Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Favorite Shell
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Favorite Shell

RaymiiRaymii Member
edited February 2013 in General

Used to run bash with a custom PS1 and a lot of aliases, but now for a while I've discovered Oh my zsh. Using either the candy or the steeef theme (more themes). Still using my aliases and functions though. And the git plugin for zsh.

Recently written a ansible playbook for Oh My Zsh and now it is running as the default shell on my servers ass well.

So, anybody got Shell preferences? Bash, Zsh, Csh, Fish, Ksh? And, why?

Comments

• I'm using default bash. I don't see why I need a other shell. (If anyone could explain me?)

• I'm using bash.
    1. Used to.
    2. Enough for me.
    3. Portability (bash are installed everywhere).

• I use zsh on some servers, bash on the rest. I just haven't gotten around to installing zsh on them. zsh uses a custom config file that I found online forever ago, who knows where

• mksh

• zsh with oh-my-zsh & some customisations.

Gives me lots of nice little things compared to bash that I've managed to forget over time (e.g. tab-complete menu)

• The only different shell that I have used (And just to fix some scripting stuff) was tcsh :S

Coming from Bash... is a mess.

• My favorite shell? One that has UID=0.

I use oh-my-zsh for my primary shell. The following scripts are just for effect.

#!/bin/sh su -l rallias_root

#!/bin/bash ZDOTDIR=/root/.zsh_rallias zsh

• @Rallias said: My favorite shell? One that has UID=0.

Hehe, good one.

But really, colors in bash make me happy but that's about it. Most stuff is automated, I usually only go in a shell when something needs to change or when there's something wrong, no need for fancy stuff imo.

• draziloxdrazilox Member
    edited March 2013

woops. delete this.