Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are Hetzner storage boxes good?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Are Hetzner storage boxes good?

Hi,

I have to create an online infrastructure for a couple of web apps and I am planning on buying hetzner products. I will buy 2 dedicated servers and one storage box (the one which costs 10 euro). I want to use the storage box for backups (which are critical). Is it enough to use only one storage box? Do they keep backups? Thank you.

PS: If there are suggestions to use another provider, feel free to reply.

Comments

• notgodnotgod Member

yep
    speed is fast
    i have order 2x2000G Plan

but, must checking the connection limit.

• FalzoFalzo Member

hetzner does not do backups on dedicated servers. their storage boxes come with a snapshot feature though. the box you mentioned comes with a maximum of 8 snapshots if I remember correctly. probably you have to do those snapshots manually...

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Probably best to take offsite backups. Don't want to lose your backups if your provider decides to terminate you

• drdrakedrdrake Member

@Awmusic12635 said:
    Probably best to take offsite backups. Don't want to lose your backups if your provider decides to terminate you

How can they terminate my account without a reason? I am not doing anything illegal... Has this happened before?

Arjon said: How can they terminate my account without a reason? I am not doing anything illegal... Has this happened before?

It could be for any number of reasons or simply a mistake on their part, things happen. Best to be prepared, especially if this data is as critical as you mention.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Arjon said:

@Awmusic12635 said:

How can they terminate my account without a reason? I am not doing anything illegal... Has this happened before?

No, instead consider that a bad example of the saying 'don't put all your eggs in one basket'.

Thanked by 1thagoat

That is basically what I was trying to say ^

• drdrakedrdrake Member

@Nekki said:

@Arjon said:

@Awmusic12635 said:

No, instead consider that a bad example of the saying 'don't put all your eggs in one basket'.
    @Awmusic12635 said:
    That is basically what I was trying to say ^

Would you recommend amazon s3? I might use it but i am afraid i might have to pay a lot more if i use amazon.

Arjon said: Would you recommend amazon s3? I might use it but i am afraid i might have to pay a lot more if i use amazon.

Unless you absolutely need the features S3 offers, probably not. Just get either a high storage vps or dedicated somewhere else and backup to that.

• drdrakedrdrake Member

@Awmusic12635 said:

Arjon said: Would you recommend amazon s3? I might use it but i am afraid i might have to pay a lot more if i use amazon.

Unless you absolutely need the features S3 offers, probably not. Just get either a high storage vps or dedicated somewhere else and backup to that.

You mean to have 2 backup points?

• msg7086msg7086 Member

I heard that traffic outgoing from Amazon is pretty expensive. If you have 4 TB of backup data and you want to retrieve it to recover your loss, It can cost you up to $400 for the traffic alone.

• drdrakedrdrake Member

@msg7086 said:
    I heard that traffic outgoing from Amazon is pretty expensive. If you have 4 TB of backup data and you want to retrieve it to recover your loss, It can cost you up to $400 for the traffic alone.

What the hell?! I guess i might use it only for database backups.

• WeikangWeikang Member

I have not used their storage boxes so I can't say anything. But their servers are quite Okay.