Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which LE providers would you recommend for production?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which LE providers would you recommend for production?

I see here that Ramnode seems to be the most recommended.
Apart from the providers in the quarterly pool are there any others you would feel secure using for your business? Also those selected in the pool doesn't mean are sure enough for production.

Thanked by 1dediserve

Comments

• MunMun Member

Securedragon.

Buyvm.

Catalysthost.

• See my sig.

GDBI. HostUS. Both have pretty fine uptime records.

• SadySady Member

Either. Just make sure you have backups & you won't need to cry here if someone deadpools.

• LiteServerLiteServer Member, Patron Provider

Nothing wrong with LE plans/hosters if you ask me - just pick the right one.

One the things you want to look for are hosting companies that are around for a while. For a production environment you want something stable and reliable, and not a random summer host that might deadpool after a few weeks/month :-)

Thanked by 1sin
  • blackblack Member

Run a redundant setup using 2 out of the top 5 LET Provider Poll. No host can avoid hardware failure so you need to learn how to protect yourself instead of relying on others.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Like @black said. No provider is immune to failure, but find one that will handle failure the right way.

I'd probably be more likely to signup with a provider who has failed with something before, because then I can get an idea of how they handle it before I signup. I guess it could be kinda like a relationship, have to be able to deal with each other at both their best and worst.

But in any case, need to be able to take care of yourself too with offsite backups etc.

Thanked by 1NickMNXio
  • K4Y5K4Y5 Member

Going with a LE Provider is a lot like living on the edge. Its fun and exhilarating as long as you have a back-up / insurance policy.

Having said that, you'd probably have to fall back on your back-ups a lot less if you keep production services limited to the top hosts like RamNode, BuyVM, Prometeus etc.

• ericlsericls Member, Patron Provider

I think lunanode worth considering.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited May 2016

Some cheap but great production-ready providers which are never voted in the polls:

• ProviderService
    • vScale
    • ITL DC

Some other providers which are small but reliable overall:

• SecureDragon
    • GinerNet

Those are just personal suggestions of what I use! There are many more reliable providers which deserve your business.

sandro said: Also those selected in the pool doesn't mean are sure enough for production.

Indeed. There are a bunch of them which no one sane would use in production, poll results aren't directly related to quality. With this I'm not saying that (for example) RamNode, DigitalOcean, Prometeus, etc... aren't good.

• lazytlazyt Member

Enough backups and fall overs and you can use any of them. But that kind of kills the cheap part of the equation. You have to remember that all hosts will have problems at one time or another and be ready for it.

• I like Hostrail and GVH for my production boxes.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

I sure agree with the "plan for disaster, do failover, etc..." part, but even then you can't use a shitty provider for production.

Packet loss, subpar connectivity, frequent reboots, I/O wait, overloaded CPU cores, providers with no sense of customer privacy, providers with entire nodes hacked and exposed, spear phishing... just some examples which we've seen recently and happen much more often at shitty providers.

It is costly to plan automatic failover for all of those situations depending on what you are hosting and some have irreversible consequences.

Yes, plan for disaster. But host your stuff with a decent provider and you'll sleep better at night.

Thanked by 1sin
  • I am a hobbyist so take it with a grain of salt but I would add hostigation to the mix.
    One reboot in 4yrs that can be attributed to the provider, consistent network quality.

Thanked by 1miTgiB
  • AmitzAmitz Member

I mostly trust Prometeus with everything that is at least slightly important to me.

• DH22DH22 Member
    edited May 2016

I can't think of any hosts that advertise here I would use for production (excluding mxroute for email). For $7 or under I would use DO or AWS if not much RAM or bandwidth is needed. If more RAM or bandwidth is needed and a little bit of downtime is acceptable, then I use OVH SSD VPS. My most important production usage is on a really expensive Steadfast dedicated though. I have wanting to move away from Steadfast for a long time to save money, but I can't find any providers in north east USA with a network as good as Steadfast (aside from maybe Softlayer which is even more expensive).

• Nyr said: ProviderService

It's about time somebody said that. I've never understood how they aren't mentioned that often, I guess everybody wants to keep them their little secret.

Have a long history with those guys and they are the best.

Thanked by 1ProviderService
  • sandrosandro Member

@DH22 said:
    I can't think of any hosts that advertise here I would use for production

That's interesting.

• sinsin Member
    edited May 2016

There's quite a few hosts on here that are very reliable but you just have to use your brain when choosing a host from here :).

• jcalebjcaleb Member

catalyst prometeus

• There is about 40 LE providers I never had any problem with. And about the same number of providers I had some (minor or major) problem with. Most of the cloud providers are in the second category.

• I like Hostrail

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • Dediserve, hostus, impactvps.

Thanked by 1Awmusic12635
  • tr1ckytr1cky Member
    edited May 2016

For me production ready means to be transparent to the clients and to be fast when shit happens.

Neither of which hostus is. I can't understand the several recommendations for hostus in here.

• jaejae Member

no one recomending leaseweb? i really want to use their smallest plan...

• MadMad Member

You may take a look at it:
    https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/1531414

It will help a lot.

• sandrosandro Member

@Junkless said:
    Dediserve, hostus, impactvps.

Isn't dediserve expensive?

• @jae said:

i have one for my production, i use leaseweb singapore.
    no problem until today.

here the bench freevps:

wget freevps.us/downloads/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash
    Benchmark started on Wed May 11 09:34:01 UTC 2016
    Full benchmark log: /root/bench.log

System Info
    -----------
    Processor       : QEMU Virtual CPU version 1.2.1
    CPU Cores       : 1
    Frequency       : 2299.998 MHz
    Memory          : 996 MB
    Swap            : 4095 MB
    Uptime          : 89 days, 9:22,

OS              : CentOS release 6.7 (Final)
    Arch            : x86_64 (64 Bit)
    Kernel          : 2.6.32-504.8.1.el6.x86_64
    Hostname        : xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Speedtest (IPv4 only)
    ---------------------
    Your public IPv4 is xxx.xxx.xx.xx

Location                Provider        Speed
    CDN                     Cachefly        21.8MB/s

Atlanta, GA, US         Coloat          8.47MB/s
    Dallas, TX, US          Softlayer       9.54MB/s
    Seattle, WA, US         Softlayer       11.0MB/s
    San Jose, CA, US        Softlayer       12.0MB/s
    Washington, DC, US      Softlayer       8.18MB/s

Tokyo, Japan            Linode          25.4MB/s
    Singapore               Softlayer       79.3MB/s

Rotterdam, Netherlands  id3.net         9.88MB/s
    Haarlem, Netherlands    Leaseweb        8.16MB/s

Disk Speed
    ----------
    I/O (1st run)   : 82.0 MB/s
    I/O (2nd run)   : 78.9 MB/s
    I/O (3rd run)   : 80.2 MB/s
    Average I/O     : 80.3667 MB/s

• tommytommy Member

@jae said:

I use leaseweb for few month and nothing to complaint :)

• @sandro said:

Compared to what ? 5.5$ for a dedicated core HA cloud VM with 1 GB Memory and 30 GB Disk might not be expensive for some depending on the usage scenario.

• tommytommy Member

@Junkless said:

@sandro said:

Compared to what ? 5.5$ for a dedicated core HA cloud VM with 1 GB Memory and 30 GB Disk might not be expensive for some depending on the usage scenario.

It really expensive if you need debian 8 :)