Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New LEB Rule: CPU Clock Rate e.g (2 - E3-1230v2 Cores @ 100%)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New LEB Rule: CPU Clock Rate e.g (2 - E3-1230v2 Cores @ 100%)

bnmklbnmkl Member
edited February 2013 in General

Please could LowEndBox & LowEndTalk (Offers) make it a rule that the CPU clock rate is stated ?

Perhaps in the format single/total:

512MB RAM
    2 vCPU Core @ 3.2/6.4
    32GB SSD Storage
    4000TB Data Transfer
    1Gbps Port Speed
    KVM/SolusVM
    1 IPv4 Address
    64K IPv6 Addresses

It is just as important, is it not ?

EDIT: Perhaps a benchmark value could be used; perhaps a minimum guaranteed value offered, etc ?

EDIT 2: After considering peoples comments, what about a format of:

[Number Of Cores] [CPU Model] Cores @ [Percentage]

Comments

• @bnmkl said: It is just as important, is it not ?

Not exactly. You'd need to state the exact model then.

An E3-1230v2 would be faster than an E3-1230 at the same clock speed for example.

• If you are going this way maybe you should post performance/benchmark per score core/thread instead - i.e. from here http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

• Clock speed is not the most useful measure - 3.2GHz on a Pentium 4 is not the same as 3.2GHz on a Core i7-3930K.

• bnmklbnmkl Member
    edited February 2013

That is a good point @concerto49 & @lbft, but is it not still better than stating vaguely 1 core which can also be completely different to another ?

Great idea @rds100 ! Perhaps that benchmark plus the clock rate due to some being throttled.

• That falls under "Please be informative in your offers", there is no need for new rules.

• bnmklbnmkl Member
    edited February 2013

That is understandable @vedran, but would it be appropriate to list an offer without stating the storage for instance ? The CPU information is just as important perhaps for the initial comparison between offers, before then researching the ideal ones.

• @bnmkl said: The CPU information is just as important perhaps for the initial comparison between offers, before then researching the ideal ones.

Well clock speed is going to tell you nothing. Not every provider has nodes with all the same hardware, but it would be nice if all providers posted what they do have.

• DamianDamian Member
    edited February 2013

Also:

@bnmkl said: 2 vCPU Core @ 3.2/6.4

CPU speed is not additive; it would still be 3.2 ghz regardless of the number of cores involved.

Additionally, some providers here use a wide range of processors, and listing every possible processor that you could potentially be provisioned on would be difficult and unwieldy.

Most (all?) providers here are, surprisingly, selling Xeon or Opteron-powered hardware, and therefore, you can rest assured that the statement of "1 core" is going to get you a server processor of some sort.

On the other hand, if getting a specific processor is truly that important, then all providers have some sort of "sales" contact, and/or they'll be willing to assign you to a server that best fits your needs.

• How about provider list node specification in the offer?

• All great points @Kairus, @Damian & @budingyun. Perhaps an LEB CPU Benchmark script could be created and used ?

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited February 2013

So much complicating for what? More rules means more restrictions. More complications. And further requirement for LEB CPU Benchmark in posted offer is just dumb. Some bragging numbers from hosts best and newest node means nothing.
    It's forum for god's sake. If you wan't to know something specific just ask.

• @Spirit said: So much complicating for what? More rules means more restrictions. More complications. It's forum for god's sake. If you wan't to know something specific just ask.

This. +1.

• @bnmkl said: All great points @Kairus, @Damian & @budingyun. Perhaps an LEB CPU Benchmark script could be created and used ?

Isn't that what ServerBear is for?

• this just remind me about my overclocking days. everything about clock and power.

• If you wan't to know something specific just ask.

Isn't that what ServerBear is for?

That is true @Spirit & @concerto49, but it would make things much easier. You could ask how much storage you would get for instance, but it is extra hassle for no appropriate reason as it can just be listed.

Yes, more rules can be bad perhaps, but they can create new, better, standards and be more helpful.

lol @Mon5t3r :)

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited February 2013

@Mon5t3r said: this just remind me about my overclocking days. everything about clock and power.

@bnmkl said: but it would make things much easier.

Don't be so sure about that. Some hosts will find it useful mostly for marketing. They will pump those numbers from their newest and best node all around, making other hosts look ridiculous while we know that those numbers means a shit... even new host with one and only (new) rented server can show some great results.

Just look what they did with this I/O performance. Hosts and LEB users. If it's not atleast 200 MB/s they seems unhappy claiming how server performance sux. And I don't blame for that just some unknowledgeable users but also some hosts marketing with building this superior sequential I/O performance cult which have nothing to do with real LEB usage.

• @bnmkl said: Perhaps an LEB CPU Benchmark script could be created and used ?

http://serverbear.com/

• Even more work for providers. LowEndAdmin used to put the work in to his posts and do some research, now it seems that providers have to:

A) Lower their pricing each month to get featured and lower that even further to continue to get listed (You cant keep posting the same lower rate deal).

B) Do all the research for LowEndBox as well, that's right you pretty much have to write your own offer post.

C) Usually (Not always) get nitpicked for every little detail, half of those people are never actually going to buy anything anyway.

So basically, we lower our prices to ridiculous rates to keep things fresh, we write our own blog posts and LEB get the money from search traffic and advertisements for hitting "Submit" on a Wordpress blog.

There seems to be this vibe that providers NEED LEB, when in reality without providers, LEB wouldn't even be here. Things have changed so much in so little time.

• jhjh Member

@GetKVM_Ash couldn't agree more

• That is a great and interesting point @GetKVM_Ash !

• @GetKVM_Ash no pubcrawler here to add the Colocrossing theory to the mix.

• @concerto49 also mentioned ServerBear @Kairus, but it is better/easier to have the information right there plus have it stated as the offer.

• @concerto49 said: @GetKVM_Ash no pubcrawler here to add the Colocrossing theory to the mix.

Lmao. That's dictatorship for you.

• @GetKVM_Ash said: A) Lower their pricing each month to get featured and lower that even further to continue to get listed (You cant keep posting the same lower rate deal).

To be serious though, this isn't true. E.g. http://www.lowendbox.com/?s=hudson+valley&searchsubmit=Find - Hudson Valley Host's offer has been up and down in terms of pricing.

• I think it's the hosts competing more against each other, isn't it? Not sure if you guys would be willing to discuss this publicly, but do any of you see marked reductions in sales when a competitor has a new offer?

I know many on this forum (and on LEB) demand more for less consistently, but surely that group make up a very small percentage of your actual client base?

• @GetKVM_Ash said: A) Lower their pricing each month to get featured and lower that even further to continue to get listed (You cant keep posting the same lower rate deal).

That's an outcome of the price-driven LEB concept, which I've argued (many times) is just plain wrong. You seem to be blaming this on LEB/LET. I blame it on the irresponsible providers who started it, and the foolish ones who followed. (And for the record I don't think you're either of those.)

@GetKVM_Ash said: There seems to be this vibe that providers NEED LEB, when in reality without providers, LEB wouldn't even be here.

Disagree. Without providers LEB/LET would certainly be here, but it would be a different crowd and we'd be talking about things other than the latest 3GB $7/month offer... things like how to run an efficient server with limited resources.

• Ash_HawkridgeAsh_Hawkridge Member
    edited February 2013

@sleddog said: Disagree. Without providers LEB/LET would certainly be here, but it would be a different crowd and we'd be talking about things other than the latest 3GB $7/month offer... things like how to run an efficient server with limited resources.

@sleddog i usually agree with most things you say, but that's just BS lol. I do agree with you regarding providers and the decline in pricing though. My main issue is that LEB is doing little to no work, have you submitted an offer? We are practically writing the articles for them.

I thought you had been here long enough to know that's not what LEB used to be about.

"Low End Box - Cheap VPS Hosting Providers Listing & Reviews"

Explain to me how LowEndBox can post provider listings and reviews, without providers.

• @mon5t3r you back :D ??!!!!

• From my understanding and by the analogy from this thread:

http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/8175/motion-to-ban-listing-on-leblet-for-providers-with-private-whois

I think the idea is @Liam prefer to leave the choices to the customers and hence those information, if a client care, could always try to figure out themselves instead of posted on LET/LEB...

• @GetKVM_Ash said: B) Do all the research for LowEndBox as well, that's right you pretty much have to write your own offer post.

Shouldn't you write your own offer post / server stats? Admin here isn't your low end secretary. Or did they do this in the past?

@lbft said: Clock speed is not the most useful measure - 3.2GHz on a Pentium 4 is not the same as 3.2GHz on a Core i7-3930K.

Agreed. Something like '3.2 Ghz on an E3-1240v2'

Finding a link and linking to Ark isn't that hard, and gives customers a good idea on how new (or old) the hardware is. Took 15 seconds.