Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dedispec followed policies and I didn't make backups
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dedispec followed policies and I didn't make backups

ifykoifyko Member
edited May 2016 in General

I am writing this review with sadness in my heart and tears rolling down my eyes.

I saw a really good offer on WHT (they were running April discount coupon) and requested a custom configuration of same offer, since their main provider (Wholesaleinternet) don't do custom configs.

I got the below custom config from dedispec;
Dual Intel Xeon 5639
2 x 2TB HDD
32GB DDR3 RAM
5 USABLE IP ADDRESSES
20TB BANDWIDTH/MONTH
2GBit DDoS Protection

Price: $50 per month

As requested i was provided a custom config and an invoice, of which i paid immediately and within 3days my server was ready.

Here is where the issue began:

I had a server with Hetzner, during my stay with Hetzner, the service has been absolutely superb. I do get alot of DMCA report but i never got suspended as long as i took care of the report immediately and replied to their complaint form. I host alot of music/video upload and download website, so yes, there is always going to be DMCA reports, but my clients are so very cooperative with the reports and attend to them in a timely manner. i had been with hetzner for over 3months until my resource needs grew and i needed another provider, who could offer a much larger cpu within my budget. Then i found Dedispec.com's offer, i took advantage of this offer immediately, since they were resellers of a reputable provider (wholesaleinternet), so i thought Dedispec's services will be okay for me but i was wrong :(

Got their server (you will find the server specs above), I immediately began setting up the server, transferred over 300 websites to the server. Everything went smoothly the first month, until i started getting DMCA reports, of which i handled immediately without delays and replied accordingly. Then the 4th day of May, my server went down, i opened a support ticket reporting my server down issue, i got a reply after several long hours (yes, the support response time is extremely bad - they claim their support is 247, all lies, i rather prefer Quadix support response time).

Then i got a reply finally from Don Nisewarner (he's such an Asshole, trust me), first he replied that my server was down due to the high number of abuse complaints, then after few minutes he said "The issue is mainly due to your server IP being listed today on Spamhaus." (can you imagine? he wasn't sure earlier) - he attached a relay spam report (of which i knew nothing about, and i have never gotten such report when i hosted with hetzner), my server admin already installed and configured ASSP Deluxe on the server to stop spam and also ran a server wide scan via maldet for any malware. My admin confirmed that this was sorted then i replied same to dedispec. It took over 24hours before my server came back online. That wasn't all.

Few days later my server went down again, opened support ticket, got the same delayed response but this time from David Byrne, he claimed it was a relay spam and advised me to move to a different provider of which i obliged since i have been unhappy with the level of service i got from Dedispec. David said he would setup a KVM, so i could take my backup (This he never did, after several hours of waiting). Then the biggest surprise response came from Don Nisewarner, his response was "Unfortunately due to numerous TOS violations we are unable to put this server back online or provide a KVM. Your service has been terminated at this time." (without allowing me to take any backup, he terminated my service just like that - very unprofessional).

WELL THANKS TO DEDISPEC, I HAVE NO BUSINESS OR WEBSITES TO HOST ANYMORE. I LOST EVERYTHING.

MY ADVICE TO ANYONE WHO FINDS THEIR OFFER ON ANY FORUM:
1. PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM DEDISPEC's OFFERS OR SERVICE
2. THEY ARE HORSE SHIT
3. BAD SUPPORT RESPONSE TIME
4. THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT YOU OR YOUR BUSINESS
5. THEY ARE NOTHING BUT RESELLERS AND HAVE NO IDEA OF WHAT THEY ARE DOING.

Will rather advice you to purchase directly from Wholesaleinternet or Nocix for better support response time, care and reliability.

Thanked by 1gigavest

Comments

• JonchunJonchun Member
    edited May 2016

If you're going to be hosting lots of spam/abuse, check with the provider before signing up.

Thanked by 1GCat
  • pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

Morale of the story, ALWAYS TAKE BACKUPS EXTERNALLY DUMBASS.

Seriously though, backups are so important, you'll see posts all over let that mention backups and you only have yourself to blame for loss of business. True, dediserve was unprofessional. Redundancy costs money and you need to factor that in, im sure your customers? would understand a price rise...

Thanked by 1ifyko
  • NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited May 2016

So you:

• Sent spam which got you on Spamhaus.
    • Repeatedly hosted lots of copyright abuse. Even if you act fast to remove infringing content, some budget ISPs will not like it (specially if US-based).

Sorry but you are at fail, specially for the Spamhaus part.

They should've still provided the KVM.

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member
    edited May 2016

ifyko said: WELL THANKS TO DEDISPEC, I HAVE NO BUSINESS OR WEBSITES TO HOST ANYMORE. I LOST EVERYTHING.

You have no one except your lazy ass to thank for the outcome. As Jesus once said -

Besides, who in the world hosts 300 websites without having a cheap back-up solution for when the proverbial shit hits the fan? I am sorry your amateur hour run came to an abrupt end.

Yes, Dedispec / WSI suck because they CBF to deal with your abuse complaints for $50 a month. But that's life / business. Get real with your expectations in the future.

Learn, wise up, save us all the pointless drama and move on.

• SSDBlazeSSDBlaze Member, Host Rep

If you host content that will generate a lot of complaints, shouldn't you host somewhere with no DMCA? That way you don't have to worry about the provider terminating your service. Someone correct me if I am wrong. About the spamming, you need to have a reliable system in place to control that.

OP should've had backups, especially with the content hosted, but at the same time the host should've let the OP get his data off the machine before terminating.

Mistakes on both sides in my opinion

Thanked by 1ifyko
  • lazytlazyt Member

Sounds like you cost them way more than you were paying.

• OMG!

• @onecloudyNET said:
    OMG!

Stop spamming pls

Thanked by 1spammy
  • @pbgben said:
    Morale of the story, ALWAYS TAKE BACKUPS EXTERNALLY DUMBASS.

Seriously though, backups are so important, you'll see posts all over let that mention backups and you only have yourself to blame for loss of business. True, dediserve was unprofessional. Redundancy costs money and you need to factor that in, im sure your customers? would understand a price rise...

It is DEDISPEC ... not Dediserve.

Thanked by 2vimalware dediserve
  • MadMad Member

I do not see anything wrong with it. Repeated unhandled abuses obviously lead to the service termination.

• ATHKATHK Member

@andreamada said:
    I do not see anything wrong with it. Repeated unhandled abuses obviously lead to the service termination.

Unhandled? Did you read the OP?

• MadMad Member
    edited May 2016

@ATHK said:

@andreamada said:

Yes, I read it and I interpreted it as follows: they claim to have fixed the spam source, the provider unsuspends the service 2 times and after few days the server get suspended again because of abuses. This would mean that previous abuses were not handled properly and they proceeded with the termination.

it really depends on the severity of the abuses (DMCA reports etc.)
    It's strange though that they suspend it because of the IP being listed on spamhaus, but I personally could not judge if I do not hear from the other side.

• ATHKATHK Member

@andreamada said:
    It's strange though that they suspend it because of the IP being listed on spamhaus, but I personally could not judge if I do not hear from the other side.

Always two sides to the story though.. could've been a completely different story.

• zafouharzafouhar Veteran

I WILL STAY AWAY FROM THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• ifykoifyko Member
    edited May 2016

@andreamada said:

@ATHK said:

@andreamada said:

Yes, I read it and I interpreted it as follows: they claim to have fixed the spam source, the provider unsuspends the service 2 times and after few days the server get suspended again because of abuses. This would mean that previous abuses were not handled properly and they proceeded with the termination.

it really depends on the severity of the abuses (DMCA reports etc.)

The DMCA reports were handled properly.

I feel they always take so much time to reply their provider (wholesaleinternet)

Because i get the reports 24hours late and wholesaleinternet requires only 24hours for an update. for example, a DMCA link was reported to Wholesaleinternet on the 12th of May, then wholesaleintenet send same report to Dedispec immediately(within few minutes), Dedispec then sends the report to me after 24hours (13th of May).

• OK OK. I will stay away from them. Happy now.

You should have consider a DMCA ignored host if your DMCA violation count is this nah nothing.

• emre22emre22 Member

Why the fuq are you hosting dmca reated stuff in the us?

• If users can upload then the provider should allow the person to remove the content or even directly forward abuse emails automatically,

Don't fucking trust spamhaus.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

mtwiscool said: Don't fucking trust spamhaus.

Spamhaus doesn't list you for hosting pirated stuff...

Thanked by 1GCat
  • XenosXenos Member

@ifyko said:
    I am writing this review with sadness in my heart and tears rolling down my eyes.

You are so dramatic!

Thanked by 2edan GCat
  • GCatGCat Member

So TL;DR you're hosting content that gets lots of DMCA, you're listed in spamhaus, and you expect a reputable provider to let you stay online?

Idiots these days

Thanked by 1zaecwxlp
  • AmitzAmitz Member
    edited May 2016

Let's reduce this to its essence:

"!!!!!!!"

Whenever I see more than one exclamation mark, I skip the post anyway.

Thanked by 1theroyalstudent
  • Suggesting new title for post:

"I didn't read DMCA terms for provider. Server Gone. Poor Me!"

https://www.dedispec.com/dmca.php

"Regardless of whether we may be liable for such infringement under local country law or United States law, our response to these notices may include removing or disabling access to material claimed to be the subject of infringing activity and/or terminating subscribers."

• ifykoifyko Member

@jaypeesmith said:
    Suggesting new title for post:

"I didn't read DMCA terms for provider. Server Gone. Poor Me!"

https://www.dedispec.com/dmca.php

"Regardless of whether we may be liable for such infringement under local country law or United States law, our response to these notices may include removing or disabling access to material claimed to be the subject of infringing activity and/or terminating subscribers."

"removing or disabling access to material claimed to be the subject of infringing activity"

• You have a huge business. 300 web sites, media sharng / uploading web sites and yo do not do external back ups. Too bad. Hope you can recover your web sites somehow.

• 8QE8QE Member

Actually if you buy a server from Wholesaleinternet directly, your server will be cancelled too. They are serious on any Abuse reports.
    Receiving too many Abuse reports will cause RESELLER'S ACCOUNT DOES NOT ALLOW TO ORDER NEW SERVER.
    The cost to do a full backup 2 X 2T data is really low, just 25EUR/month from SYS :)

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Title adjusted to match situation.

• adxnadxn Member, Host Rep

when you know that you are a one little DMCA whore then why not spend some money on backup?

• @ifyko said:
    "removing or disabling access to material claimed to be the subject of infringing activity"

"..and/or terminating subscribers."

• I am loving the title change here. It makes the whole post seem like a joke.