Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is the best reasonably affordable shared host?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What is the best reasonably affordable shared host?

JTRJTR Member
edited February 2013 in General

It's not for me, it's for a client. I'm currently looking at HostGator, Mediatemple, and Site5.

I need something that's reasonably reliable. The client only has a rough idea of what he can pay, I'd say the upper limit is $20/mo but $10/mo is ideal. He's currently using Dreamhost, and quite frankly, they're terrible.

The site doesn't get a huge amount of traffic, so shared hosting is all I need.

Are any of the three I listed a bad pick?

Comments

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Of the three you listed I would say Mediatemple is the best.
    HostGator is an EIG (Endurance International Group) company they run BlueHost, JustHost, HostMonster, Domain.com, Fatcow, etc. so avoid it.
    Site5 seems alright but again, Mediatemple would be a better choice.

• I am! We have low cost and can provide anything you need!

• I would avoid HostGator... we've been having a lot of people moving from HostGator to our shared hosting recently.

I don't have input on the other two.

• superpilesossuperpilesos Member
    edited February 2013

miscis.com / .eu

• @Damian said: I would avoid HostGator

+1 on that; and again MediaTemple have proved good for me in the past, although I can't say anything to their recent service.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

catalysthost

edited February 2013

Well, if 24khost is going to recommend himself I will certainly recommend myself too.
    I was simply trying to remain unbiased and informative.
    But yes, our hosting is on servers located in the Hivelocity datacenter. Level3 is one of the bandwidth providers, so in other words we have a damn fast network with high quality bandwidth. 4x Enterprise grade SAS drives in RAID10, and it's not oversold. Of course, use the popular cPanel control panel. We also have Softaculous in there so you can one-click install most popular applications. We are a CloudFlare Certified Partner.
    https://shovehost.com/cart.php?gid=1

• @shovenose said: CloudFlare Certified Partner.

this doesn't really mean anything besides cpanel integration..

@shovenose said: Well, if 24khost is going to recommend himself I will certainly recommend myself too.

Well now, aren't we all grown up?

@JTR said: It's not for me, it's for a client.

I like
    http://mediatemple.net/ & https://hostigation.com/?page=Shared

:P I currently am using Hostigation for a client.

• There are all sorts of us out there who sell it. I wouldn't look at any of the huge shared hosts. Your just a number there. Go with a smaller host that will take care of you.

• As always we offer quality shared hosting for $5 /Yr.

• MuZoMuZo Member
    edited February 2013

I've used miscis.com for almost a year now , no problems!
    I host there my blog rarevps.com for a cheap price.

• PavHost, We have a 99% OFF First month discount, So try us before you purchase!
    And plans are starting at $1.25
    With 24/7 Support
    cPanel
    Softaculous
    CloudFlare
    Attracta
    German OffShore Hosting
    And all the good things :)

http://www.pavhost.com
    coupon - 99OFF

• @RuneServer said: PavHost, We have a 99% OFF First month discount, So try us before you purchase!

Your name is RuneServer and the email on your domain WHOIS is of a runescape private server...

• @RuneServer said: German OffShore

Hehe, you're funny, you host RSPS'es too? Because Germany has one of the most strict copyright laws

• hyaohyao Member
    edited February 2013

@shovenose said: I was simply trying to remain unbiased and informative.

Kudos to that. I'll try to keep that in mind myself.

@24khost said: Go with a smaller host that will take care of you.

That's one of the benefits of going with a smaller host that values its customers.

The day that your host doesn't need your business (ie if they're huge) is the day you should find another provider :)

• @24khost said: I am! We have low cost and can provide anything you need!

Truly failover shared hosting @JTR

• We have cloud based shared hosting. Would be going without downtime right now, if not for a faulty software upgrade.

We actually now offer cpanel with the ability to have your site with nginx for speed.
    We have the auto-failover and are working on some other things with backups and such right now.

• @24khost said: We actually now offer cpanel with the ability to have your site with nginx for speed.

How long have you been using this?

• 24khost24khost Member
    edited February 2013

@Damain For about a month now. No problems with it so far. Just had to make some adustments to things.

• DudeistDudeist Member
    edited February 2013

From my experience webfaction.com has been the best shared host. Apart from all the usual shared features, you'll get dediacted ram, guaranteed bandwidth, shell access, nginx via symlinks, server location choice, and some more. I haven't used them in over two years, so things might have changed, but probably for the better. I don't think they have competition with their offering.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@KuJoe - ServerDragon, though I think their shared hosting is now http://floridawebhosting.net/

• I want to find a relatively large company. Sorry guys, but I don't want to risk it with a small operation for this one. Hostigation is the only smaller company I'm willing to consider.

Mediatemple's reviews seem to have a theme of the support being great but the hardware sucking. It may be better now. Does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanked by 1chill047
  • @JTR said: I want to find a relatively large company. Sorry guys, but I don't want to risk it with a small operation for this one.

Reverse logic at it's best

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

Just started using MonsterMegs and can't praise them enough so far!

• @JTR said: $10/mo is ideal

I can get you $5/yr if you're into that.

• @Damian has the best shared hosting around here to my own experience :)

• http://asmallorange.com/hosting/shared/

I don't know how well known these guys are, and I don't have service from them but hear they're pretty good and they've been around for at least 5 years as far as I know.

• I'd have to disagree @maurice

A friend of mine was using them, their 'disks' filled up twice in the space of a week and caused over 12 hours of down time, the first time was because they were that 'bursting' the server couldnt boot, I assume their vSwap wasnt able to be allocated or something, and the second time was apparently a failed disk.

I was unimpressed by their support too, they had one agent on during a busy time, however their manager did ring my friends support line up and explain the situation. There's better services for cheaper.

• webhostingpad

Amazing prices, good support.