Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BGPView - Seeking feedback/suggestions
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BGPView - Seeking feedback/suggestions

ZappieZappie Member, Host Rep, LIR

Hey Guys and Girls.

Been working on a little of a pet project on the side for the last wee while. Feel like finally reached "MVP" stage so I thought I would share the project with like minded internet users and try to get as much feedback and suggestions as I can.

https://bgpview.io/

As title suggests, its a BGP Viewer/Visualization tool. Essentially, its a replacement for bgp.he.net. Slightly different data, different presentation, and most importantly there is an open API :) :) http://docs.bgpview.apiary.io/

As mentioned before, this is pretty much bare basics and by no means done (Have a few things and features planned up ahead), but I would love to get some feedback from LET and see what crucial features they would want to see in such a platform/system to better aid in the everyday 1337 h4x0r life.
Obviously, want this to be the best and most useful it can be.

Cheers

Comments

• dedicadosdedicados Member
    edited May 2016

let see..

looks really nice...

• For some purpose, still cannot replace bgp.he.net.

But AFAIK bgp.he.net cannot show how many "upstreams" does a ASN have...

Anyway, this site seems helpful! (I work for a IP Geolocation DB provider so we often access bgp.he.net...)

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited May 2016

Looks nice.

First observation - the "Search" does not accept "AS1234" as search input. Instead you should only type "1234". Not a problem, but maybe should be there should be some example given? Or just accept both.
    Also our AS shows ARIN for RIR, which is wrong, it is from RIPE.

edit: also the "Valid ROA" column just shows a question mark? Is it todo item?

• rds100 said: the "Search" does not accept "AS1234"

true, but if you search in the top next to logo, it works.

Thanked by 1rds100
  • FDC Servers, shows 0 prefixes

https://bgpview.io/asn/30058

• ZappieZappie Member, Host Rep, LIR
    edited May 2016

XIAOSpider97 said: For some purpose, still cannot replace bgp.he.net.

The aim will be give the use no reason to use HE's bgp tool, hence am here asking if you can share what it is exactly that you might be after in terms of features and functionality :)

rds100 said: First observation - the "Search" does not accept "AS1234" as search input. Instead you should only type "1234".

If you place AS1234 it should auto magically detect you are looking for an ASN and redirect to that page, as in https://bgpview.io/asn/1234 (was a design choice, not sure ideal or not)

rds100 said: Also our AS shows ARIN for RIR, which is wrong, it is from RIPE.

Seems it shows as ARIN on the cached search results only (https://bgpview.io/asn/16154 shows correctly it seems) Cheers for that catch, should be fixed now

Thanked by 1rds100

dedicados said: FDC Servers, shows 0 prefixes

>
    They dont announce anything from their ASN, they have all their IP space over Cogentco AS IIRC

• AndreixAndreix Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2016

Little mistake: When you click on peers/upstream list and switch to ipv6 tab, it should write IPv4 as the last column.

https://bgpview.io/asn/174#upstreams-v6

Andreix said: Little mistake:

Totally right, cheers for catch.

Thanked by 1Andreix
  • @Zappie said:

dedicados said: FDC Servers, shows 0 prefixes

>
    They dont announce anything from their ASN, they have all their IP space over Cogentco AS IIRC

true http://bgp.he.net/AS30058

AS30058 has not been visible in the global routing table since March 03, 2016
    The information displayed is from that time.

• Looks nice! Mobile layout needs to be worked on, a bit more though :)

Question: How do you determine what upstreams an AS has? I'm not really experienced with this but just wanted to know how you got it, seems pretty accurate.

theroyalstudent said: Mobile layout needs to be worked on

haha thats being polite. The mobile design (actually, the whole of the design) will be worked on much more a little later, what I have currently is just a quick thing I was able to throw together with bootstrap. I am just not all there when it comes to design/UX so its a slow struggle at times.

theroyalstudent said: How do you determine what upstreams an AS has? I'm not really experienced with this but just wanted to know how you got it, seems pretty accurate.

We get all our data from BGP tables. We heavily use the Routeviews and RIS tables which are made publicly available and also have a few full tables we collect ourselves.

With a full BGP table you can parse and process the peers essentially seeing how traffic gets to a specific network and who peers with who along the way, and who is who's upstream/downstreams

Thanked by 1theroyalstudent
  • hawchawc Moderator, LIR

Looks really good. Got a suggestion though:

Would be nice if I could sort, and collapse records by organisation. So say, I only wanted to see records for "Virgin Media Limited" I could select that, and not all of the other ones.

• Nice work!

• MacPacMacPac Member
    edited May 2016

Looks nice and its a Laravel application :D

The API ( https://api.bgpview.io/search?query_term=term) ,Does not support IP Search yet ?

Thanked by 1tszilassi
  • It doesn't work :(

• Awesome, but it looks a bit strange on mobile.

• twiigltwiigl Member

I see you import information from peeringdb, maybe this should be mentioned somewhere

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

I like it.

What about showing information for the visiting IP in the home like bgp.he.net does?

edited May 2016

MacPac said: The API ( https://api.bgpview.io/search?query_term=term) ,Does not support IP Search yet ?

the API has a ip/{ip} end point which will do the job you are after, same with asn and prefix so I thought searching for those is not needed specifically as their format is distinguishable and searchable that way. Well at least that was my line of thinking, probably wise to simply add IPs/Prefixes to search also

linuxthefish said: Awesome, but it looks a bit strange on mobile.

Oh yeah it is :P as mentioned above, it still has mobile/design work. Just not the greatest at that stuff so kinda dreading working it

twiigl said: I see you import information from peeringdb, maybe this should be mentioned somewhere

Yes, with that should also mention the rest of the data sources. While I am at it its:

• RIPE, ARIN, Afrinic, APNIC and Lacnic for whois, RPKI and allocation data
    • IANA for allocation data
    • peeringdb for extra ASN information and IX data
    • Routeviews + RIS for BGP tables
    • Maxmind for some geoip data

doghouch said: it doesn't work :(

Wierd, what URL

Nyr said: What about showing information for the visiting IP in the home like bgp.he.net does?

Is a good and simple idea! ill try to think how to display/fit it. Either home landing homepage or maybe small link that you can click and follow info in the nav or something.

• jmginerjmginer Member, Patron Provider

Nice!

• @Zappie said:

• RIPE, ARIN, Afrinic, APNIC and Lacnic for whois, RPKI and allocation data

Actually you may need to query NIRs' DB too...

AFAIK there are some NIRs...

APNIC: CNNIC, KRNIC, JPNIC, TWNIC, VNNIC, APJII, IRINN...

Lacnic: NIC.mx, NIC.br

Especially Lacnic area, seems Mexicans and Brazilians cannot go directly with Lacnic...

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited May 2016

@Zappie It works now (it was probably something temporary) :)

EDIT: You should add validation for ex. local IPs, because that seems to trigger the error too

XIAOSpider97 said: Actually you may need to query NIRs' DB too...

You are right, but considering that the NIR whois entries essentially get propagated upwards as a referral object to the RIR whois query I feel there is no value to store the specific output from the NIR. It will be some significant processing power to go through extra hops when doing the whois queries (currently one of the most resource and time intensive tasks to get done on project)

doghouch said: EDIT: You should add validation for ex. local IPs, because that seems to trigger the error too

Good call, added some basic and initial error handling to be able to handle rfc1918 addresses

After the missing features like DNS and some basic eye candy graphs are done on the site the upcoming plan will be to add a user auth system when people can register and subscribe to change alerts in IX, BGP, Prefixes, ASN and Whois resources. So pretty much if you subscribe to get notified for changes on AS1234 you'll get an email when new peers/upstream/ips/whois gets added/removed/altered (checked done twice a day for changed sort of deal)

something like this (Example screenshot I took from email)

• CatalinCatalin Member

Does not look too good on mobile phones..

• something like this (Example screenshot I took from email)

@Zappie How do I subscribe? Looks like a good way for peeps to be informed about networks they care about haha :)

theroyalstudent said: How do I subscribe? Looks like a good way for peeps to be informed about networks they care about haha :)

Well thats the idea, monitor your own infras and also your competitors. Or just stuff you are curious about.

Anyways, currently its a wee while before you will be seeing this added feature as its in its absolute infancy .

Feel free to PM/Email your email address and list of resources (ASN/Prefixes/IX) you want to monitor and ill manually add it to the list, Just note, its in mega alpha stages.

• linuxclarklinuxclark Member
    edited June 2016

bgpview.io is offline, bgpview is very useful, hopefully it will be fixed.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

The monitoring feature sounds awesome, by the way.

• @Nyr said:
    The monitoring feature sounds awesome, by the way.

It is.