Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Satellite Internet / A1
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Satellite Internet / A1

SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep
edited June 2016 in Requests
  • Does any one here have Satellite internet?
  • Does your IP address appear as Country Code A1 (Anonymous proxy) at https://www.maxmind.com/en/geoip-demo ?
  • Does anyone have some other IP addresses that appear as Anonymous Proxy? Or country codes O1, A1, or A2?

Doing a bit of research on the AP GeoIP zone. Please do reply with your IP address (X.X.X.0/24 fine)

EDIT: Sorry that form outputs "Anonymous Proxy" not a country code when given an AP geolocated IP.

Comments

• EricBEricB Member
    edited June 2016

I do have satellite internet at our family camp and we get around 700-800ms, 5Mbps down and 1Mbps up on a good day without clouds. No it does not show up as AP.

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

@EricB thanks.

Thanked by 1EricB
  • pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

You may be looking for one of the shipping providers.

ping ~800

@pbgben said:
    You may be looking for one of the shipping providers.

Thanks had not thought of that.

FYI to those interested, I am trying to find some legitimate uses for the country code which is primarily used by VPN providers and err... Nefarious networks.

• @SplitIce said:
    Please do reply with your IP address (X.X.X.0/24 fine)

>

Then we ipip.net will correct them to their physical location...

@XIAOSpider97 of course you dont have to.

@XIAOSpider97 said:

@SplitIce said:
    Please do reply with your IP address (X.X.X.0/24 fine)

>

Then we ipip.net will correct them to their physical location...

So how would you handle satcoms on moving vehicles? Like ships for example.

• @pbgben said:

The landing station's location.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@XIAOSpider97 said:

@pbgben said:

The landing station's location.

That doesn't make sense for boats that are away from there home ports for most of their useful life.

• LordSpockLordSpock Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2016

Hi, it depends on where you are in the world:

When I'm in the UK or Ireland my satellite internet gives me a British IP,

In Mainland Europe it tends to be a "EU" IP, but in less developed parts of the world such as Asia/South America you'll tend to get an "AP" IP.

Ships that use Satellite Internet will usually either have an IP fixed to their Headquarters or will pick one up from each satellite.

Hope this helps.

For a few, AS29286 might show some IPs.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • deployvmdeployvm Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2016

Go to speedtest.net and find ISPs located in Kamchatsky or similar regions in the extreme parts of Asia.

E.g. 77.82.124.0/24
    These are regions on satellite internet. 600ms+ latency. Has correct GEOIP.

• trewq said: That doesn't make sense for boats that are away from there home ports for most of their useful life.

Well, we just don't want to mark them as "unknown".

@XIAOSpider97 said:

trewq said: That doesn't make sense for boats that are away from there home ports for most of their useful life.

Well, we just don't want to mark them as "unknown".

At least you can work out what kind of laws apply to the IP your being attacked from.

• smansman Member
    edited June 2016

@EricB said:
    I do have satellite internet at our family camp and we get around 700-800ms, 5Mbps down and 1Mbps up on a good day without clouds. No it does not show up as AP.

That's not bad. I think 700-800ms is about as low as it can get. Can't wait for low earth orbit internet with sub 100ms although that is probably still at least 5 years away.

• EricBEricB Member

@sman yea I talked to xplornet about it and they said that's the minimum you would get no matter what.

• @sman said:
    That's not bad. I think 700-800ms is about as low as it can get. Can't wait for low earth orbit internet with sub 100ms although that is probably still at least 5 years away.

I think O3B can deliver ~200ms latency... their satellite service.

Some island countries, their ISPs use O3B's service. The latency is much lower than when they were using "Pacific Teleports"...

• smansman Member
    edited June 2016

@XIAOSpider97 said:

@sman said:

I think O3B can deliver ~200ms latency... their satellite service.

Some island countries, their ISPs use O3B's service. The latency is much lower than when they were using "Pacific Teleports"...

That is a medium orbit equatorial system so I think you have to be near the equator. Also there are gaps in coverage so I think it goes out every so often as the sats move. In other words it's not an option for the vast majority of people. They may close the gap eventually with more sats if they haven't already. Those sats are still fairly high. 200ms may be a bit optimistic.