Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Home Networking | The Low End Way | Cat 6 , Cat 6A Cat 7
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Home Networking | The Low End Way | Cat 6 , Cat 6A Cat 7

noamannoaman Member

Hi

I am looking to do home networking But I am a little confused.I want to do wiring capable of 1 Gigabit/Second but up gradable to 10 GBit in future.

Here are my queries in the poll

Note:

The maximum length of the wire will be always less then the 55m.If you know what I mean

Thanked by 1deadbeef
Poll not found

Comments

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

For 10 gbps you are fine just avoiding 5e.

Use shielded if you expect interferences, not needed in normal conditions for a home.

• gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

Got a poll not found :(

• noamannoaman Member

@davidgestiondbi said:
      Got a poll not found :(

Well...I got more then 4 votes right now...mind refreshing the page?

• rmlhhdrmlhhd Member

Just use FIBRE!

Thanked by 2cassa doghouch
    • noamannoaman Member
      edited May 2016

@Nyr said:
      For 10 gbps you are fine just avoiding 5e.

Use shielded if you expect interferences, not needed in normal conditions for a home.

BTW...
      I am going to run these cables side by side

RG-6 for cablecable

RJ-11 for telephone

And two of these ...for link aggregation....:-)

Am I headed right? :-p

• noamannoaman Member

@rmlhhd said:
      Just use FIBRE!

The title says it all...The low end way :-)

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

If you want cheap then CAT6 UTP is the cheapest you'll find unless you find something for free (I used to have a ton of fiber I got for free when my company was decommissioning our old data center, we were basically giving away all of our own infrastructure to anybody who would come pick it up so look around Craigslist or similar sites for your area).

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
    • dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

yep, do it fibre, the low end way. ;) You can get 1000Base-SX SFPs for less than 10 bucks. 1000Base-LX doesn't cost much more. Both used on ebay. For the wiring, you could use long patch cables for home cabling.

Stay away from those cheap CCA (copper-clad aluminium) cables. A few years ago I installed one with about 50m between two floors. The quality became worse each year. Finally my Cisco switch estimated the cable to be about 250m long and I had outages every other day. For short patch cables which can be simply replaced this might be okay. But not for anything >10m.

A few months ago I replaced the cable with two single mode fiber patch cables. Link is absolutely stable with only very few loss (as expected on that short distance). Gigabit is no problem. Upgrading to 10 Gig is only a question of SFP+ prices. And with single mode fiber even CWDM stuff for 40/100 Gig would be possible; though currently not within LE price range, and not very quite useful at home either. :)

Considering the low prices of Gigabit fiber, I would recommend fiber cabling between switches, even at home. And some simple standard twisted pair cable to your actual end device.

• noamannoaman Member

@KuJoe said:
      If you want cheap then CAT6 UTP is the cheapest you'll find unless you find something for free (I used to have a ton of fiber I got for free when my company was decommissioning our old data center, we were basically giving away all of our own infrastructure to anybody who would come pick it up so look around Craigslist or similar sites for your area).
      @dfroe said:
      yep, do it fibre, the low end way. ;) You can get 1000Base-SX SFPs for less than 10 bucks. 1000Base-LX doesn't cost much more. Both used on ebay. For the wiring, you could use long patch cables for home cabling.

Stay away from those cheap CCA (copper-clad aluminium) cables. A few years ago I installed one with about 50m between two floors. The quality became worse each year. Finally my Cisco switch estimated the cable to be about 250m long and I had outages every other day. For short patch cables which can be simply replaced this might be okay. But not for anything >10m.

A few months ago I replaced the cable with two single mode fiber patch cables. Link is absolutely stable with only very few loss (as expected on that short distance). Gigabit is no problem. Upgrading to 10 Gig is only a question of SFP+ prices. And with single mode fiber even CWDM stuff for 40/100 Gig would be possible; though currently not within LE price range, and not very quite useful at home either. :)

Considering the low prices of Gigabit fiber, I would recommend fiber cabling between switches, even at home. And some simple standard twisted pair cable to your actual end device.

Ooops my bad....My country is Pakistan so fiber would most probably be expensive...

BTW how durable is fiber cable ?

Do I have to be careful when installing....

• noamannoaman Member

Also...

One more thing I forgot to add

I don't want to get ripped off

@dfroe

How do you identity a CCA vs pure copper

Btw:

Thanx for the advice

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@noaman said:

Ooops my bad....My country is Pakistan so fiber would most probably be expensive...

It's basically glass so it breaks easier than copper. Bending it, stepping on it, dropping it on a hard surface, and anything else you don't want to do with glass will probably result in running new fiber (such a PITA for long runs when it gets pinched in a door or stepped on while maneuvering under the raised floor).

• noamannoaman Member

@KuJoe said:

@noaman said:

It's basically glass so it breaks easier than copper. Bending it, stepping on it, dropping it on a hard surface, and anything else you don't want to do with glass will probably result in running new fiber (such a PITA for long runs when it gets pinched in a door or stepped on while maneuvering under the raised floor).

That's a no no...then...

I was actually looking for MHZ explanation.. How much I need it for future 10 GB...:-)

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@noaman said:

@rmlhhd said:
      Just use FIBRE!

The title says it all...The low end way :-)

You can do low end fibre :-).

• Kyn_DHKyn_DH Member

run with STP Cat6 will be okay for your need but STP Cat6A is my suggest based on your Question above. Explanation about my suggest you should find it when you search knowledge all the option pool you made.

• noamannoaman Member

@Kyn_DH said:
      run with STP Cat6 will be okay for your need but STP Cat6A is my suggest based on your Question above. Explanation about my suggest you should find it when you search knowledge all the option pool you made.

Thanx will keep this in mind...:-)

• tomletomle Member, LIR
      edited May 2016

Run UTP unless you can guarantee that all the equipment are grounded properly and preferrably to the same ground. If STP is not grounded, it can instead act as an antenna picking up interference.
      STP is best in industrial applications with a lot of electromagnetic interference. UTP is fine for homes.

Also, run dual cables into each room from a central patch panel. That's the standard in Sweden for new buildings. See here for some inspiration:
      https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=https://www.kjell.com/se/fraga-kjell/hur-funkar-det/natverk/hemnatverk/lokalt-tradbundet-natverk&edit-text=&act=url

• noamannoaman Member

@jarland @ishaq

Bro...Could you fix the poll ...Not working right now...:-(

• IshaqIshaq Member

@noaman said:
      @jarland @ishaq

How do you mean not working? Shows up fine here.

We can only delete the poll and you have to re-create it.

• Here is how I did my home network I have my base in my room(my netgear 24 port gigabit switch) which is fed by my server(gateway) that comes off of my dsl modem.
      and the netgear 24 port gigabit switch feeds all the rest of the house with cat5e stp cable run through the attic to the den and everywhere else. and I have also have a firewall in place between each entry point to prevent anyone from getting into my network.
      as you would have to go through 3 firewalls each with ips(intrusion prevention system) to get into my internal network so I have made it very secure.
      I could tell you alot of how to wire and make your own home network since I am a trained networking professional and also a trained security professional as well.

• noamannoaman Member

@Ishaq said:

@noaman said:
      @jarland @ishaq

How do you mean not working? Shows up fine here.

We can only delete the poll and you have to re-create it.

Okay...It was temporary ...I think its buggy...because @davidgestiondbi was also having trouble with it...when it as running fine at my end...when I posted the previous comment it was not running at my end....but at the time of this comment...It works fine....

I will post a screenshot next time...:-)

• noamannoaman Member

@timnboys said:
      Here is how I did my home network I have my base in my room(my netgear 24 port gigabit switch) which is fed by my server(gateway) that comes off of my dsl modem.
      and the netgear 24 port gigabit switch feeds all the rest of the house with cat5e stp cable run through the attic to the den and everywhere else. and I have also have a firewall in place between each entry point to prevent anyone from getting into my network.
      as you would have to go through 3 firewalls each with ips(intrusion prevention system) to get into my internal network so I have made it very secure.
      I could tell you alot of how to wire and make your own home network since I am a trained networking professional and also a trained security professional as well.

I am looking to do the same...But how exactly did you implement the firewall?

I am just curious...Because if a hacker/Intruder is in my house ....There are other things to worry about....

• doghouchdoghouch Member
      edited May 2016

@rmlhhd said:
      Just use FIBRE!

It's relatively cheap if bought I bulk, with the exception that you need fiber to copper converters on every machine if you don't have a fiber card. Oh well :/

• Yes I have the firewall setup on the modem then from the modem to the server I have another hw firewall and then from the server to the switch I have another hw firewall so all 3 are setup to have a ips as well as normal firewall functions

• I got them cheap off eBay which if you know where to look and have patience to wait for the best deal you will get what you wanted plus more

• noamannoaman Member

@timnboys said:
      I got them cheap off eBay which if you know where to look and have patience to wait for the best deal you will get what you wanted plus more

Bro...if I buy cheap from eBay its going to cost the same when paying shipping to my country....

China is near...any good site to buy switches network equipment pc's etc...you known of?

• noamannoaman Member

@timnboys said:
      Yes I have the firewall setup on the modem then from the modem to the server I have another hw firewall and then from the server to the switch I have another hw firewall so all 3 are setup to have a ips as well as normal firewall functions

In your setup where is the WiFi router?

• noamannoaman Member

@doghouch said:

@rmlhhd said:
      Just use FIBRE!

Its relatively cheap if bought I bulk, with the exception that you need fiber to copper converters on every machine if you don't have a fiber card. Oh well :/

At bulk/wholesale the cost is much lower... But I need a max of 100m

• emgemg Veteran

I have experience with a variety of cables and like to build my own for a variety of reasons, not just cost savings. I especially like the ability to make them the exact length I want.

Here is some basic advice:

Not Fiber:
      Fiber is delicate and not standard in homes. Most home devices do not support fiber.

Ethernet Cable:
      If you are going to be doing it for a while and have the storage space, buy a large spool of the best cable you can (e.g., CAT7). It will cost a lot up front, but you will save a lot on the per cable cost over the long run. I am still working off a CAT6 spool that I bought 7 years ago. It is still quite useable for any foreseeable need and I do not regret the investment I made a long time ago.

One comment:
      My CAT6 cable is very high quality, but the interior wires are not colored in the standard way. There are the solid green, blue, orange, and brown, but the matching pair wires are all solid white, not color stripes. You have to keep track of which is which as you terminate the cable - a real pain.

Tools:
      Buy quality tools and RJ-14 plugs and jacks. Get good test equipment, too, so you can verify your cables before relying on them.

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

@noaman said:
      How do you identity a CCA vs pure copper

If you are buying from a trusted source, all CCA cables should be declared as such.
      You may also see it on the price tag. All CCA cables will be in a price range while pure copper cables will be in a slightly higher price range. Of course if you do not trust your source, you cannot easily verify whether someone sells you a CCA cable as pure copper. If in doubt you could cut the cable and look at the color of the core. If you see a silver aluminium core, you're out.

• @noaman said:

@timnboys said:
      Yes I have the firewall setup on the modem then from the modem to the server I have another hw firewall and then from the server to the switch I have another hw firewall so all 3 are setup to have a ips as well as normal firewall functions

In your setup where is the WiFi router?

my wifi routers are setup as access points not routers since I don't need a 2nd or 3rd gateway lol.
      as I have two wifi access points one in my room and one in the den.