Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Maybe this has happened to you so you can help me
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Maybe this has happened to you so you can help me

leonaleona Member

I have this domain name that I wanted to point at my new vps. I get the ns1 and ns2 info from the seller here in lowend. I go to the domain website and login to my control panel to update the dns servers with the info I got from the vps support ticket.

I can ping the IP to my vps but the ping to the domain name will not go through. I saw a warning from the ping that the A address was something or other, so I logged back in at the domain holder and set the A address to my domain name.com and the IP address.

It's been over 24 hours and I still can't ping my domain name but I can ping the IP. I think it has to be on the domain holder end and I sent a support ticket in over 24 hours ago but no answer yet.

Any ideas?

Comments

• WHTWHT Member

Add A record on your domain.

• AbdussamadAbdussamad Member
    edited June 2016

If you've added the A record and it's still not pinging then the problem is likely DNS propagation delays. It can take up to 72 hours for that to sort itself out. In the meantime I suggest using the dig linux command line tool:

dig @4.2.2.1 example.com

The above looks up your domain's A record on the level3 nameservers.

Alternatively you can do the same using a convenient web tool:

http://network-tools.com/nslook/

If you want further help then please share your domain with us. There is no way for us to do DNS lookups without knowing your domain name!

• leonaleona Member

I tried that network-tools and got DNS query for talkradio.rocks failed: Timed out for the A and DNS query. It maybe at the registrar end.

Thanks

• jtkjtk Member

whois talkradio.rocks doesn't list any name servers so the registry hasn't gotten those from the registar (or your hosting provider) yet.

I'm not familiar with the talks TLD, but some TLD operators like to enforce some practices (e.g. name servers are available and sufficiently diverse from an address perspective).

This seems like a an issue with the DNS configuration at your DNS reseller or the DNS reseller itself. No amount of DNS querying will fix this until the name servers get put into the TLD.

• firstly check whether your DNS servers are running

host yourdomain.tld
    dig yourdomain.tld
    nslookup yourdomain.tld

• FalzoFalzo Member

won't you be able to just use the nameservers of your domain provider instead and change the A entry on those to your VPS IP? why rely on the nameservers of that VPS provider (whoever that is)

• AbdussamadAbdussamad Member
    edited June 2016

Currently you have the nameservers set to ns1.talkradio.rocks and ns2.talkradio.rocks. This means you are trying to run your own authoritative DNS servers. Look ups for both ns1 and ns2 fail so you haven't set the glue records in your registrar's control panel. My suggestion is that, as @Falzo, said unless you really know how to run your own authoritative nameservers (unlike with shared hosting most VPS providers do not do DNS hosting for you) it is best to use your registrar i.e. name.com's nameservers: https://www.name.com/dns. Once you've changed the DNS servers for talkradio.rocks to name.com's you can set the A record using the name.com control panel.

Thanked by 1Falzo