Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which Self Hosted Monitoring ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which Self Hosted Monitoring ?

UmairUmair Member
edited May 2016 in General

I know this question has been asked many times before. I thought its been a while so its worth to discuss what you are using now.

I have been playing with librenms for past few days. For some weird reason, its CPU usage reporting is always off for all of the servers setup. (Some OpenVZ, someKVM and a few dedi)
Still playing with it. (i.e. its reporting more CPU usage than its actually is)

I even tried Zabbix but I got kinda lost in it. Probably not meant for small setups.

I have been even considering amon.cx a try. At least their website seems pretty clean. The demo is not so clean though (Looks like its gui is similar to Observium/Librenms).

Anyone using mmonit.com (Paid version) ?

Anyone using Amon.cx here ??

I am not looking something too fancy (Like Nagios) since I only have like 20 servers/vps to monitor.

So back to question. Which Self Hosting monitoring you are using ???

(If you give some details on how many server monitoring and what kinda server spec is needed, that be awesome)

Thanks

Comments

• MunMun Member

Observium

Thanked by 1Hxxx
  • pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

If windows is an option, you can try prtg

• I personally use NIIXStats but if i have more than 50 servers to monitor i would think about Self hosted but for now as you mentioned you have 20 servers so NIIXStats will be a good choice

• You sure it's not just the way to stacks the graphs/displays the per core load?

Also don't forget it polled via SNMP periodically

also Observium/Librenms are fairly similar given Librenms was forked from Observium

Thanked by 1Umair
  • UmairUmair Member

@simonindia said:
    I personally use NIIXStats but if i have more than 50 servers to monitor i would think about Self hosted but for now as you mentioned you have 20 servers so NIIXStats will be a good choice

I still prefer to use self hosted. I have 20 right now but in next 2/3 months it be going up.

@dragon2611 said:
    You sure it's not just the way to stacks the graphs/displays the per core load?

Also don't forget it polled via SNMP periodically

also Observium/Librenms are fairly similar given Librenms was forked from Observium

Honestly, not sure. I might be missing something somewhere.
    On few VM, where the avg load has never been above 1, it should average load to be under 10.

Still looking into it.

• UmairUmair Member

Correction.
    Looks like I was wrong. LibreNMS is only reporting incorrect CPU usage for VM running using OpenVZ. For KVM, its actually seems correct.

May be a bug with OpenVZ/SNMP?

• LiteServerLiteServer Member, Patron Provider

Observium/Librenms has my vote. Never had any issues with CPU usage reporting, but i'm mainly monitoring physical servers or KVM VM's. Could indeed be related to OpenVZ - i'll take a look to see if I can reproduce CPU usage weirdness the OP is referring too on a OpenVZ VM.

Thanked by 1Umair
  • alexnjhalexnjh Member

I use nagios even though I only have around 20 servers.

Librenms is a good choice.

• LiteServerLiteServer Member, Patron Provider

Nagios is pretty cool and rock solid, but the interface is just so 1990.

• @Umair said:
    Correction.
    Looks like I was wrong. LibreNMS is only reporting incorrect CPU usage for VM running using OpenVZ. For KVM, its actually seems correct.

May be a bug with OpenVZ/SNMP?

Maybe I've seen it report the whole host in an LXC container.

• cassacassa Member

@LiteServer said:
    Nagios is pretty cool and rock solid, but the interface is just so 1990.

That's one thing I like about Nagios, they didn't add unnecessary effort in the design

• UmairUmair Member

Anyone here used "centreon" ?

• HaBangNetHaBangNet Member, Host Rep

Nagios was good, we set our own monitoring from our in-house department and also using 3rd party monitoring for double update.

• Hello again,

Its been a while since I posted this thread. There have been only few replies. I thought I will update it and ask if there is a new player in the mix.

Please note, only asking for "Self Hosted" monitoring solution. (Free or Paid).

Anyone here used/tested amon.cz OR OpsDash ?
    Seems kinda nice.

Anyone here used mmonit ?? (Paid version? )

Thanks

• Thanked by 1sin
  • @eastonch said:
    That is nice.

It is, but it's not centralized and requires individual installations which is a real downfall.

• @Jacob said:

@eastonch said:
    That is nice.

It is, but it's not centralized and requires individual installations which is a real downfall.

Although it's not centralised. It can display multiple server installations via its interface.

Thanked by 1Jacob
  • We use zabbix4, metrics are accurate under KVM/Dedicated boxes/OpenVZ instances, best way to monitor a bunch of servers and is highly customizable on what you want to monitor.