my host gave me blesta as free license but i find it not to useful and its UI/UX looks very old.

I've heard that before are you the same person on WHT? Because a lot of people disagree that it looks outdated compared to the company you are using today:

@seenu said:
    do you guys recommend spending time learning to use it?

If you go around WHMCS and then go around Blesta (in my opinion, and people I've worked with) you'll find it much easier because everything is where it should be.

Viewing Tickets:
    WHMCS: Support > Support tickets
    Blesta: Support

Setting up a Package:
    WHMCS: Settings > Products & Pricing > Add
    Blesta: Packages > Add

Disclaimer: But remember my reply is on facts and may seem bias because as people know I am a distributor, however I'm replying from a personal side and you would get it free from your host :D

Thanked by 1seenu
  • time4vpstime4vps Member, Host Rep

We have tested Blesta in the past.

Good things:

• Fast
    • OpenSource
    • Extentdable
    • Low price
    • Intuitive
    • Strong community

Bad things:

• Outdated
    • Lack of payment, provisioning modules
    • Lack of billing options for Europe business entities
    • Lack of inovations

OP, if you want to try something else than WHMCS, try ClientExec.com.

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

Blesta is not very flexible and is terrible to build modules for. Far less dynamic than WHMCS in my opinion. WHMCS has lots of bug but its a bigger/better system. Blesta is a pain in the a***!

• I would choose WHMCS than blesta anytime. Its just lacking really, and frankly they should have done a lot more at this stage.

• seenuseenu Member

Thanks for all replies, especially @Licensecart

i should have made it more clearer i have used whmcs some 4yrs back then i didn't use it.

blesta i started using recently and found to be missing something.

people are paying for my services but not through creditcard, usually they deposit directly into bank account.

PS. i don't have an account at WHT (if its webhostingtalk) so thats not me :)

• LeeLee Veteran

If Blesta was a serious contender then we would see it being used more, but it's not. I would still use WHMCS>Hostbill>ClientExec>Blesta.

Blesta is only a thing with the part time hosts as it's offered free with many providers.

• I use blesta and am not a part time host....I actually like blesta and what @Licensecart has shown me on blesta v4 it will look awesome compared to blesta v3.
    so what gateway are you using @seenu as I just use the paypal payments standard payment gateway to route everything through paypal.

Thanked by 1Licensecart
  • @Lee said:
    If Blesta was a serious contender then we would see it being used more, but it's not. I would still use WHMCS>Hostbill>ClientExec>Blesta.

Blesta is only a thing with the part time hosts as it's offered free with many providers.

Well there's one big host who uses Blesta, I can't mention them since they go on a potty to Paul about it, but you can spot them as active users on the forums :)

Thanked by 1ChrisMiller
  • seenuseenu Member

@timnboys as i mentioned before, most of my payments are offline

• timnboystimnboys Member
    edited June 2016

@seenu said:
    @timnboys as i mentioned before, most of my payments are offline

okay and what you specially want is for to send them invoices and then let them pay it online via blesta or you going in and marking it as paid when you receive their payment to your bank account? just confused on what you are trying to setup.
    as I can tell you from experience if you are setting something like this up use paypal for payments mainly because they will have your back if someone tries to chargeback on you for non-valid reasons.

• seenuseenu Member

to send invoice and remind them about payments,
    and also to get reminders for myself...

i have some clients who have been using my hosting for last 3years and didn't payment anything :( i didn't ask them...they didn't pay me

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited June 2016

timnboys said: I use blesta and am not a part time host

I can't tell, never heard of you to be honest. Of course there are providers that use it that is not in dispute, some will like it, my point is that it's not breaking any ground to be considered a serious contender to what is already out there.

It's there, it's an option but down the the list with ClientExec as an option and that is where it will remain for the foreseeable future. If it was going to make an impact it would have happened with V3. I recall many saying they were going to switch from WHMCS but very few did, many who tried it did not consider it good enough to stay with it. Yeah V4 and all that...

Even when WHMCS fucks up badly people still stay with it.

It's the same story all over with lots of other software, if you want to command a saturated market with a new product you need to make a monumental leap with something too good to pass, taking a small step at a time does not move the market.

Thanked by 1iKeyZ
  • Install invoiceplane, done.

Thanked by 1seenu
  • seenuseenu Member

@TheOnlyDK thanks for that, looks like good choice.

it fits my requirements very well, only drawback i can think of is suspending accounts for not making payment in time but i can do that manually for timebeing.

• @Licensecart said:

@Lee said:

Well there's one big host who uses Blesta, I can't mention them since they go on a potty to Paul about it, but you can spot them as active users on the forums :)

You mean knownhost?

Blesta still uses the god awful URL's, I have a lifetime license and that's one of my pet peeves.

• you are right and never had issues, people use our website, open tickets, places orders and no-one has complained to me and I've used Blesta 3.x for 3 years.