Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS virtualization question
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS virtualization question

drdrakedrdrake Member

Hello,

I want to buy a few dedicated servers to setup many VPS (first for my friends) just to learn.
I am new to virtualization and I was wondering if someone can answer a few questions.

1) Where can I buy the cheapest dedicated servers? (I think OVH gives free IP-s?)

2) Virtualizator vs SolusVM?

3) How are IP-s assigned to each VPS?

4) Any advices before I start?

Thank you.

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

1.) There's many, OVH IPs are currently $3 one-time fee. But you can still find low end servers with monthly fees that'll still be cheaper in the end.
    2.) If you're doing it "just to learn" like you said then either one. What is your reason for trying to learn? Which one do you think your knowledge will be better for long term?
    3.) It depends on the type of virtualization. KVM is straightforward, just like a normal interface on a dedicated server. You need to setup bridging, etc., but this is what Google is for :-).. OpenVZ is much easier to setup, a 12 year old could do it (just look around!)

• MadMad Member
    1. Location? Specifications? Budget?

2. Both of them are good, I personally prefer SolusVM.

3. You can do it easily via SolusVM by adding and assigning each block to the node.

4. Be familiar with Linux before going in production.

• RIYADRIYAD Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2016

1) Where can I buy the cheapest dedicated servers? (I think OVH gives free IP-s?)

Ovh charges you $3/IP (one time) . Soyoustart.com might help , cheap servers .

I would suggest Virtualizor (KVM)

One IP is enough for one VPS , but you can also use 1IP and do NAT

As other people had mentioned above + do not sell VPS after 1week :P

• budi1413budi1413 Member
    edited May 2016
    2. Proxmox VE
  • drdrakedrdrake Member

@EVM_Mike said:
    1.) There's many, OVH IPs are currently $3 one-time fee. But you can still find low end servers with monthly fees that'll still be cheaper in the end.
    2.) If you're doing it "just to learn" like you said then either one. What is your reason for trying to learn? Which one do you think your knowledge will be better for long term?
    3.) It depends on the type of virtualization. KVM is straightforward, just like a normal interface on a dedicated server. You need to setup bridging, etc., but this is what Google is for :-).. OpenVZ is much easier to setup, a 12 year old could do it (just look around!)

I am going to learn first because i might start selling them.

I guess i am going to use openvz first. Solusvm is better for openvz?

• drdrakedrdrake Member

@RIYAD said:

Ovh charges you $3/IP (one time) . Soyoustart.com might help , cheap servers .

I would suggest Virtualizor (KVM)

One IP is enough for one VPS , but you can also use 1IP and do NAT

As other people had mentioned above + do not sell VPS after 1week :P

Thanks! For the third question, i was refering to ip given to VPS-s. So if i create 5 VPS-s, i need 5 IP-s right? How do i distribute them?

• drdrakedrdrake Member

@budi1413 said:

2. Proxmox VE

Proxmox is great i know but it's more created for admins. I want to automate stuff and i might go with virtualizator or solusvm.

• RIYADRIYAD Member, Patron Provider

Arjon said: Thanks! For the third question, i was refering to ip given to VPS-s. So if i create 5 VPS-s, i need 5 IP-s right? How do i distribute them?

Normally if you are going with OVH , then simply order 5IP's and you should have the Gateway and netmask , after that you can configure the IP's on your favorite panel/Virtualization , and deploy VPS , give each VPS an IP

• edanedan Member
    edited May 2016

Try WebVirtMgr. Its great, I prefer this compared to Proxmox VE.