Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for Cloud (true auto failover) VPS and/or managed high-performance + spec hosting
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for Cloud (true auto failover) VPS and/or managed high-performance + spec hosting

djvdorpdjvdorp Member
edited February 2013 in Help

Hello,

to make a long story short, for one of my largest clients we're hosting a combination of a large user-base vBulletin 4 forum and a wordpress blog. It's hosted on a dedi from Hetzner now (EX4 or EX4S) but Hetzner is having a lot of messups lately (network maintenance and no replies about hardware failures, its always our own problem which makes sense cause its unmanaged but whatever). Anyways, we get a lot of traffic (should check it but as we have high-res images and no CDN (yet) it's not unlikely to use like half our 10tb bandwidth with hetzner). Anyways, due to changes in my personal situation I dont have much time for live migrations and headaches about uptime, which is why I'm looking for my other options now:

1) cloud (auto failover) vps with multiple locations? would still require me to setup the software stack but shouldnt have downtime, correct?
2) managed vps with high specs, multi locations maybe?
3) a custom high-spec (shared) webhosting plan with tuned performance and uptime guarantee

The pricing is way over LEB/LET prices, thats kinda obvious I think.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on this, and if you can, offers too. Currently we're hosted in the EU as we're living here and thats for speed, so I would prefer an EU location but US offers can be sent too. I really appreciate all help and feedback here and know there are a lot of competent folks/hosts left around here so I'm just counting on y'all!

Maybe @jhadley @GetKVM_Ash or some others I might have forgotten?

Kind regards,
Daniel

Comments

• If you can send me some numbers (RAM Usage, transfer average etc) i can take a look into a large VPS or dedicated server solution for you (Possibly SSD based).

• Rackspace for shared hosting?

And PhoenixNAP is lovely when you need cloud, because of their free hardware firewall

• @GetKVM_Ash said: If you can send me some numbers (RAM Usage, transfer average etc) i can take a look into a large VPS or dedicated server solution for you (Possibly SSD based).

As far as I remember his situation (was helping him out some months ago temporarily), his main issue was CPU load + some configuration tweaks...

• Due to your bandwidth needs. I would contact [email protected] about his 50tbcloud

• JacobJacob Member
    edited February 2013

You're looking for a VPS, or a Dedicated Server?

What RAID level do you have on your hetzner server?

• @Amfy said: As far as I remember his situation (was helping him out some months ago temporarily), his main issue was CPU load + some configuration tweaks...

I gathered as much, i think a lot of that will be caused by the disks however, which is why i suggested SSD.

We have a lot of options at hand @djvorp all within our racks, so you should have an idea of the quality of our network been a customer of ours.

• jhjh Member
    edited February 2013

If you could please PM me some specs I'll put something together for you with a fair SLA. I've successfully hosted some large websites on my infrastructure and can do IP failover load balancing etc., if needs be.

• If you get 2 Cloud VPS from 2 locations, IMO that should mostly get you covered.

stylexnetworks offers cloud vps with HA (as OnApp based VPS solutions do):
    http://www.stylexnetworks.com/features

And they only have Los Angeles location at the moment.

• I host my website on gigenet cloud, it is honestly fantastic. If you use the promocode 50TBFREE you get 50TB of BW for free.

• lumaluma Member
    edited February 2013

@hyao said: stylexnetworks offers cloud vps with HA (as OnApp based VPS solutions do):

They are terrible though.

Just last week my VPS was down for 27 hours because a firmware upgrade on the SAN failed. (No email went out that they would be upgrading the San either)

StyleXNetwork is good on paper but not in practice.

• I can't remember the company, but a couple years I used them for a bit. They utilize AppLogic and it's pretty rad. http://www.ca.com/us/cloud-platform.aspx Much better than OnAPP in my limited opinion.

I can even see their site in my mind, but can't for the life of me remember their name... I'll update you.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Rackspace Cloud or SparkNode

• @luma -- very similar event happened over at HostHatch about a month or two ago, and they are also using Onapp. I actually started a thread to get info about Onapp, as I was unsure of it's reliability in the wild.

• If you're in the EU: cloudvps.com (Xen) or versio.nl (KVM) for cloud solutions, and transip.eu (kvm, bladeservers) for VPS . TransIP and Versio's plans include more bandwidth and diskspace than CloudVPS but CloudVPS is a true high availability cloud solution. All 3 provider's solutions are very scalable (over 100GB of RAM, etc) and all are in the Netherlands.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@djvdorp said: cloud (auto failover) vps with multiple locations? would still require me to setup the software stack but shouldnt have downtime, correct?

Amazon AWS. Microsoft Azure.

I don't think any VPS provider is going to be able to offer you auto failover, if you mean what I think you mean. You mean if node1 fails, node2 detects the failure, VIPs move over, things keep working after perhaps a brief (seconds) outage. That requires some kind of clustering software and VIP movement.

Actually, I think BuyVM (@Francisco) was talking about offering VIP movement at one point.

Or perhaps some kind of inter-node replication with eventual consistency and load balancers (no, not round-robin DNS).

If that's really what you want/need, it's expensive.

• @luma said: Just last week my VPS was down for 27 hours because a firmware upgrade on the SAN failed.

AFAIK, OnApp groups commodity hardware into a centralized storage instead of SAN or NAS, and thus a cost advantage.

You can also use AWS EC2 instances and set up an auto scaling group so that at least 1 instance is running at each AWS region.

• @raindog308 said: I don't think any VPS provider is going to be able to offer you auto failover, if you mean what I think you mean. You mean if node1 fails, node2 detects the failure, VIPs move over, things keep working after perhaps a brief (seconds) outage. That requires some kind of clustering software and VIP movement.

AppLogic can do that, I believe. At least back when I was shopping around they sold me on the idea that, "We could unplug your server, completely power it off, and it'll boot up instantly on another node" (or something).

I still can't remember what provider I was thinking of though. They weren't really LEB pricing, and their upgrade model kinda sucked as they couldn't upgrade a specific resource (can't upgrade storage without upgrading RAM, etc) but the service was solid.

• @hyao said: If you get 2 Cloud VPS from 2 locations, IMO that should mostly get you covered.

That's funny :) and expresses nicely how the "Cloud" hype is just that, hype.

I store my data in The Cloud. In case The Cloud fails, I have a failover Cloud.

• Talk to http://www.dediserve.com on chat, do some haggling and you'll have some competitive pricing and a lot of locations to choose from.

Gigenetcloud (chicago) is good as well, 100% uptime for some of our stuff there.

• I'm working on true cloud OpenVZ and KVM VPS's but I'm still working on the launch with our software partner.

Cloud is just a marketing term, lot shorter and better than super hyper redundant compute and storage nodes.

• @FRCorey said: Cloud is just a marketing term

Years ago it meant basically, "accessible via the Internet". Network diagramming programs even had a nice 'cloud' graphic that you could insert.

Now it's primarily used to give people a false sense of data security. Unless of course there's a hefty pricetag -- in which case we hope there's some validity.

• Cloudflare plus AWS

• I'm pretty sure Knightswarm can offer this. @KnightSwarm_Phillip

• @Wintereise Thanks for the mention, but our OnApp stuff is only in Vegas right now, and we're still waiting on them to finish adding hardware support for some of our stuff.