Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are people here using for tier 1 support?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What are people here using for tier 1 support?

smansman Member
edited May 2016 in General

I am pretty sure I don't want to outsource. What is the best way to go about finding good people? Preferrably people I can just pay a flat rate or per ticket or something. I just want to make it as simple as possible.

What are some of the best countries? I am assuming India and Philippines are good. Price is definitely a factor. After hours North American times. Must know Linux....linux...and linux. In that order. Also fluent english.

Comments

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

So you don't want to outsource and you don't want to hire properly to do it in-house.

It means you are left with yourself only.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Kidnap some people and force them to work out of your BASEMENT.

Yeah, I went there.

• smansman Member
    edited May 2016

@Clouvider said:
    So you don't want to outsource and you don't want to hire properly to do it in-house.

That would be the follow up question. Perhaps at first I would pay them as a contractor and if they work out make them an employee.

Finding the right people is the first problem.

Thanked by 1TheKiller
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2016

@sman said:

@Clouvider said:

That is my question. Perhaps at first I would want to pay them as a contractor and if they work out make them an employee.

Maybe it's because you're not willing to pay?

Why would someone knowledgeable promise you any sort of availability to you, if you want to pay per ticket ? They can easily get a guaranteed job with guaranteed pay, likely much higher then you're prepared to offer. Put yourself in the shoes of the potential 'employee'

You can hire an outsourcing company and pay them per ticket, but it's a completely different story.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @Nekki said:

Yeah, I went there.

PublicPickups?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@sman said:

That is definitely the primary issue. Certainly there are appropriate venues where you can pay more or simply pay less and know that you're not getting quality.

I would suggest watching for individuals on LET who think like you and striking up a conversation. Many people here are hungry for experience, because getting used to doing this work has a significant value alone.

Take a look at @Ishaq, I bet BlueVM paid him pennies and I'd hire him because of the experience he gained. He worked his tail off to support massively oversold servers.

Look at me, I never made a dime from catalyst and it jump started my career.

So I do think someone fits the bill here, they may not be too hard to find.

Thanked by 3Ishaq raindog308 cassa
  • IshaqIshaq Member

Clouvider said: Put yourself in the hoes of the potential 'employee'

Nice. Very professional :P

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • cassacassa Member
    edited May 2016

We use ourself. IMHO support is the best if you have a small team with people that know each other.

If you're low on budget, try to do some job postings and say that it will be a remote job.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

First warning :-0

• bashedbashed Member

i have some free time and could earn me some extra $ if anyone need some support help :P

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited May 2016

@Nekki said:

Yeah, I went there.

What if they reply to a ticket saying "SOS SOMEONE KIDNAPPED ME AND IS FORCING ME TO WORK AS A SUPPORT AGENT!!! HELPPP MY PHONE AND EMAIL IS (INSERT SOS EMAIL AND NUMBER HERE)!! PLEASE GIVE MERCY"?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

doghouch said: What if they reply to a ticket saying "SOS SOMEONE KIDNAPPED ME AND IS FORCING ME TO WORK AS A SUPPORT AGENT!!! HELPPP MY PHONE AND EMAIL IS < INSERT SOS EMAIL NUMBER HERE >!!!! PLEASE GIVE MERCY"?

Then I'd bump the ticket and complain on LET over the delay.

Thanked by 1cassa
  • doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited May 2016

@bashed said:
    i have some free time and could earn me some extra $ if anyone need some support help :P

I hope that you can reply to tickets with proper English :o

Thanked by 1cassa
  • smansman Member
    edited May 2016

Everything we do is remote so physical location is not important.

• bashedbashed Member

yes my english is terrible :)

• NekkiNekki Veteran

TheKiller said: PublicPickups?

That sounds awesome.