Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any better deal than this? i7-3770, 16GB DDR3, 4x3TB, LSI MegaRAID @ 48 Eur/m
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any better deal than this? i7-3770, 16GB DDR3, 4x3TB, LSI MegaRAID @ 48 Eur/m

edanedan Member
edited May 2016 in Requests

Hello All,

I'm considering to replace my current storage/backup/FTP/RDP server running Windows 10.

It will only contains important data (eg. all website database + the files). It synchronized automatically to my Google Drive and to my owncloud server (perhaps will remove the owncloud server from the backup system and replace it with Hubic 10TB plan).

SYS E3-SAT-4 (current server).

• E3 1245v2
  • 32GB DDR3
  • 2x2TB ( LSI MegaRAID with BBU - HW Raid 1)
  • Intel® HD Graphics P4000
  • 45 Eur/m

And already found a perfect candidate to replace above server from Hetzner online auction:

• i7-3770
  • 16GB DDR3
  • 4x3TB ( LSI MegaRAID without BBU - HW Raid 10)
  • Intel® HD Graphics 4000
  • 48 Eur/m

Testing it now and its run great, already install the MegaRaid Storage Manager and enable the email notifications if somethings goes wrong with the RAID.

New server Pros and Cons:

• No DDOS protection
  • Less RAM
  • No BBU
  • Free KVM IP access through LARA (great to debug the machine)
  • More storage space
  • RAID 10
  • Better support

Any better deal than this before I move the data?

Thanks,

Comments

• _Nic_Nic Member
    edited May 2016

There are many complaints on Hetzner disks. But your backups must resolve a problem.
    I see 4 x 4Tb without HW RAID about the price right now.

Thanked by 1edan
  • edanedan Member

@_Nic said:
    There are many complaints on Hetzner disk. But your backups must resolve a problem.
    I see 4 x 4Tb without HW RAID about the price right now.

They are pretty fast replacing broken disk with new one, I am facing this situations once with them (after using the server for more than 1 year). Prefer HW Raid, less work to setup all of things.

• msg7086msg7086 Member

New server Pros and Cons: No ECC. Less bandwidth with more penalties.

I personally don't care about ECC. So just saying.

Bandwidth is something you need to care about.

• edanedan Member

@msg7086 said:
    New server Pros and Cons: No ECC. Less bandwidth with more penalties.

I personally don't care about ECC. So just saying.

Bandwidth is something you need to care about.

Regarding bandwidth pretty far comparison indeed. Its 33TB/m vs 75TB/m (SYS 250mbps guaranteed BW, but don't know if SYS allow more than 75TB/m).

• msg7086msg7086 Member

Well, just wanna remind you that some specs come with 10TB or 20TB monthly traffic allowance. Make sure you check that when you order.

(Also couldn't find such specs on the auction list now. Maybe someone beat you.

• edanedan Member

msg7086 said: (Also couldn't find such specs on the auction list now. Maybe someone beat you.

I already snap the box, on Hetzner auction we can try the server for 2 weeks (trial) isn't it, they starting to count the billing after 2 weeks period.

• FalzoFalzo Member

@edan said:

they bill from the first day you got the service provisioned if you keep it.
    only if you cancel within the first 14 days you don't need pay for that period.

Thanked by 1edan