Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Connectivity problem from China to OVH
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Connectivity problem from China to OVH

jibon57jibon57 Member

Hello,

I have a dedicated server in OVH RBX datacenter. I have hosted 2 sites with 5 BigBlueButton server on it. I have users from China. They are complaining about connectivity problem. They are facing very hard time for joining classes in BBB. What can I do? Should I hire another server in China & setup NFS for sharing resources? Please give me your opinion to resolve my problem.

Thanks
Jibon

Comments

• joerijoeri Member, Host Rep, LIR

Ask them to make a traceroute or mtr at the moment that the have the problem.

Thanked by 1jibon57
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

You would be better off getting a server in Los Angeles or Singapore.

Thanked by 1jibon57
  • jibon57jibon57 Member

@EVM_Mike said:
    You would be better off getting a server in Los Angeles or Singapore.

Do you know about any good hosting company in China?

• rds100rds100 Member

Could the GFW be blocking your sites?

• jibon57jibon57 Member

@rds100 said:
    Could the GFW be blocking your sites?

I don't think so. They can access the server but facing low performance. But from our end (US, France, Bangladesh) we aren't facing any problem.

• awvnxawvnx Member
    edited May 2016

Don't some routes between Asia (especially China) and Europe go through the USA due to high costs of the land routes? Post a traceroute to something like git.oschina.net and see where it goes.

You can try to use a cheap VPS with good China connectivity as a proxy for those users. I recommend buyvm and I've used them for this purpose. Their connection to mainland China through he.net has consistently low ping which I've been monitoring (http://i.imgur.com/UHoDFwn.png check the red and green lines). There's also Crowncloud (Quadranet). However, this can be difficult to set up right, you'll need some DNS geolocation or anycast shenanigans which probably isn't worth the setup effort if you're doing it for clients Or get your Chinese users on a specific subdomain.

My suggestion is to just put those sites on the free cloudflare CDN. They'll serve up your page from Tokyo or Hong Kong or something for Chinese visitors.

You cannot host a website in mainland China without getting an ICP number and there's lots of complications there. If you want to serve China, then you definitely need a server either in Hong Kong or LA, and you need a provider that cares about routing around congestion in the links to China. Note that you still need to get through the GFW even if you're hosting in Hong Kong, and hosting there is a lot more expensive.

Thanked by 2jibon57 SpeedBus
  • KosovoKosovo Member

(Internet users in China.)

• jibon57jibon57 Member

@awvnx said:

Don't some routes between Asia (especially China) and Europe go through the USA due to high costs of the land routes? Post a traceroute to something like git.oschina.net and see where it goes.

Thanks for your detail suggestion. I have used Cloudflare for our website but can't be use for BBB server. I will buy one small VPS & install BBB on that server. For storing recording & other data I will use NFS for synchronising. I have found another provider here: https://lowendbox.com/blog/alpharacks-ddos-protected-linux-windows-vps-starting-9-99year-los-angeles-usa/?replytocom=607773#comment-607707. They have good ping report from China. What do you think?

• awvnxawvnx Member

If they're on Quadranet's network Asia IP it'll probably be good. I actually recently migrated my dedicated server to them for better connectivity to China. I've noticed that their Asia optimized IPs do occasionally work better than the main IPs, but mainly because something goes wrong with the main IP's route, not because the Asia IP is inherently superior all the time.

Thanked by 1jibon57
  • WeikangWeikang Member

China has lots of hosting companies but they are expensive. I recommand you order servers in the west coast of USA such as Los Angles.
    They also have good connection to China.

Thanked by 1jibon57
  • tommytommy Member

Ask for refund!

• Highly suggest you install serverspeeder. That can improve speed to China.

But China Unicom to OVH France - since it routes USA, the latency can never be low.

• WeikangWeikang Member

@XIAOSpider97 said:
    Highly suggest you install serverspeeder. That can improve speed to China.

But China Unicom to OVH France - since it routes USA, the latency can never be low.

Serverspeeder is very good, but they seem no longer accepting new users.

• If you are hosting a website in China, you will need to register your details with the government. For servers, try aliyun, they are pretty big in China, price is fair.

• Give OVH BHS a try, its slightly better but still crap.

• fitvpnfitvpn Member

Everyone talking about direct routes from US West coast to China, guess all traffic from Europe routed to this way trough US :)

• WeikangWeikang Member

@fitvpn said:
    Everyone talking about direct routes from US West coast to China, guess all traffic from Europe routed to this way trough US :)

This is not true.

• @Weikang said:
    Serverspeeder is very good, but they seem no longer accepting new users.

Search on GitHub and you can find many cracked serverspeeder pack available...

• msg7086msg7086 Member

@fitvpn said:

Not true for Russia, where you might get some (super expensive) connectivity through the Russia-China border.

• @jibon57 said:
    Hello,

I have a dedicated server in OVH RBX datacenter. I have hosted 2 sites with 5 BigBlueButton server on it. I have users from China. They are complaining about connectivity problem. They are facing very hard time for joining classes in BBB. What can I do? Should I hire another server in China & setup NFS for sharing resources? Please give me your opinion to resolve my problem.

Thanks
    Jibon

Dear Jibin,

Get a dedicated server or vps in locations like Hong Kong or Singapore with direct route to China. Youll be able to get latency below 100ms.

• fitvpnfitvpn Member

Weikang said: This is not true.

Sarcasm

msg7086 said: where you might get some (super expensive) connectivity through the Russia-China border.

Expensive for Russia or for China? :)

• @fitvpn said:

For China Unicom, over 90% go through USA. The latency can never be low.

China Telecom and China Mobile do have PoPs in London and Frankfurt, connected to many ISPs in Europe, can deliver <200 latency.

• deployvmdeployvm Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2016

fitvpn said: Expensive for Russia or for China? :)

>

Rostelecom or Transtelecom charge expensive rates ;)

• How about using CloudFlare, because it would tunnel connection to skip some problems on connections between China and OVH?

• You need a geo dns to identify those visitors from China and redirect them to a reverse proxy.
    Ensure the reverse proxy has good connectivity with China and your OVH server.
    (Some of the choices might be: CeraNetwork's CN2(LA), Aliyun CN2 SG, Aliyun CN2 HK, GCE, Azure)
    ( Last time someone consulted me a similar question (most of his customers are from China), so the final solution was to use Aliyun Beijing - Aliyun France - OVH. )

CDN might be another option, personally I feel Google CDN+loadbalancer has the best performance. However, you have to use GCE before using Google CDN.
    KeyCDN also has an above average performance but it seems there are some problems with their overall system.

• CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep

Thanks for the thread necro

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • One posting in pure chinese deleted. User received a warning.