Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Zabbix?- How much RAM used / how many monitored hosts?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Zabbix?- How much RAM used / how many monitored hosts?

I'm starting a new job soon and as they make extensive use of Zabbix I wanted to spin it up and give it a go.

What I wanted to know is - if you're running Zabbix, how much RAM is being used and how many hosts are you monitoring?

Comments

• LiteServerLiteServer Member, Patron Provider

From previous experience I know that Zabbix will like a few GB memory when monitoring 1000 hosts. Not just memory, but decent I/O is just as important.

• I run it on a 512MB server and currently monitoring two linux/cPanel servers. Running it with NGINX and I haven't seen it hit over 100 MB.

Thanked by 2jeromeza coreflux
  • @ServerObsessed - Thanks, thats just the kind of feedback i'm looking for. Wanted to know how well it would work on a LEB. Going to give it a go on a 1GB or less RAM KVM.

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2016

We run it on a pretty large installation (1124.58 vps).

Ram has never been the issue, only disk IO. It took a bit of work on the parititioning and SSD cache to get it all to work well.

I run it on 4GB ram, 160GB SSD, 2TB NFS attached storage. Its an overkill, but it works well. I suspect its about 1/3 utilized.

Before the recent upgrade we ran it on a 2GB ram box, without issue.

• leapswitchleapswitch Patron Provider, Veteran

We are doing 600 nvps on a 4GB RAM DO VPS. When Disk I/O is low, mysql gets overwhelmed at times. It is important to reduce data storage time as per your actual requirements and disable unnecessary monitoring. Example, passwd checksum in a cPanel shared hosting server. It changes every day and zabbix keeps alerting you.

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2016

One tip now that I think about it.

If you want to deal with large databases: TokuDB + Partitioning.

Its what we do (and we sit at 750GB - 1TB pretty constantly).

With large databases you will need some degree of SSD (either storage, or a cache) in order to get your graphs rendered in ~1second (we got 10-30second graphs on plain disk, which is too slow for incident diagnosis)

• XuHiXuHi Member

Refer to the following for some info:

https://www.zabbix.com/documentation/3.2/manual/installation/requirements

There is a table with some examples inside there. I am guessing they go a little overkill on the documentation simply because they want your instance to run perfect.

I just did a test install the other day but I am not monitoring anything yet. Built with 3 GB RAM and 150 GB Disk with 3 CPU cores. Run perfectly fine but like I said I am not monitoring anything yet.