Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS for 3 Magento ecommerce sites with individual IPs for SSL Certs - Recommendations?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS for 3 Magento ecommerce sites with individual IPs for SSL Certs - Recommendations?

MTUser2012MTUser2012 Member
edited February 2013 in General

I am getting ready to start 3 small ecommerce sites that will run Magento and be hosted by Virtualmin. Each will need its own IP as I want to do my own CC processing and run SSL. I was thinking about buying a VPS for just these sites. Something with enough memory and where the 3 extra IPs won't break the bank each month. Does anyone have any suggestions on a host that would have a package that would suit me. So long as it is in the U.S.A, location on this does not matter.

Comments

• shared hosting would be more then enough.

• How many visitors are you expecting? Otherwise yes, Shared Hosting with dedicated IPs might work.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Well, Magento can run slow if it's very busy and competing for resources on a typical overcrowded shared server (BlueHost, GoDaddy, etc.) but as curtisg said, good shared hosting might be enough.
    Except if you want to be easily PCI compliant, a nice managed cPanel VPS might be best for you. When are you going to be setting these up, as if you can wait until May you will be able to use BetterVPS.com which is going to be amazing. Meanwhile, I would highly recommend SparkNode VPS or Rackspace Cloud Servers. They are not the cheapest, however they are excellent both in service and support.

• I would go fo EC2

• @curtisg @concerto49 shared hosting might be adequate, but once you have gone over to the darkside of root access, I can't go back, I'd rather run my own VPS. Also, I had what I considered to be moderate sites in a Hostgator reseller account, but I continually got shut down for TOS violations, CPU and database usage. These same sites run just fine on a low end VPS.

• @MTUser2012 problem is downtime with LEB. Since Magento you are earning serious $$$.

• @jcaleb agreed. The miser in me can't resist the allure of a good LEB deal. But I know I am not going to get perfection in uptime or uniformity of service for less than $10 to $20 a month. I thought I was onto a winner with BuyVM before the move, but the transition was a little hard to take. Nevertheless I stuck with them and I think they deliver excellent value and I didn't have to turn my adwords campaign off too much. I just thought I might try someone new, kind of an experiment.

• RaidLogicRaidLogic Member
    edited February 2013

@MTUser2012

I highly recommend going with a fully managed vps which includes cpanel, from past experience magneto tends to be a resource hog.

Also if your going to process payment on your websites directly you may need to be pci complaint we can also help you with that.

If you need advice or what to go for a managed vps give us a try.

• @MTUser2012 Yes. I believe all LEB provider will have downtime. This is what I worry, if your site is selling stuff and very busy.

• @MTUser2012 said: want to do my own CC processing

Do you plan to get PCI Dss compilation for onsite cc handling or you are going to use a token based system like CDG commerce or stripe?

If you want to get pci dss compliance, regular openvz vps is not your answer. At bare minimum, you need a kvm vps, but a dedicated server is most suggested. Hope that helps :)

• @jcaleb said: @MTUser2012 Yes. I believe all LEB provider will have downtime. This is what I worry, if your site is selling stuff and very busy.

Then ANYTHING will have downtime. You will need clustering etc to fix it.

Even A+B power or Clouds or anything will and can have downtime.

• @concerto49 said: Then ANYTHING will have downtime. You will need clustering etc to fix it.

I phrase it wrongly, sorry.

• I have run Magento on a LEB. I'd suggest KVM, XEN, or OpenVZ with VSwap with 1 - 2 GB RAM depending on how busy the sites are. More RAM is always better as it can be used for cache to speed up the sites.

Disk performance will be noticeable so SSD or SSD cached is also ideal.

Unfortunately I don't have specific providers to suggest, but hopefully this helps a little.