Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Couple of Different Problems
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Couple of Different Problems

Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

Hi,

I have got couple of Problems, if anyone here can help Me out, so posting those:

1. Suppose I have HDD more than 2TB in Size i.e. 4TB & I need to virtualize the Dedicated Server with OpenVZ. As OpenVZ uses the /vz Partition, I can't put a single Partition more than 2TB according to Linux Rules (other than GPT). So, if I make /vz, /vz1, /vz2, is there any way to use all the partition as Disk Space in OpenVZ Virtualization. Here, I'll use SolusVM.

2. If I can't do Number 1, is it possible to create partition more than 2TB after CentOS has been installed, if yes, then how ?? Will I able to use that partition for OpenVZ Virtualization ??

3. Is there any way to make MySQL Ram Hungry other than CPU Resource ?? I mean it'll utilize less CPU but will use Higher Ram ??

Thanks for reading these weird Questions :P

Comments

• For 1 and 2, i think you should use LVM.

• Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

@budi1413 said:
    For 1 and 2, i think you should use LVM.

I have used LVM earlier, as far as I can remember, I wasn't able to make partition more than 2TB in size !

• http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/lvm2faq.html

Scroll to the bottom. I never do larger than 2 tb tho.

• Any reason why won't just use GPT so can have a single partition bigger than 2TB?

• rds100rds100 Member

Assuming you don't want to use GPT (i don't like it either), you can create two partitions of 2TB each, make each one a PV (Physical Volume for LVM) and add them to the same VG (Volume Group).

• To answer 3) RAM is a completely different thing in comparison to the CPU. The RAM basically is fast temporary memory that holds instructions for the CPU.

Essentially, if something uses more CPU, you can't make it use more RAM + less CPU.

@AshleyUk said:
    Any reason why won't just use GPT so can have a single partition bigger than 2TB?

I don't know how to do that ! Googled but didn't find tutorial !

@budi1413 said:
    http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/lvm2faq.html

Scroll to the bottom. I never do larger than 2 tb tho.

Does LVM & Direct Partitioning have any difference ?? Like, any system loss if I do LVM instead of Direct Partitioning ?

• RalliasRallias Member

rds100 said: Assuming you don't want to use GPT (i don't like it either), you can create two partitions of 2TB each, make each one a PV (Physical Volume for LVM) and add them to the same VG (Volume Group).

That's not how MBR partitioning works. The total size can only be 2 TB, not each partition.

@Rallias said:

rds100 said: Assuming you don't want to use GPT (i don't like it either), you can create two partitions of 2TB each, make each one a PV (Physical Volume for LVM) and add them to the same VG (Volume Group).

That's not how MBR partitioning works. The total size can only be 2 TB, not each partition.

Do you have any idea what is the simplest way for Me to make a 3TB Partition & use it on OpenVZ Virtualization ?? I mean, if I can create /vz with >2TB in size, My Problem is solved Maybe !

• rds100rds100 Member

Rallias said: That's not how MBR partitioning works. The total size can only be 2 TB, not each partition.

Nope

Disk /dev/sdc: 3000.6 GB, 3000592982016 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 364801 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0xef24d77e

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
    /dev/sdc1               1      267349  2147480811   8e  Linux LVM
    /dev/sdc2          267350      364801   782783190   8e  Linux LVM

• MunMun Member

I can't believe this person is a provider. Ugh.

• FoulFoul Member

Mun said: I can't believe this person is a provider. Ugh.

Agreed, ♥

Thanked by 1zafouhar
  • Mahfuz_SS_EHL said: Is there any way to make MySQL Ram Hungry other than CPU Resource ?? I mean it'll utilize less CPU but will use Higher Ram ??

If you're talking about running your own script. Try a cache system so it will drastically reduce DB queries.

@Mun said:

So, you think, one can't be a provider if he doesn't know about partitioning >2TB Drive ?? Sigh ! A Provider tag is something which making you feel angry ??

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2016

^ Well hosts don't know everything for sure, its not uncommon that a customer asks for help with 'insert super specific thing here' and they clearly already know more than me about said subject.

I think the concern comes from that fact that partitioning and disk images/volumes and management of said things is fairly essential to a virtual environment especially if anything ever goes wrong.

Thanked by 1theroyalstudent

but yeah... just use GPT

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2016

< nevermind, ignore me, sorry >

@AnthonySmith I found these tutorials.

http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2012/08/2tb-gtp-parted/

http://www.systutorials.com/46294/making-gpt-partition-table-and-creating-partitions-with-parted-on-linux/

http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/fdisk-unable-to-create-partition-greater-2tb.html

Everything seems logical but at one step, the tutorial mentioned all data will be lost. Now, when I'm working in a CentOS installed environment, so My OS Files will also be lost then, how can I run the steps ? Or, I missed something ?

@AnthonySmith I found these tutorials.

http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2012/08/2tb-gtp-parted/

http://www.systutorials.com/46294/making-gpt-partition-table-and-creating-partitions-with-parted-on-linux/

http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/fdisk-unable-to-create-partition-greater-2tb.html

Everything seems logical but at one step, the tutorial mentioned all data will be lost. Now, when I'm working in a CentOS installed environment, so My OS Files will also be lost then, how can I run the steps ? Or, I missed something ?

• That is correct, you will need to do a full reinstall of your OS but use GPT during the install instead of MBR.

Your need to use either a KVM or an ILO interface or pay your dedicated provider to install via a bootable USB/ISO for you.

or just make 2 x2TB partitions, add them as PV's to the VG and then create a giant LV of 4TB and mount it at /vz

• MunMun Member

@Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:

@Mun said:

So, you think, one can't be a provider if he doesn't know about partitioning >2TB Drive ?? Sigh ! A Provider tag is something which making you feel angry ??

GPT should be almost standard knowledge at this point. Further there are a ton of discussions on the topic . Finally, this isn't like your first stupid question.

@jarland would it be possible to petition for people to have there tag removed if they clearly don't have a clue how to be a host ?

Thanked by 1Peroni
  • PeroniPeroni Member

@Mun said:
    @jarland would it be possible to petition for people to have there tag removed if they clearly don't have a clue how to be a host ?

I'm all for that petition.