Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Open VPN performance on this CPU.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Open VPN performance on this CPU.

krs360krs360 Member

Hi all,

I have a little box that I intended on using as my gateway which in turn serves the LAN with the VPN connection to Private Internet Access.

Because I've always run OpenVPN on higher-end hardware I've no idea of the expectations of performance on the Intel Celeron N3050 1.6GHz along with 2GB of ram and a smaller SSD drive. It's currently running pfSense with more or less the basic config, I notice that the CPU does support AES.

I'm hoping to be able to use the net top as the gateway rather than my old PC which is 1) much louder and 2) consumes much more power as it's left on 24/7.

I'm hoping someone has experience with this CPU or something very similar that might be able to tell me the best config to use for OpenVPN or their max throughput.

Many thanks :)

Comments

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

krs360 said: I'm hoping someone has experience with this CPU or something very similar that might be able to tell me the best config to use for OpenVPN or their max throughput.

I have no experience with this CPU (or any similar for that matter) but I do with OpenVPN.

Since you have AES-NI available, use AES-128-CBC as the cipher, instead of Blowfish which is likely the default.

Should be more than enough to do 100 mbps. If you need gigabit throughput, it's not going to happen within an encrypted data channel with that processor.

Thanked by 2MacPac ATHK
  • mik997mik997 Member

+1 Celeron N3050 should have no problem running OpenVPN encrypted tunnel with 100Mbps throughput - there's a discussion on the pfSense forum which might be of interest

https://forum.pfsense.org/index.php?topic=105238.0

• henkbhenkb Member
    edited May 2016

I have it running on my 150mbit home connection. It can handle it. Even with many torrent connections when downloading "new Linux iso's".

Also with pfsense (2.3)

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • bashedbashed Member

it should run fast. at least over 100mbit/s depending on provider. anyone know if openvpn is supporting multiple cores yet?

• henkbhenkb Member
    edited May 2016

I think openvpn does support multiple cores. Because at 150mbit the cpu usage sometimes reaches 39%, where 25% should he 1 core. At that time the machine is only doing openvpn, nothing else.

• krs360krs360 Member

Thanks for the replies.

@henkb I'm lucky to get 30mbit out of it with the default OpenVPN config, even if I change from CBC-Blowfish the speed is still the same.. hmm.

• henkbhenkb Member

@krs360 I have been playing around with the settings. But it is pretty basic :) I have enabled bsd crypto development engine. And aes-128-cbc. Auth digest Shaq. Enabled adaptive compression.

Maybe the servers in your country are more busy? In NL it is fine.

God luck