Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hassle of WHM/Cpanel Requirement to change nameservers when adding domains
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hassle of WHM/Cpanel Requirement to change nameservers when adding domains

ricardoricardo Member
edited May 2016 in General

As title really, it's becoming more common for WHM/cpanel setups to require you to change the nameservers of a domain to the host, if you want to add new "Parked" or "Add On" domains.

Problem is, it seems the name servers you often get in the welcome email are not the right ones to use several months down the line, and in cpanel there doesn't seem to be anywhere that mentions it.

Anyone know of a way to discover them, else it's the dread manual asking of the provider? Just to be extra specific, this is as a shared hosting user, no WHM access, just cpanel.

Comments

• really?

@ricardo it seems the name servers you often get in the welcome email are not the right ones to use several months down the line

• ricardoricardo Member

Yes. Seen it numerous times.

In any event, it seems hardly practical that an email you get at signup is the only point of reference for configuring new domains on a shared hosting setup.... surely. Looking for something automated but can't see any mentionings with cpanel.

• vanity nameservers? unfortunately, there's no way to view primary ns in cpanel, as far as I know anyway

• ricardoricardo Member

What I'm after. (1) I change nameservers to suit the hosting provider (2) Add domain (3) Change nameservers back to registrar

unfortunately

Seems to be this way as far as I can tell. I'd expect better from such a widely used platform.

• well, I believe you can use initial primary ns provided in the activation email, that would suffice to eradicate confusion. what you need is primary ns details, add your domain and just update registrar with primary ns. cPanel backend will handle actual zone files in WHM.
    fyi, regardless what ns records you see in cPanel -> DNS editor, the backend will still have your domain ns zone records as ns1.yourprovider.com ns2.yourprovider.com (primary ns)

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited May 2016

I'd much prefer not to have the hosting provider handling DNS as I have automation/APIs that use the registrars DNS, and although I have some code to login to cpanel and do stuff, it doesn't involve managing DNS records. I just want to add the domains for web hosting, for now. It's just that this behaviour is a bit of a roadblock that hinders all the other automation to set things up.

fyi, regardless what ns records you see in cPanel

I don't see any NS records by default.

Thanks anyway. I think the activation email is the only place that mentions name servers.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited May 2016

This can be disabled in WHM. All hosts should disable it unless they have a problem caused by excessive unused DNS zones.

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited May 2016

@jarland, I can think of 2 reasons why they do it (but neither here nor there TBH, they do as they wish)

Helpful for locking in newbies into their system. But I believe it was added in to prevent people adding the likes of google.com and confusing their config/nameservers. May be wrong about that one. Same goes the situation where you hear your friend wants to add xyz.com to the server, but you're on the same machine and add it before him. Resolves to your hosting space. Essentially it proves you have control of the domain... though IMO going the TXT record route of verification like most other places would be much smoother.

Thanked by 1jar