Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows phone is dead, long live windows phone
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Windows phone is dead, long live windows phone

smansman Member
edited May 2016 in General

Can anyone translate the corporate double speak from Microsoft. They laid off almost 2000 people. Most from the windows phone division. They said they are no longer doing anything with consumer smartphones and sold that business off to some chinese manufacturer....BUT....windows phone is not dead.

They lost at least 11 billion from this whole Nokia fiasco so clearly they need to cut their losses. Their share of the softphone market is almost nothing and shrinking. Knowing their history, they never ever say a product line is dead. They just let the product slowly fade away. Is this what is happening?

I know they made some statements about business/enterprise vs consumer but that just muddies the water. Maybe that's the whole point.

Comments

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Just think, all those Windows phones sitting unsold in a BASEMENT somewhere...

• TionTion Member

If you dont believe in your own product how do you expect to convince others?
    They promised so much but simply couldnt deliver.
    Win 10 update for all 8.1 phones? Nope.
    Windows Phone being able to use Android apps? Nope.
    And there are many more broken promises.
    Microsoft never knew what direction they want to take so they burned through lots of money and destroyed a good mobile OS.

• fitvpnfitvpn Member

sman said: Nokia fiasco

MS helps Nokia to do that quickly by kill Symbian first.

Thanked by 1DewlanceVPS
  • shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Am I the one person who actually liked Windows Phone? :'(

• BunnySpeedBunnySpeed Member, Host Rep

@shovenose said:
    Am I the one person who actually liked Windows Phone? :'(

I loved windows phone and even more I loved developing for it, but lately it has become incredibly buggy and extremely frustrating. Things just crash or never really work. It started out as a super smooth bug free experience but lately it's been horrible. They can't even get the keyboard sorted out. Mine has been switching E with W 70% of the time.... I still use it, but it's just a really bad experience overall.

• jhjh Member
    edited May 2016

sman said: Can anyone translate the corporate double speak from Microsoft.

My understanding is that:

1. they are going to stop manufacturing hardware

2. they are going to focus on software more on business users

In my view, both of these are good moves, but it's also sad to see them scale back the mobile operations. I recently traded by iPhone 6 for a Lumia 950, because I wanted something that enabled me to get more work done on the move. Although I'm not a big fan of Windows on desktops or servers, the productivity tools on the 950 are unmatched on iPhone/Android.

All of the reviews I saw of the 950 before buying (about 3 weeks ago) said it was great but buggy. Taking all of the annoyances together (bugs and deliberate annoyances), I think the 950 is better.

• BunnySpeedBunnySpeed Member, Host Rep

@jh said:

All of the reviews I saw of the 950 before buying (about 3 weeks ago) said it was great but buggy. Taking all of the annoyances together (bugs and deliberate annoyances), I think the 950 is better.

Lack of apps aside, if WP received a few tiny features and fixed all the bugs it would be amazing, but unfortunately there's more and more of them instead. I guess the layoff won't exactly help with this problem either.

• I loved Windows Phone in the early days, I used to have Windows Phone 7. I made the mistake of buying just before Windows Phone 8 came out, and the fact that my device became behind the latest so soon made me lose my faith in them. It was a really nice OS though, I thought - very usable and pretty.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I've seen/played with Windows Phone and semi-liked it. I like the active tiles as opposed to the iOS "sea of icons" Windows 3.1 look.

However, it was way too late.

I got a free Windows phone at some industry door prize thing. I'd planned to use it as an ipod replacement but found syncing (I had Win 8 at the time) to be buggy, and it was the usual unreliable Microsoft experience with an ugly UI.

Thanked by 2netomx Pwner
  • NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

I owned a Windows Phone 8.

It was not comparable to iOS, the app ecosystem was a big issue and some of the bundled software was... lacking to say at least.

• ehabehab Member
    edited May 2016

windows is windows where ever you put it on... lets not forget the Nokia hardware is the gem and will live with same or different name.

btw, my HTC diamond 2 windows 6.5 still works, i'll keep it as a internet sharing backup/testing

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

Android haters will go back to iOS. ;)

Thanked by 1doghouch
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@DewlanceVPS said:
    Android haters will go back to iOS. ;)

I hated Android until I got a Nexus 6P and now I love Android.

• Those years I totally cannot understand why people prefer Nokia 720 than 820. Their price was once similar, and 820 was much more powerful than 720.

(Lumia 720 only has 512 MB RAM, so its WP is a lite version...)

• Never worked with such a dump phone like windows phone. Nothing you would like to do is working (ex. camera live streaming)

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited May 2016

Well, my friend has a S6 with Android. If you compare the processing power on the monstrosity and my iPhone 6, it is WAAAAY underpowered.

At least iOS is optimized and doesn't have random choppiness like Android (to clarify: iOS comes without carrier apps, and is pre-optimized rather than being reliant on the manufacturer). All hail Steve before his company was wrecked by Tim Co*k (the * = c) :(

Thanked by 1ManofServer
  • msg7086msg7086 Member

Have a 920 running Windows 10. A bit buggy but I still love it. Still waiting for their GA though.

• @doghouch said:
    Well, my friend has a S6 with Android. If you compare the processing power on the monstrosity and my iPhone 6, it is WAAAAY underpowered.

At least iOS is optimized and doesn't have random choppiness like Android. All hail Steve before his company was wrecked by Tim Co*k (the * = c) :(

+1

Despite the fact that my tablet has 2GB RAM, and does not even have high CPU usage, the lag and occasional unresponsiveness is quite irritating. It might be a cheaper tablet, but I don't feel that it needs to be this unreliable.

• tommytommy Member

I owned windows 8, I hate that time when update software must using Zune.

rip, windows phone.

• smansman Member
    edited May 2016

@doghouch said:

At least iOS is optimized and doesn't have random choppiness like Android. All hail Steve before his company was wrecked by Tim Co*k (the * = c) :(

Huh?

Did you ever consider that it might have been the phone? Or maybe a setting such as aggressive power saving? You realize Android is not a phone rright? There is more than one phone that runs it. Unlike iPhone...which is iPhone. It's apples and oranges.

I can make my rooted Android run choppy by cranking up CPU throttling to the max setting. The trade off is that my battery lasts for days. Normally I set it to conservative where it is more actively managed and no choppyness. You can do things like this on Android if you want. Or not.

• @sman said:

@doghouch said:

Huh?

Did you ever consider that it might have been the phone? Or maybe a setting such as aggressive power saving? You realize Android is not a phone rright? There is more than one phone that runs it. Unlike iPhone...which is iPhone. It's apples and oranges.

I can make my rooted Android run choppy by cranking up CPU throttling to the max setting. The trade off is that my battery lasts for days. Normally I set it to conservative where it it more actively managed and no choppyness. You can do things like this on Android if you want. Or not.

Well, it's the carrier + manufacturer who keep ruining Android. Take Samsung, they add their useless Knox crap, making my old S3/S4 impossible to root :/

• flopvflopv Member

I own Windows Phone and I am happy Microsoft Customer.

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • Mark_RMark_R Member

im still happy with my nokia lumia 710. while it has some small bugs its still a very reliable phone and makes life easier.

i'll definitly be getting a Microsoft Lumia 950 whenever this one breaks.

• I was on Microsoft private conference last week for new updates which coming this summer which are just amazing, Looking forward to it included big Xbox Update this summer.

So far using IOS, Windows, Android all these OS are great and all have something unique I like.

I will need test the windows phone desktop connection that seems awesome to have your desktop always with you. so you can connect to monitor and keyboard and mouse.

Thanked by 1doghouch