Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ping monitor
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ping monitor

marlmarl Member

Hi,

Is there any opensource monitoring tool that i can use to monitor on my network, ex ping an IP then if it RTO it will send an email? Just like some monitoring tools around but will be using it on my network only, no internet access.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Nagios?

• marlmarl Member

@zafouhar said:
    Nagios?

thanks, i was looking at it and seems complicated but might give it a try. was only looking for a simple monitoring to ping an ip, then emails when it rto.

• @marl said:

@zafouhar said:
    Nagios?

thanks, i was looking at it and seems complicated but might give it a try. was only looking for a simple monitoring to ping an ip, then emails when it rto.

I'm personally using Nagios along with Centreon for ease of administration

• cassacassa Member

If it's only for pinging, try Smokeping

• LiteServerLiteServer Member, Patron Provider

To name a few ones:
    Nagios / Observium / Smokeping

• JarryJarry Member

@marl said:

i.e. "monit" can do it. It is much simpler tool than nagios & co., but can do some basic checking of local/remote hosts, including ping-test:

https://mmonit.com/monit/documentation/monit.html#NETWORK-PING-TEST

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

+1 for SmokePing

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

+1 for SmokePing, too.

Comes right after Network WeatherMap in my personal list of most useful network status visualization tools. Keep it smart and simple.

For monitoring, graphing and alarming you may also have a look at Munin for generating RRDs.

Nagios / Icinga is also very common and efficient but only supports "red/green" monitoring out of the box, i.e. it won't record and graph the exakt RTT over time for later analysis. Of course you could define a warning if RTT goes above a certain level.