Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Xeon CPU E5-2620 v2 @ 2.10GHz, 2 cores vs i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 1 core for PLEX
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Xeon CPU E5-2620 v2 @ 2.10GHz, 2 cores vs i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 1 core for PLEX

BTNBTN Member
edited May 2016 in Help

i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 1 core + 2GB DDR (OpenVZ)(ZX) vs Xeon CPU E5-2620 v2 @ 2.10GHz, 2 cores (XEN)(Prometeus) + 2GB DDR.

I want to know witch one has a better performance, i will be using Debian 8.4 (x86) with Plex, Sonnar, Transmission and Webmin.

Comments

• Depend on your need. Do your software support multi core processing?

• BTNBTN Member
    edited May 2016

Thanks for the anwser, i really dont know, but i think that the apps dont use multi-core processing, but my main concern is the audio transcoding by Plex.

• Vote i7

Thanked by 1yomero
  • winnervpswinnervps Member, Host Rep

http://ark.intel.com/compare/75789,65719

IMHO, when it comes to server environment, you can't compare it to desktop-based. like wise: apple vs orange

• msg7086msg7086 Member

And you can't compare the performance by the given specs. It all depends on how much computing power the provider allows you to use. If one gives you a full dedicated core, and the other gives you 1/10 core, the answer will be completely different.

• MunMun Member

You want the dual core. It also really depends if you are going to use plex to transcode on the fly.

• SilvengaSilvenga Member
    edited May 2016

Passmark per thread:

E5-2620 v2: 1274 * 2 = 2548
    i7-3770: 2069 * 1    = 2069

• CableChiefCableChief Member
    edited May 2016

Go for the E5 for better performance with Plex. It's typically recommended that you go for 2000 passmark score for every 1080p transcoded stream you have. I find this is quite a generous limit though as my home Plex server runs an FX-4100 and handles lots of stream without breaking a sweat

• BTNBTN Member
    edited June 2016

For encoding with Plex, witch one has the best performance: Debian 64bits or 32 bits?

• I'd recommend a dedicated server. Plex will use 100% resources if it's available. A vps company won't like that when resources are shared.

• BTNBTN Member

@doughnet said:
    I'd recommend a dedicated server. Plex will use 100% resources if it's available. A vps company won't like that when resources are shared.

What do you recomend?

• the i7 will offer superior performance, the single E5 performs like a single L5420 core

http://browser.primatelabs.com/

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

My vote goes for i7 unless you are sure to install something that can exploits 6 cores.

• plex server itself doesn't utilize more than 1 core, but when a video/audio needs to transcode it will utilize 100% of any available cores.

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

That's a good point for E5-2620 v2 but after a small chat with a friend i advice you to get info on Intel quicksync technology because i7 has igpu and from what i understood you can use it for transcoding.