Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I run chown -R www-data:www-data xxx.com / by mistake...
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I run chown -R www-data:www-data xxx.com / by mistake...

StarryStarry Member, Host Rep
edited March 2013 in General

and I press Ctrl+C as soon as possible. now many services are affected...

what should I do to fix it? I am trying to run chown one by one - -

Comments

• Nice! Im sure we have all done this before

• @Spencer said: Nice! Im sure we have all done this before

Nah, I just rsync'd my Minecraft customer's files to a Kimsufi at 5am beig sleepy and didn't see disk space ran out on the kimsufi (stupid /home partinioning of OVH, i stored in /root) and happily wiped my main node, god, that was stupid.

• KenshinKenshin Member
    edited March 2013

1) Restore your backup into another folder
    2) find /folder-of-backup -user username

You will then have a list of full paths owned by each of the original username. Write a simple script that parses the file and re-chown to the original user.

If you can't do it yourself, I'm sure there's some LowEndTech here that will do it for a small fee.

• StarryStarry Member, Host Rep

@Kenshin - -I didn't backup the files that in /etc /var and so on...

• Oh boy, well then temp solution is to chown everything back to root:root then re-chown whatever you have in backup. At least you didn't chmod, that one would be worse.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

Well, can't you make a script to chown it back based on the directory? Assuming you have something that can tell you which user owns which directory.

@Kenshin oh, I fix it now... so tired...

• this -> find . -type d -print0|xargs -0 chown user:user .. use 'f' over 'd' for files .. can chmod et al

• best bet is to learn you lesson and redo your server because chowning everything as root could open a security hole.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Only two options I can think of:

(1) restore from backup

(2) create a VM with that OS (could even be on a desktop virtualbox/vmware/etc.) and then run a script to capture the ownership of every file and directory, then play that back on your messed up VM

BTW, I always capture /etc in backups. /var maybe not, depending on the filesystem layout, but /etc is a must. It's small (megabytes) and has a ton of config info that is a pain to recreate. In general I capture everything by default and only exclude specific things:

/var/tmp
    /var/lib/mysql
    /var/mysql
    /tmp
    /dev
    /proc
    /sys
    /etc/udev

MySQL is listed there only because I do a dump ahead of time and of course the dump directory is backed up.

I could probably add to that list - /lib, /usr/lib, /usr/bin, etc. But in the big scheme, it's better to have too much than too little.

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

At least it wasn't one of those rm -rf commands, glad you got through and were able to fix it after some hard work @Jylee ;)

• Except for /home eventually, and for a given os/distro, the owner will be the same. So I would get the data from another VPS and apply it to the broken one.

• buy a second kimsufi and drag the files over you need :-)

• twaintwain Member
    edited March 2013

Well now you will hopefully never do that again... sudo might have saved you there if you had to enter pass and got a chance to take a 2nd look...

• @twain said: Well now you will hopefully never do that again... sudo might have saved you there if you had to enter pass and got a chance to take a 2nd look...

Sudo doesn't ask for password every time.

• jhjh Member

@Bogdacutuu said: Sudo doesn't ask for password every time.

Depends on the settings in /etc/sudoers

• @jhadley said: Depends on the settings in /etc/sudoers

since he didn't use sudo (he ran the command directly as root), I highly doubt he edited that file at all

@Bogdacutuu no, I run sudo su when I connect to my server.

• i suggest you, to run!

• twaintwain Member

@bogdacutuu notice I said ”if you had to enter pass”