Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Revolutionary Arrival of BetterLinux : Compete with CloudLinux
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Revolutionary Arrival of BetterLinux : Compete with CloudLinux

Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran
edited March 2013 in General

Hi,
There is a news of new Linux Distro which is Paid. It's name is BetterLinux, I think it can be a good competitor in the world of Paid Linux Distros just like CloudLinux.

Here is their Website: http://www.betterlinux.com

It's free until May 01, 2013. After that $9 is the starting price [May be Partners will get discounts :P]. CloudLinux is a little bit costlier than it !

I will be looking for your comments.

Regards,
Mahfuz

Comments

• I somehow can't digest the idea of paid Linux OS.

• DamianDamian Member
    edited March 2013
    Will BetterLinux be compatible with cPanel/WHM and if so will that include plugins for WHM?

BetterLinux is currently developing integration and plug-ins for cPanel and WHM. The targeted release date is end of November 2012.

What's the point otherwise, if there's no plugins? Also, it's March 2013.

http://www.betterlinux.com/mysql.php doesn't really tell me anything. MySQL already has per-user accounting built in.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Damian said: March 2013

At which point it'll be announced that it's free for another 4 months.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

For anybody that didn't know, BetterLinux is made by the people who started BlueHost/HostMonster and then sold them to Endurance International Group. Matt Heaton strikes again :D

• Better Stability & Efficiency
    Without per-user connection limits, any user can monopolize all connections and behave like a DOS attack. And if you limit the Apache user, for example, you risk unnecessarily cutting off legitimate traffic. But because you can now tie all traffic to specific Linux users, you can also limit inbound connections per user and minimize the impact of DOS attacks. Connections beyond the limit are simply shut down. Less severe connection inefficiencies also occur many times a day without administrators even knowing it, which per-user connection limiting also solves.

I guess it's just a poorly-thought-out version of CloudLinux.

@ehostlab said: think it can be a good competitor in the world of Paid Linux Distros just like CloudLinux.

CloudLinux has a market, and a goal. This BetterLinux thing just seems to have a trainwreck.

edited March 2013

What is the different between this and CloudLinux, though?

• Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

@shovenose said: For anybody that didn't know, BetterLinux is made by the people who started BlueHost/HostMonster and then sold them to Endurance International Group. Matt Heaton strikes again :D

Oh, I was not aware of this. Then, it should be a piece of crap also as Bluehost and Hostgator :D

@Damian said: CloudLinux has a market, and a goal. This BetterLinux thing just seems to have a trainwreck.

Yeah, that's also a point.

Just installed BetterLinux on our shared servers. So far so good. :)

• cart says:
    Beta Products - BetterLinux "Free Until March 1 2013" Beta

but main site:

BetterLinux is FREE
    Until May 1, 2013

• AFAIK,it was started by old bluehost CEO

• danodano Member

A Linux distro that you have to pay for(strike 1) and it's built by the folks associated with Endurance International Group(strikes 2 and 3) - no thank you.

• it has different things built into it like cloud linux does.

• Do you even understand what Cloudlinux is? It's not an OS, it's a kernel

@BronzeByte go to cloudlinux.com the title is "CloudLinux OS"

• erhwegesrgsrerhwegesrgsr Member
    edited March 2013

@shovenose said: "CloudLinux OS"

For people like you, I quote from http://cloudlinux.com/about/features.php

All tenants on the server are isolated from each other so if one goes down everyone else is still safe and stable.

CloudLinux utilizes a kernel level technology to set resource limits per tenant. This ensures a tenant can never use more than the resources given to them.

Converting from CentOS or RHEL takes 5-10 minutes utilizing yum. Immediately puts your customers into isolation for better stability.

It's just a different kernel which you put in via yum, if it really was an OS you would have to reinstall your server

• @BronzeByte said: Do you even understand what Cloudlinux is? It's not an OS, it's a kernel

But he's the CEO of his company, he has to know.

• AmitzAmitz Member

@shovenose: You test a new kernel on your live systems with customers on it? Really?

@Amitz only caused MySQL to stop working once so far.
    Other than that it's been very stable and performance is noticeably more consistent. Shame my shared server with the host people on it is an old CentOS 5 box that won't run BetterLinux :(

• erhwegesrgsrerhwegesrgsr Member
    edited March 2013

@shovenose said: only caused MySQL to stop working once so far.

MySQL is usually critical to be working

• I don't see why people are freaking out over paying for it. I LOVE and use CloudLinux. It is honestly one of the best pieces of software for cpanel. Worth every cent.

• I think it's... uhm... bad that it's causing MySQL to stop working.

I'm all for trying out the latest and greatest builds / releases of software, however just not on a production server/environment.

• Wish I had seen this earlier, I just bought 2 Debian licenses

I'm a n00b yet. So, couldn't understand all words clearly.

• This is a terrible produck.

Cloudlinux master race.

• ThorThor Member

@Ehostlab (Mahfuz), Dano, and others: BetterLinux is not a Linux distro. It’s a set of kernel modules designed to eventually run on all popular Linux distros. As of today, it runs on CentOS 6.x and RHEL. A Debian release is on the way, and it will continue from there.

Whatever your opinion of Bluehost and HostMonster (BetterLinux CEO, Matt Heaton, founded both), BetterLinux is a stand-alone product that does much more than CloudLinux. Here are just a few random points:

• BetterLinux trounces CL in options.
    • CL doesn’t allow you to define different I/O limits per block device! This is just crazy since you can have different devices with totally different performance. This is especially bad because CL only lets you define static limits (no option for dynamic limits), so you can’t even specify the limits in percentage, priority, or something similar.
    • BetterLinux’s IO limits have much less overhead (better use of cache locality).
    • Unlike BetterLinux, CL doesn’t support whitelisting, which is necessary for effective process limiting.
    • CL throttles re-writes of pages that don’t generate any additional I/O. This is inefficient and slow.
    • BetterLinux uses a unique token-bucket approach to I/O resource distribution that gives added priority to small I/O requests, which benefits the vast majority of users.
    • MOST NOTABLY: Unlike CL, BetterLinux lets you define both static limits AND dynamic limits. CL forces you to choose a single target, and then hope you got it right. That also ignores changing circumstances and usage patterns. That is a big problem. Beyond individual user behavior, an admin should be concerned with a global target disk utilization, which is the best guarantor of system stability. BetterLinux lets you (if you want) set a global target in addition to static limits. Then smart algorithms proportionately scale individual limits to maintain a healthy disk utilization. Using both static and dynamic (target disk utilization) limits together also gives you information to help you set wiser static limits. It’s a no-brainer that this is the way to go. Any solution that doesn’t even allow you to set a target disk utilization is fundamentally broken (ie., CloudLinux). An added benefit of a settable target disk utilization (with auto-scaling) is that there is no such thing as unused resources. When any resource goes unused, all individual static limits are “auto-scaled” up, increasing performance across the board. No other solution comes close to this level of efficiency.

@Damian: You are right that BetterLinux plans to release its WHM/cPanel plugin this month (March ’13).

You say that BetterLinux’s product page for BetterMySQL doesn’t tell you anything since MySQL already has built-in per-user accounting. What you’re missing is that BetterLinux offers per-Linux-user accounting, not just per-MySQL-user accounting. To be able to assign responsibility for MySQL queries to individual LINUX users (specific UIDs) (and not just to MySQL users) is huge. This adds a great deal of throttling control that wasn’t there before.

Given some of your other comments, Damian, I question your knowledge. Your vague negativity provides either no information or mistaken information. Criticism is good, but not uninformed criticism.

@Dano: I already mentioned that BetterLinux is not a distro. Nor does BetterLinux have anything to do with Endurance Intl.

@Giant_CRAB: If you have a real reason for your opinion, state the reason so other members can learn something. But judging from the comment, there isn't one.

@Thor Are you an affiliate or something connected to this BetterLinux ?? ;) Just asking, don't mind !

• BetterLinux currently does not support OpenVZ/Virtuozzo systems

• @Thor said: @Giant_CRAB: If you have a real reason for your opinion, state the reason so other members can learn something. But judging from the comment, there isn't one.

This isn't a school, this is a forum.

@mtoledoce said: BetterLinux currently does not support OpenVZ/Virtuozzo systems

Cloudlinux doesn't support OVZ afaik.

• BetterLinux Currently does not support OpenVZ Systems

Pah, bye bye the LET market for /betterlinux/ :S