Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Raspberry Pis?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Raspberry Pis?

BrandonBrandon Member
edited February 2013 in General

So I finally got a Raspberry Pi (I know right?)! I'm just curious as to what the LowEnd community is doing with them so I can get some ideas on what is is capable of.

Comments

• @Brandon said: So I finally got a Raspberry Pi (I know right?)! I'm just curious as to what the LowEnd community is doing with them so I can get some ideas on what is is capable of.

Media center... &.. learning linux. :p

• Paperweight.

• Run a PBX for home on mine.

• @Zetta said: Paperweight.

And then sold on Craigslist instantly. Excruciatingly slow.

• Mine runs a media center

• RaymiiRaymii Member
    edited February 2013

Have 3, one is sharing my USB printer around the house via CUPS, one runs as a TOR relay node and one is used as a LAMP testing bed.

Oh, and at a few clients they have them hanging in full screen browser (kiosk-like) mode showing either Icinga(Nagios) or Travis (CI).

• Media server. Not exactly the fastest piece of kit I've ever purchased, but it works great for this purpose.

I wouldn't recommend trying to do anything too taxing on it; you'll be fairly disappointed when you realise your phone probably has more power behind it.

• OLinuXino as a faster replacement?
    Or even Odroid-U2 for a power of quad-core Exynos 4412? :)

• edited February 2013

If I have one, I would like to use it to turn on/off my Air Conditioner and other electric stuff. :D

It's been a while since 94 I have this idea, but keeping a PC on 24x7 for a year would waste the money to pay the bills. So Raspberry would fit with this

• Or well CubieBoard. Seriously, Pi are outdated and there are more powerful replacements.

@ErawanArifNugroho that is usually a microcontroller area. Like this http://www.glacialwanderer.com/hobbyrobotics/?p=9

• edited February 2013

@nstorm thank you for pointing that page :)
    It's giving me more idea and knowledge :)

The purpose I'm using Raspberry is, if I send a command or for example a query or an email to the server, it will act and start some payload, for example receiving an email with subject "AC on", Raspberry will turn on the Air Conditioner before I'm arriving at home, so it will be already nice at the room when I'm at home.

• @ErawanArifNugroho @nstorm @Brandon
    One of the most populair pages on Raymii.org is the Small Linux PC's overview, a list with boards and PC's like the Raspberry Pi: https://raymii.org/s/articles/Small_Linux_PCs.html

• @ErawanArifNugroho quite easy to do. You just need to use GPIO ports of the board. Like in this tutorial https://projects.drogon.net/raspberry-pi/gpio-examples/tux-crossing/gpio-examples-1-a-single-led/ Pi's GPIO are used to control LED.
    Instead of directly connecting to the LED you should connect it via transistor & relay like in previous tutorial. Could also add optocoupler for addition protection of your PI from high AC.
    Then you just echo “1″ > /sys/class/gpio/gpioXX/value to turn it on or 0 to turn it back off. Echoing 1 there will set logical 1 on (+3.3 V or +5 V, dunno what are Vcc for Pi), which will command relay to switch on and connect power to your AC device.
    Everything is well explained on the links above.

• @ErawanArifNugroho said: The purpose I'm using Raspberry is, if I send a command or for example a query or an email to the server, it will act and start some payload, for example receiving an email with subject "AC on", Raspberry will turn on the Air Conditioner before I'm arriving at home, so it will be already nice at the room when I'm at home.

Nest Thermostat

• @nstorm wow, thank you very much :)

• @FRCorey said: Nest Thermostat

Hehehe... Some usage for turning all the electricity off at home

• Robot Wars Bots and Line Followers :D

• Are these actually available for purchase now? Or do they still have a months-long waiting period?

I received mine quite some time ago from @u4ia, but would like to have a couple more for various things.

• @Damian atleast in parts of europe you get them right away.

• I use one as a media server. It works great, sits behind my TV, and costs a few bucks a year to operate running 24x7. They can also be useful for small projects (mentioned above), small PBX's, or just something to provide SSH access into your home network for troubleshooting from a residential connection. Cubieboard looks very cool too though.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited February 2013

@Damian http://raspberrypi.rsdelivers.com/ says they will despatch in 1 week.
    that's down from 14-19 weeks lead time some months ago.

As for mine, they sit powered off doing nothing at the moment. I waited for so long for mine, that in the meantime I ordered, received, and set up everything I needed (a couple of light web browsing desktops and a VPN router) on some better ARM boards, specifically the Cubieboard, MK802 and Mele A2000.

• To those running it as a media server, what are you storing the media on? Do you then have it linked up to the tv? Is the TV streaming from the PI or are you viewing directly from the Pi?

• DavidxDavidx Member
    edited February 2013

@MartinD said: what are you storing the media on? Do you then have it linked up to the tv? Is the TV streaming from the PI or are you viewing directly from the Pi?

32GB MicroSD cards > microsd sd adapter

It's a lot of data. I have my whole music library on it with a crapload of space left. I watch videos on it, then delete them as I probably wont watch them again.

Could get a USB hub & run a external harddrive too, depends on how much space you want.

• Not much of a media server then if you have to limit your storage and remove it, defeats the purpose no?

I run an ext drive on one of mine but running raspbmc is painful.

• raspbx at home! And one is over at EDIS datacenter for colocation. Cheapest dedi evah.

• I run XBMC on mine. Works perfectly streaming media from my media server, from Hulu, iPlayer, etc.

• @MartinD said: Not much of a media server then if you have to limit your storage and remove it, defeats the purpose no?

Not reallyy.. If you REALLY "wanted" to have a bit more here;
    http://amzn.com/B0090J5XLS

or 64gb more trusted Sandisk?
    http://amzn.com/B009QZH6JS

• @Damian said: Are these actually available for purchase now? Or do they still have a months-long waiting period?

I received mine quite some time ago from @u4ia, but would like to have a couple more for various things.

I ordered mine from Element14 a few days ago and just got them. I didn't have to wait at all and it was relatively quickly.