Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What better location for a VPS (for VPN), accessible from china
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What better location for a VPS (for VPN), accessible from china

WebiniumWebinium Member

Hello,

I'll go three months in China.

I would like to rent a VPS to install OpenVPN.

You advised me to rent VPS what country o city?

You advise me to rent with which company?

Comments

• MadMad Member
    edited May 2016

You will mainly find Hong Kong VPSs, it's difficult to get other China cities or thye would be definetely more expensive.

You can check out HostUS for Hong Kong VPSs.

Note: They do not allow public Proxies/VPNs.

• KosovoKosovo Member
    edited May 2016

Best locations: North Korea.

Best provider: STAR JOINT VENTURE CO., LTD.

• @andreamada said:
    You will mainly find Hong Kong VPSs, it's difficult to get other China cities or thye would be definetely more expensive.

A vps in the USA, it is not good?

• MadMad Member

@Webinium said:

@andreamada said:

A vps in the USA, it is not good?

Yes, Los Angeles or Seattle would be the best ones, they are usually optimized for Asia.

• Don't bother, it won't work in China.

• @TheOnlyDK said:
    Don't bother, it won't work in China.

I'm already gone in China, and it works very well.

I had a VPS with Ramnode, the netherlands.

In Europe it was quick, in China it was too slow.

• fitvpnfitvpn Member

andreamada said: Los Angeles or Seattle would be the best ones, they are usually optimized for Asia.

This is other side of Earth, isn't? Don't bother with marketing tricks

• belinikbelinik Member
    edited May 2016

it really depends where you are staying, in the south go for Hong Kong, in the north you may want to look into south korea.

TBH nowadays I prefer setting up an RDP and most of the time it works much better then whatever VPN flavor is popular that month. obviously if you play games then you are pretty much stuck.

• TheOnlyDKTheOnlyDK Member
    edited May 2016

@Webinium said:
    I'm already gone in China, and it works very well.

I had a VPS with Ramnode, the netherlands.

In Europe it was quick, in China it was too slow.

If you say so. When I was in China, it didn't work, not sure how you got past the GFW.

Just get a server from hostus, choose LA, you should be fine. Don't buy HK VPS, most of the time the latency will be worse than LA as it goes through LA then back to HK.

My VPS is from VirtWire (budgetvz with a dedicated IP), from Beijing I get 135ms +-, from Shenyang I get 150ms +-.

• I will be in Shanghai

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

fitvpn said: This is other side of Earth, isn't? Don't bother with marketing tricks

It is not marketing tricks when you peer with China Telecom and China Unicom as Quadranet does. But if you are in a very rural area of China, you may get poor connections. I've found clients in Shanghai get the best connection, and other large cities do good as well.

• fitvpnfitvpn Member

miTgiB said: It is not marketing tricks when you peer with China Telecom and China Unicom as Quadranet does

Ah yes, what ping you get from USA in China?

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@andreamada said:
    Yes, Los Angeles or Seattle would be the best ones, they are usually optimized for Asia.

Los Angeles or Seattle ISPs are anything but "optimized" for Asia. And given the diversity in the region, saying just "Asia" is useless.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • belinikbelinik Member
    edited May 2016

If you are willing to spend a little more go for both, I havn't been in Shanghai for a long time but when I was there I was alternating tokyo and south korea vps... Perhaps @allwoo can comment on this.

TheOnlyDK said: Don't buy HK VPS, most of the time the latency will be worse than LA as it goes through LA then back to HK.

that's because you are not doing your research correctly. Make sure you look for vps that has direct path to your ISP... I used to live in shenzhen and I have under 15 MS most of the time(to my hk vps)...

• @belinik said:

TheOnlyDK said: Don't buy HK VPS, most of the time the latency will be worse than LA as it goes through LA then back to HK.

that's because you are not doing your research correctly. Make sure you look for vps that has direct path to your ISP... I used to live in shenzhen and I have under 15 MS most of the time(to my hk vps)...

In my past experience, with direct China connection, Shenzhen is about 10ms, but that costs about 50X what I pay in LA. If you know any cheaper ones, let me know, would be interested to get some for a project.

• smansman Member
    edited May 2016

I think that optimized for Asia stuff they advertise in LA is a bunch of nonsense. Just about everything in LA is optimized for Asia just due to geography. It's still going to be at least 200-300ms no matter what. A few more ms give or take is not going to make a dent.

• fitvpnfitvpn Member
    edited May 2016

TheOnlyDK said: In my past experience, with direct China connection, Shenzhen is about 10ms

10ms From LA to Shenzhen? Better to show some proof Guess you can't get it from LA to San Jose

@sman said:
    I think that optimized for Asia stuff they advertise in LA is a bunch of nonsense. Just about everything in LA is optimized for Asia just due to geography. It's still going to be at least 200-300ms no matter what. A few more ms give or take is not going to make a dent.

Those "optimized" blends just use the least congested path at the time, they pull whatever routes are congested from the mix and use the ones with less latency or better bandwidth.

It can be cheap and a bit helpful, but certainly not a great solution.

edited May 2016

@fitvpn said:

TheOnlyDK said: In my past experience, with direct China connection, Shenzhen is about 10ms

10ms From LA to Shenzhen? Better to show some proof Guess you can't get it from LA to San Jose

If you read the quote, where he was referring to HK, I obviously meant HK. I even said it costs 50X than LA, so anyone who can read won't be quoting half what I said and try to be mr.imsosmart.

• MadMad Member

@Nyr said:

@andreamada said:

Los Angeles or Seattle ISPs are anything but "optimized" for Asia. And given the diversity in the region, saying just "Asia" is useless.

That's obvious, this is why it should be tested (Test IP and file) according to where he needs to focus on (region, city).

As far as I remember QuadraNet has a low latency and fast speeds to China and Taiwan.

• salakissalakis Member

For my personal use I actually gave LowEndSpirit (Hong Kong, Singapore, Tokyo) boxes a shot + Virmach (Los Angeles Colocrossing) a shot.

All the places I stayed at were on China Unicom.
    Obviously the best one would be the Tokyo LES box, but the IP is blocked by GFW - oddly enough it worked from China Unicom Beijing (ping around 70ms).
    The Singapore LES box was the one I used the most, worked pretty okay with ping around 200ms in Hohhot, Inner Mongolia and stable 111ms from Shanghai.
    In Shenyang, Liaoning Province I went with Los Angeles, ping was also about 200ms.

If you are on China Mobile then the Hong Kong box would be the best.

Keep in mind that those are NAT VPS (except for the one in Los Angeles), so the IPs may get banned by GFW soon, but considering the cost it's not that much of a risk.

My solution is FAR from optimal, but I was able to access Google and Facebook with this at all times with a total budget of about 15 USD per year.

I should also mention that I used Shadowsocks at all times (shadowsocks-libev on the server side). The Android app is a bliss and works perfectly. The apps for Windows and Mac are decent as well. I guess that Shadowsocks is pretty much the best way right now, it still gives you the choice between tunneling all websites or tunneling only GFW-blocked websites.

andreamada said: As far as I remember QuadraNet has a low latency and fast speeds to China

If by low latency you mean 200+ ms... then yeah.

• belinikbelinik Member

TheOnlyDK said: In my past experience, with direct China connection, Shenzhen is about 10ms, but that costs about 50X what I pay in LA. If you know any cheaper ones, let me know, would be interested to get some for a project.

yes it is much more expensive, but try LA, SJ, Vancouver, Sea connection in peak hour and you will know why you need asia connections as it is so overload you cannot use it for any latency sensitive application. Or when you need high throughput. I used to have around 10 vps in different location and different path, many of them claims it's 'asia optimized'. Most of them failed to deliver one way or another, and the little unknown host will outperform them(or ones in HK... which does not cost 50X of a USA vps....

if your theory is correct then why would one need to have CDN, site in different part of the world?

edited May 2016

@salakis said:
    I should also mention that I used Shadowsocks at all times (shadowsocks-libev on the server side). The Android app is a bliss and works perfectly. The apps for Windows and Mac are decent as well. I guess that Shadowsocks is pretty much the best way right now, it still gives you the choice between tunneling all websites or tunneling only GFW-blocked websites.

There are so many of them, got lost half way. Which client did you use? Got a link?

• salakissalakis Member

@Nyr said:

Well, to be fair, having a somewhat stable latency of 200ms without considerable packet loss is already a bliss in China unless you have bags of money to burn.

• salakissalakis Member

@TheOnlyDK said:
    There are so many of them, got lost half way. Which client did you use? Got a link?

shadowsocks-win on Windows and ShadowsocksX on Mac.

Both have the option to download a GFWList / PAC for major blocked websites. After that just select "Auto Proxy Mode" and you should be fine.

Thanked by 1TheOnlyDK
    edited May 2016

salakis said: Well, to be fair, having a somewhat stable latency of 200ms without considerable packet loss is already a bliss in China unless you have bags of money to burn.

Bags of money? The amount of disinformation on this thread is astounding.

• Vultr costs $5/month and if you are that poor, the VM can be shut down the VM at night.
    • OneAsiaHost is dirt cheap and has a nice blend for China.
    • SoftLayer resellers (HostUS/HostHatch) COULD be acceptable for now, probably not in the future.
    • EDIS could be fine too, haven't tested.

The first two options will be sub-100 miliseconds with decent speeds. The others, I'm not sure. I'm sure there are more alternatives, but I don't really care much about the Chinese market, sorry.

Some US providers are very interested in selling their crap to the Chinese market and make great marketing efforts, but that doesn't make them good options at all.

Thanked by 1salakis
  • estnocestnoc Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2016

Philippine you may search aswell. Avg. ping 60-80ms.

• @Nyr said:

• Vultr costs $5/month and if you are that poor, the VM can be shut down the VM at night.
    • SoftLayer resellers (HostUS/HostHatch) COULD be acceptable for now, probably not in the future.

Softlayer is getting worse, used to be able to get sub 100ms ping to my test IP in Beijing, now it's 350ms +, going through US.

Vultr is a hit or miss, when I was in China, the ping to Vultr was pretty bad, around 180ms.

OAH is OOS for their 128MB plan, the 256MB plan is $7 a month. Paying $5-6 more for 50ms less ping compared to LA, doesn't seems to worth it for me.

EDIS is about 230ms ping to my test IP

My LA box is 140ms, $12 a year

After all, it all depends on if you really need that 50ms less latency, for me if there are no packet loss, then it's all fine.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • zxbzxb Member

@Nyr said:

salakis said: Well, to be fair, having a somewhat stable latency of 200ms without considerable packet loss is already a bliss in China unless you have bags of money to burn.

The first two options will be sub-100 miliseconds with decent speeds. The others, I'm not sure. I'm sure there are more alternatives, but I don't really care much about the Chinese market, sorry.

Some US providers are very interested in selling their crap to the Chinese market and make great marketing efforts, but that doesn't make them good options at all.

I think it's you who are uninformed.

First the outlet is very saturated, especially in certain places. I remember months ago Shanghai Telecom users reporting needing 2 minutes to open amazon.com, and an average oversea download speed of ~100kb.

Then there's the GFW which causes random latency and packet losses. Even if the connection is absolutely normal, say a HTTPS website, if it's too fast or there are too many connections you will be disrupted.

To ensure a really stable connection you'll have to find a route that doesnt pass through the GFW, which, as the original poster said, does cost bags of money.

You really have no idea how shitty network is in this place. Welcome to China.