Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

64MB RAM not enough for Centos7/64b?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

64MB RAM not enough for Centos7/64b?

JarryJarry Member

I got one VPS with 64MB RAM and Centos7 installed, but can not update it. "yum" always aborts with some crazy errors like:

BDB2053 Freeing read locks for locker 0x13: 18486/140095742474048
Killed

or:

error: rpmdb: BDB0113 Thread/process 19151/140211727701824 failed: BDB1507 Thread died in Berkeley DB library

Support told me 64MB is not enough for "yum" to run. Is it true? How much RAM is then necessary? 128MB? Or even more? I'd swear I was running Centos on 32MB once in the past, and did not have this problem...

Comments

• @Jarry said:
    I'd swear I was running Centos on 32MB once in the past, and did not have this problem...

Transportation has stopped using charriots and slaves since that time.

Thanked by 2Damian PandaRain
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Jarry said: I'd swear I was running Centos on 32MB once in the past, and did not have this problem...

Maybe CentOS 5 or 6...but CentOS 7?

Debian really is better for very low memory.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@raindog308 said:
    Debian really is better for very low memory.

This. Don't deploy CentOS on anything sub-512MB.

• kingpinkingpin Member

Unless you're on KVM/Xen/VMware you cannot do much about it. Yum seems to consume lots of RAM compared to other package managers.

If you're on on KVM though, you might give zram a shot (success story here, and my own experience proves it's worth trying).

• MadMad Member
    edited May 2016

Take a look here, you will find the minimum requirements for each distribution:

https://access.redhat.com/articles/rhel-limits

• Disable yum's fastestmirror plugin and you can get yum to just about run on 64mb. Have you tried asking your host for a temporary RAM/SWAP increase so you can install stuff?

Thanked by 1KuJoe
  • Debian 6 or 7 32bit Minimal and will work like a harm :)

• As @linuxthefish mentioned - you need to turn off yum plugins and then it may just just be enough. That being said I don't like running CentOS on anything with less 256MB as its just a lot more hungry than Debian.

GalaxyHostPlus said: Debian 6 or 7 32bit Minimal and will work like a harm :)

Uh? Debian 7 is now on LTS only and 6 is abandoned already, no one should use them for new installs.

Debian 8 x86 will run fine with 64MB. arm64 will have some issues with this little amount of RAM.

• @Nyr said:

GalaxyHostPlus said: Debian 6 or 7 32bit Minimal and will work like a harm :)

Uh? Debian 7 is now on LTS only and 6 is abandoned already, no one should use them for new installs.

Debian 8 x86 will run fine with 64MB. arm64 will have some issues with this little amount of RAM.

Correct forgot about Debian 8 which is running on my home backup server pretty well.

However people still prefer Debian 6 probably because they used to it.

GalaxyHostPlus said: However people still prefer Debian 6 probably because they used to it.

That's no excuse to use an unmaintained system. Is not like Debian has changed a lot from 6 to 8, other than systemd and updated packages.

• KosovoKosovo Member

That won't do.

@Nyr said:
    That's no excuse to use an unmaintained system. Is not like Debian has changed a lot from 6 to 8, other than systemd

That's enough :)

• msg7086msg7086 Member

@raindog308 said:

That's enough :)

But that's optional. You can replace it with sysvinit by just one command.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • kaflokaflo Member

At least 1024 MB RAM is required to install and use CentOS-7

source: https://wiki.centos.org/Manuals/ReleaseNotes/CentOS7#head-281c090cc4fbc6bb5c7d4cd82a266fce807eee7c

• @Nyr said:

What's wrong with Debian 7? Isn't LTS still getting security updates, from the community team, but still getting stuff updated, no?

@TheOnlyDK said:

@Nyr said:

What's wrong with Debian 7? Isn't LTS still getting security updates, from the community team, but still getting stuff updated, no?

Nothing wrong in keeping a Debian 7 install a bit longer with LTS, but no one should be deploying new ones now.

Also the LTS team has some limitations and doesn't support every package, so you could have some unsupported vulnerable software, there is a tool to check for that.

Thanked by 1TheOnlyDK

kaflo said: At least 1024 MB RAM is required to install and use CentOS-7

Not surprised. RHEL is aimed at the enterprise market, not the low end VPS market. In my day job, a 4GB VM is considered "small" and that's not atypical of big organizations with large farms...that's who RHEL targets.

Debian is more universal. Nothing wrong with CentOS of course, just that you have to understand they're not testing on 64MB or even interested.

• ehabehab Member
    edited May 2016

@Nyr said:

mayb 256MB, this is what get from a minimum centos NAT
    ----------- total used free shared buff/cache available Mem: 256M 6.2M 198M 2.6M 51M 192M Swap: 0B 0B 0B

@ehab said:

@Nyr said:

mayb 256MB, this is what get from a minimum centos NAT
    total used free shared buff/cache available Mem: 256M 6.2M 198M 2.6M 51M 192M Swap: 0B 0B 0B

I can boot CentOS with 64MB very likely. That doesn't mean that it'll run properly.

• ehabehab Member
    edited May 2016

i use the above box with rsync only, no idea how it performs with other apps..

since you have more experiences about vpns then do you think it can be added?
    anyway for me i also like to have space and be sure its more than enough.

@ehab said:
    since you have more experiences about vpns then do you think it can be added?

Yeah, OpenVPN is relatively lightweight, uses very little memory per connection.