Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[How to?] I -> OpenVPN -> TOR (OpenVPN through TOR, OpenVPN over TOR)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[How to?] I -> OpenVPN -> TOR (OpenVPN through TOR, OpenVPN over TOR)

02mia0202mia02 Member

Hello, How do I set this system OpenVPN?

I -> OpenVPN -> TOR

If that information can tell did for Ubuntu?

Thanks. @Nyr

Comments

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

This is usually a bad idea.

It has some use cases I guess, but is preferable to use the Tor Browser Bundle or similar if that's enough for you.

If you really need to pass all your traffic via Tor plus a VPN, I would use a layered setup where both are separate.

• Why would anyone want to lose the anonymity provided by tor?

• 02mia0202mia02 Member

@Droidzone said:
    Why would anyone want to lose the anonymity provided by tor?

I do not fully understand. @Droidzone

@Nyr said:
    This is usually a bad idea.

It has some use cases I guess, but is preferable to use the Tor Browser Bundle or similar if that's enough for you.

If you really need to pass all your traffic via Tor plus a VPN, I would use a layered setup where both are separate.

Can I set the way I want? Is it possible? @Nyr

02mia02 said: I do not fully understand.

He is insisting in how what you want is likely a bad idea.

Can I set the way I want? Is it possible?

Possible, yes. If you let us know your use case, we could likely suggest a proper approach.

• 02mia0202mia02 Member

@Nyr said:

02mia02 said: I do not fully understand.

He is insisting in how what you want is likely a bad idea.

Can I set the way I want? Is it possible?

Possible, yes. If you let us know your use case, we could likely suggest a proper approach.

Thank you. I am a journalist. Press freedom in my country in a troubled situation. I want to do this. I would appreciate if you help. @Nyr

02mia02 said: Thank you. I am a journalist. Press freedom in my country in a troubled situation. I want to do this. I would appreciate if you help.

I am very interested to help you if that's indeed the case.

That's why I insist that using Tor over OpenVPN to maintain your anonymity is a bad idea. The Tor Browser Bundle and other distributions like Tails are made so fingerprinting and state sponsored attacks are much more difficult than with a regular browser or operating system.

If you want to maintain your anonymity, I suggest you first and foremost compartmentalization of your journalistic activity from your personal stuff. You need to use a VM or different computer for this activity. For the software part, either the Tor Browser Bundle or Tails are decent choices for the less technically minded people. Using a standard browser inside of your regular OS with a VPN is a very bad choice which can lead to your compromise easily.

If you are indeed doing reporting in an oppressive regime, I am happy to give you as much technical advice as you need adapted to your specific situation. I've actually helped threatened journalists previously. Please, feel free to email me if you want, I will do consulting for you free of charge.

Thanked by 202mia02 ThracianDog
  • 02mia0202mia02 Member

@Nyr said:

02mia02 said: Thank you. I am a journalist. Press freedom in my country in a troubled situation. I want to do this. I would appreciate if you help.

I am very interested to help you if that's indeed the case.

That's why I insist that using Tor over OpenVPN to maintain your anonymity is a bad idea. The Tor Browser Bundle and other distributions like Tails are made so fingerprinting and state sponsored attacks are much more difficult than with a regular browser or operating system.

If you want to maintain your anonymity, I suggest you first and foremost compartmentalization of your journalistic activity from your personal stuff. You need to use a VM or different computer for this activity. For the software part, either the Tor Browser Bundle or Tails are decent choices for the less technically minded people. Using a standard browser inside of your regular OS with a VPN is a very bad choice which can lead to your compromise easily.

If you are indeed doing reporting in an oppressive regime, I am happy to give you as much technical advice as you need adapted to your specific situation. I've actually helped threatened journalists previously. Please, feel free to email me if you want, I will do consulting for you free of charge.

Thank you so much. I will send you a detailed e-mail as soon as possible.