Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

unmetered bandwidth dedicated servers are actually
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

unmetered bandwidth dedicated servers are actually

bugisbugis Member

I have an android application download website and uses 60 terabytes per month.

currently I use online.net and already get a warning :

We can't allow you to continuously stay at this level of usage, so we have two solutions for you : 1) You reduce your use of network bandwidth and come back to a reasonable level with the help of additional tools such as Wondershaper on Debian 2) You subscribe to the Higher bandwidth service. Server > Server List > Manage > Service Level & Options > Higher bandwidth The higher bandwidth option allows you to use more than your server's guaranteed bandwidth and thus benefit from the maximum bandwidth technically possible on your server. This functionality is subject to technical constrainsts of our infrastructure. This service is made for servers with high bandwidth needs. Higher bandwidth - 79.99 € excl. VAT /month If you don't choose any of this possibilities, we will have to slow down your server in the next 24 hours.

is there any other providers who do not ever limit bandwidth even though the ports 100-200 mbps ?

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

That was nice of them to talk to you about it and give you options as opposed to just shutting you down and sending you packing.

Remember, unmetered is not unlimited. It just means they're not enforcing a specific cap. That doesn't mean, however, that you can't push them to finding where they have to draw a line.

Thanked by 2bugis netomx
  • OVH?

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • MunMun Member

Have you looked at cloudflare to help cache your downloads?

You can also purchase another server and load balance between the two.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited May 2016

OVH is the obvious choice. They will not ask for more money or limit your bandwidth.

For more alternatives in other places:
    https://wiki.nyr.es/servidores_dedicados_low_cost

Ask for a specific provider in the list and I'll let you know if bandwidth is really unmetered.

Thanked by 1_Nic
  • Mun said: Have you looked at cloudflare to help cache your downloads?

I'm guessing it won't be much use if the files are .apk or zip, https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/articles/200172516-Which-file-extensions-does-CloudFlare-cache-for-static-content-

OVH would be your best bet, or a several Kimsufi/SYS's in different locations in round robin DNS or something simple

• @linuxthefish said:

Mun said: Have you looked at cloudflare to help cache your downloads?

I'm guessing it won't be much use if the files are .apk or zip, https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/articles/200172516-Which-file-extensions-does-CloudFlare-cache-for-static-content-

OVH would be your best bet, or a several Kimsufi/SYS's in different locations in round robin DNS or something simple

Someone said (and probably have done) that it's possible for cloudflare to cache other extensions, with the help of page rules and stuff. Not really sure if it's true though.

• msg7086msg7086 Member

Would you mind sharing what spec are you on with online.net?

Also you can try OVH VPS range, which is $3.5/month and unmetered 100mbps. Get 2 or 3 of them to achieve 60TB/month.

• dragon2611dragon2611 Member
    edited May 2016

Presumably they'd throttle it to whatever the guaranteed bandwidth is on that server?

• @TheOnlyDK said:

@linuxthefish said:

Mun said: Have you looked at cloudflare to help cache your downloads?

Someone said (and probably have done) that it's possible for cloudflare to cache other extensions, with the help of page rules and stuff. Not really sure if it's true though.

https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/articles/200172366-How-do-I-cache-everything-on-a-URL-

@bugis, I would suggest getting a paid plan for your Cloudflare if you were to use it though, I don't think they welcome such high usage on a free plan :)

(anyway, you Singaporean? bugis haha, nice place)

• MunMun Member

You can use page rules to cache certain file types that aren't included in the normal list.

It would be a good start and you can easily and quickly upgrade to the $20 personal plan to get some added bonuses. Plsu the downloads will be faster for your users.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@dragon2611 said:
    Presumably they'd throttle it to whatever the guaranteed bandwidth is on that server?

The message seems to suggest that you either manage your bandwidth yourself, upgrade or GTFO.

• MunMun Member

@Nekki said:

@dragon2611 said:

The message seems to suggest that you either manage your bandwidth yourself, upgrade or GTFO.

Can you GTFI (I being in).

• nepsneps Member

If it were me I'd take it as an opportunity to kill two birds with one stone; halve the load and increase redundancy by setting up a mirror with a different provider, as opposed to simply upgrading your bandwidth plan or moving everything elsewhere.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

Mun said: Can you GTFI (I being in).

Well that would depend on exactly where 'In' is, but I'm very open minded.

• @jarland said:
    That was nice of them to talk to you about it and give you options as opposed to just shutting you down and sending you packing.

Remember, unmetered is not unlimited. It just means they're not enforcing a specific cap. That doesn't mean, however, that you can't push them to finding where they have to draw a line.

Technically "unmetered" is "not metered". Metered comes from "meter", originating from the Greek verb μετρέω (metreo) (to measure, count or compare). Thus, "unmetered" is "not metered" or "not measured" ("not counted"). If it was a truly "unmetered" plan online.net couldn't possibly claim the OP used too much bandwidth because they wouldn't know how much bandwidth he used.
    Clearly the term "unmetered bandwidth" is a misleading marketing scam, aimed at confusing customers to think they have certain resource available when in fact they don't. Kind of like if the OP sends $20 monopoly money to Online.net as a payment for a server with "unmetered bandwidth".

Thanked by 1Plioser
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@elwebmaster said:
    scam

Really? So much about words and their origin and then you are yet another one to abuse the word 'scam'...

elwebmaster said: Technically "unmetered" is "not metered". Metered comes from "meter", originating from the Greek verb μετρέω (metreo) (to measure, count or compare). Thus, "unmetered" is "not metered" or "not measured" ("not counted"). If it was a truly "unmetered" plan online.net couldn't possibly claim the OP used too much bandwidth because they wouldn't know how much bandwidth he used. Clearly the term "unmetered bandwidth" is a misleading marketing scam, aimed at confusing customers to think they have certain resource available when in fact they don't. Kind of like if the OP sends $20 monopoly money to Online.net as a payment for a server with "unmetered bandwidth".

I guess it depends on how they're watching it really. You can go without metering but still have proper monitors in place to notice when one is causing capacity issues for another. That said, 60TB really shouldn't be what I would call reasonable for taking notice.

• ZappieZappie Member, Host Rep, LIR
    edited May 2016

jarland said: I guess it depends on how they're watching it really

I dont fully agree. When someone claims "unmetered" it should not be metered, rather than "unmetered but we will meter your usages and when it gets to an ambiguous level we will tell you to stop".
    You also mentioned that "unmetered means no cap" but in the OP's case there is clearly a cap where the OP gets asked to stop (hence hitting this "cap")

EDIT: and yes I think 60TB is a stupidly high amount of traffic for low costs and probably shouldnt be a thing, but if thats how the provider works, they should probably state "Cap is XXTB" instead of "unmetered"

Thanked by 1jar
    edited May 2016

Unmetered still doesn't mean dedicated, you still have to police your network. To argue that unmetered means that they should never ever police any kind of usage on it whatsoever (regardless of the fact that 60TB is really low usage), then they should never do anything with DDOS attacks other than let them pass.

A host should still have some respect for their other clients, unless they're selling dedicated lines that are not shared in any way with other customers. Unmetered, as a single word, does not imply such.

But yeah, this instance was too low usage and means they've overselling their bandwidth a bit too much to be selling unmetered services.

• ATHKATHK Member

The TOS actually don't mention unmetered, fair usage or anything to do with data transit.. they only mention bandwidth speeds to/fro the box..

I guess if you really wanted to you could argue that fact... or take the easier step and setup a few boxes with round robin as mentioned.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

Multiple servers with round Robbin dns?

• What server do you have with them?, 60TB is around 200Mbps average, which makes me think you got one of their dirt cheap deals.

So adding the extra bandwidth addon wont make sense, so as others have sugested, either upgrade to a server with a guranteed 500Mbps.

Or purchase extra servers of a smaller kind and LB either at DNS or server level.

• edited May 2016

Get 2x SYS and as Ashley said do load balance .
    I've seen them go beyond 300 mbits.
    SYS is OVH s cheap line.Better if you could get a kick ass RBX ovh box instead for more reliability. They have reasonable boxes with 500 mbits guaranteed.

• vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited May 2016

LB across kimsufis? cheap SYS are clearly better if they're 300M.
    30TB each easily.

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

To answer OP original post we sell 100 mbits unmetered and we do not limit but as @jarland said you have to care about other customers on the same network segment.
    As far as a i know we never had the case but if we had the situation i guess we would offer one customer to move over another segment where its network load would not impact anyone.

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

I've done 53TB so far this month on my Limited Edition 08161, and had no complaints.

• They have 200mbps guarantee so if you don't keep the avg bandwidth over that amount, they won't complain.

200mbps = 64.8TB

I am using ~45TB per month now without any issues.

• bugisbugis Member

@khuongcomputer if it reaches 60TB, dedibox in limit to 100Mbps by online.net

• bugisbugis Member

I tried kimsufi stable but the port only 100 mbps.

recommendations provider does the same with soyoustart ?

250 Mbps bandwidth unmetered.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@Nyr said:
    OVH is the obvious choice. They will not ask for more money or limit your bandwidth.

For more alternatives in other places:
    https://wiki.nyr.es/servidores_dedicados_low_cost

Ask for a specific provider in the list and I'll let you know if bandwidth is really unmetered.

Well, but they can. The TOS says they can limit you, as I read happend with Torrents for example.