Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A journey from Dedicated server to VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

A journey from Dedicated server to VPS

Hello,

Guys, I want to know how we can make VPS from dedicated server after purchasing and I have some questions. Hope you guys will help me out. Thanks in advance

1> Do I need to consider any configuration before purchasing dedicated server or all dedis are able to be VPS?
2> I have seen on many place they says "/29 Ipv4" and says 5 usable. I guess /29 block comes with 8 IPs
3> How do we provide IPs to VPS's
4>How to provide internal linking for VPS?

Note: I want to buy for my self and some friends.

Hopefully,
VishalP.
Thank you.

Comments

• david_Wdavid_W Member

you can pick any cheap dedi with VT-x to start with. If single IP is fine, KVM+NATed network is good enough to play with.

The lowest cost for a decent setup would be OVH SYS product line they has cheapest IPs.

• @david_W said:
    you can pick any cheap udedi with VT-x to start with. If single IP is fine, KVM+NATed network is good enough to play with.

The lowest cost for a decent setup would be OVH SYS product line they has cheapest IPs.

What is kvm+nated

Btw Thank You!

• RizRiz Member

@vishalpatelz said:

@david_W said:
    you can pick any cheap udedi with VT-x to start with. If single IP is fine, KVM+NATed network is good enough to play with.

What is kvm+nated

Btw Thank You!

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=kvm
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=NAT

Might be worth looking into a hypervisor to make your job easier, look into Proxmox, Xen, or ESX.

• elgselgs Member
    edited May 2016
    One network address (Not usable)
    One gateway (Not usable)
    One broadcast address (Normally not used)
    Rest are usable.

That's how IPv4 addresses are splurged.

• RadWebHostingRadWebHosting Member, Host Rep

You can look into control panels such as Virtualizor or SolusVM to assist with making the VPS on your server.

• david_Wdavid_W Member

@Riz said:

Might be worth looking into a hypervisor to make your job easier, look into Proxmox, Xen, or ESX.

ESXi and Proxmox is both nice as a platform, but it's not quite as good for learning how hypervisors works. They both work great if you have a block of IP on hand.

I started with ESXi many years ago but I learned the most about virturation from qemu-KVM.

• @elgs said:
    One network address (Not usable)
    One gateway (Not usable)
    One broadcast address (Normally not used)
    Rest are usable.

That's how IPv4 addresses are splurged.

Can somebody answer my 1,3,4 th question

• @david_W said:

@Riz said:

ESXi and Proxmox is both nice as a platform, but it's not quite as good for learning how hypervisors works. They both work great if you have a block of IP on hand.

I started with ESXi many years ago but I learned the most about virturation from qemu-KVM.

Thank You! I have seen proxmox do I need to consider any hardware configuration before purchase

• @RadWebHosting said:
    You can look into control panels such as Virtualizor or SolusVM to assist with making the VPS on your server.

Which one of them are free
    Thank You!

• @vishalpatelz said:

@RadWebHosting said:

Which one of them are free
    Thank You!

None of those two, you can use proxmox which is free. Proxmox doesn't have openvz anymore in version 4, but if KVM is all you want then go for it.

• LeeLee Veteran

No offence but "100% clueless" springs to mind. You need to start with basics like, learning Linux and move on from there.

I am all for assisting people but you are not looking for help, you want it on a plate with no effort required.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • @Lee said:
    No offence but "100% clueless" springs to mind. You need to start with basics like, learning Linux and move on from there.

I am all for assisting people but you are not looking for help, you want it on a plate with no effort required.

Thats true but I have some working knowledge of linux but just new to controls and config of vps via panels and it comes with some networking so my poor side.

I am sorry you felt it that way.
    Thank You!

• DACDAC Member

You need to consider the type of vps you want to create. Choose the best virtualization option for you and what will be best for what you want to do.
    OpenVZ, KVM, Xen there are many options out there, so read up on what each one does different so you can consider which one will work best for you.

• edited May 2016

@vishalpatelz said:
    Thats true but I have some working knowledge of linux but just new to controls and config of vps via panels and it comes with some networking so my poor side.

If you truly want to learn anything in 'nix, drop all the GUIs and front ends and learn what really drives the software you are using.

Edit: This has the side benefit of better security (no additional software) and requires less resources (as oppposed to GUIs) to run so you can use lower end hardware and still deliver good performance.

• learning the ins and outs of linux is the first thing you have to do. You're going to have to be able to solve problems in the server when they happen, and believe me they will happen. And as @DAC mentioned, you have to find the type of virtualization that will best work for you. They're each good for something different, just gotta think what is best for your server

• @ceibaNet said:
    learning the ins and outs of linux is the first thing you have to do. You're going to have to be able to solve problems in the server when they happen, and believe me they will happen. And as @DAC mentioned, you have to find the type of virtualization that will best work for you. They're each good for something different, just gotta think what is best for your server

I selected KVM.

• I'd say understanding linux network configuration fundamentals is a hard requirement, even for running your private virtualization lab.

Grab a $20/25 dacentec with a /29 if you don't want to waste space/electricity on home server.