Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone familiar with shorten url service and hosts?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone familiar with shorten url service and hosts?

HybridHybrid Member
edited March 2013 in General

So I want to host my own public shorten url website.

My big question is, can I host it on any server? That is, if someone creates a shorten url for an adult site, will I get in trouble with my host, assuming that my host doesn't allow adult contents to be hosted?

I know that the adult content won't be hosted on my site, but my site will be redirecting to adults content. Will that violates my non-adult-host policy of my host?

Comments

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Why not ask your host?

• @Zen said: Yes you can host it - since you are only redirecting, you aren't even proxying traffic.

There are hosts that don't allow linking to such content either (and redirecting would be considered linking).

• NickMNickM Member

@Bogdacutuu said: There are hosts that don't allow linking to such content either (and redirecting would be considered linking).

Hosts that place arbitrary restrictions on what you can and cannot host aren't worth using anyways. And restricting what you can and can't LINK to? Completely unnecessary.

• superpilesossuperpilesos Member
    edited March 2013

@NickM said: And restricting what you can and can't LINK to? Completely unnecessary.

I think 99% of hosts would disagree with you the moment they receive a DMCA

• @raindog308 said: Why not ask your host?

I don't have a host yet!

I know there are a lot of hosting companies in here, so I'm wondering what do they think about this?

• NickMNickM Member

@superpilesos said: I think 99% of hosts would disagree with you the moment they receive a DMCA

It's not illegal to link to infringing content, except in a very few limited circumstances. DMCA notices for linking to infringing content can, and should, be directed to /dev/null.

• ATHKATHK Member

You can start this up pretty easily, CodeCanyon has some scripts, or do it yourself.

This one has some sexy features! - http://codecanyon.net/item/premium-url-shortener/3688135

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Well, we are more restrictive than some of the hosts here and we would allow it, so I'd say you're safe! :)

• I used to run a URL shortener years ago before twitter even existed. The biggest problem is that spammers use URL shorteners to hide their URLs before sending them out in spam. So you will likely be taken down by your host for helping spammers! Even if you provide contact information on your site for abuse reports people will still contact your host directly and you will get in trouble with them.

Also because a lot of your traffic will be from spammers you will find it impossible to monetize it. For example you can forget about Google Adsense.

So overall URL shortener sites are more trouble than they are worth.